Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

local elections - trim

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 -unlaoised-

just wondering if anybody got phil cantwell's election leaflet through their door?
    Fairly mad stuff!
    Quote from it - There is no place for strokes, nods and winks Cute hoors (blacked out but you can still read it) in a country trying to save its ruined economy..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

just wondering if anybody got phil cantwell's election leaflet through their door?
    Fairly mad stuff!
    Quote from it - There is no place for strokes, nods and winks Cute hoors (blacked out but you can still read it) in a country trying to save its ruined economy..... :)

He really needs to drop the whole Trim Castle Hotel thing though. that's long gone - get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Fairly mad stuff!
    greendom wrote: »
    He really needs to drop the whole Trim Castle Hotel thing though. that's long gone - get over it.

Was Phil Cantwell aligned with the M3 protesters a while ago or did I hear wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CathalOS

If "Your one and only truly Independent Councillor" Phil Cantwell is opposed to the 'eyesore' that is the Trim Castle Hotel, maybe he should turn his attention to the 'scrap-yard' at the end of Patrick Street first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

CathalOS wrote: »
    If "Your one and only truly Independent Councillor" Phil Cantwell is opposed to the 'eyesore' that is the Trim Castle Hotel, maybe he should turn his attention to the 'scrap-yard' at the end of Patrick Street first?

I agree that the Trim Castle hotel is an eyesore. I have a faint recollection of it being on the Pat kenny show,
    was there some shenanigans regarding the planning for the monstrosity ?

What’s the scrap yard you are referring to?

• Advertisement

>>regarding the planning for the monstrosity ?

Are you referring to the TCH or the antennas etc at the Cantwell household?

>>What’s the scrap yard you are referring to?

See above.

>>regarding the planning for the monstrosity ?

Are you referring to the TCH or the antennas etc at the Cantwell household?

>>What’s the scrap yard you are referring to?

See above.

Hotel. Where's the scrap yard???

I dont think Trim Castle Hotel is an eyesore at all.

What scrap yard on Patrick St? The hardware shop maybe?

It was a subtle poke at the Cantwell abode, with the scrap cars and hideous antenna masts (none raised with planning, I understand)

What are the masts for?

• Advertisement

It was a subtle poke at the Cantwell abode, with the scrap cars and hideous antenna masts (none raised with planning, I understand)

Never noticed any scrap cars outside his house tbh.

Also I read in the Chronicle that his mast is there for quite a number of years and so he is entitled to have automatic planning permission.
    spadder wrote: »
    What are the masts for?

He is interested in Ham Radio I believe

I wasn't aware it was even his house, never really noticed the masts before this thread. It's not really an election issue.

The real issue is Jobs and how the council is going to do everything possible to foster business.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I agree that the Trim Castle hotel is an eyesore. I have a faint recollection of it being on the Pat kenny show,
    was there some shenanigans regarding the planning for the monstrosity ?

?

There were some dodgy goings on, but the ends definitely justify the means here. Trim would be a worse place without it especially as the alternative was a coach car park

It's a fabulous addition to the town.

What with Trim Castle Hotel, Knigstbrook not forgetting the revamped Castle Arch and Brogan's, Trim has the accommodation to consider itself a tourist town.
    Sending out barely legible photocopies, highlighting said shenanigans is just sour grapes imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Damn, didn't see this 'till now.

Fair play Trevor for exposing the shennagins of a number of posters on this thread. Some more subtle than others. I particularly like the way it was intimated that Caroline Lynch (who doesn't even live in the Trim electoral area, never mind the town) has done anything for anybody in the town. An Phoblacht even has her down as having been elected in 2004 when she has in fact been co-opted and Sinn Féin have left their seat empty for most of the last five years. The other blatants seem to have run for the hills.

Most who know me here on Boards will know that I am a sitting councillor on Trim TC. Unfortunately I missed a fair bit of the last year and a half for health reasons but have been on the Council since 1999. The juristiction of Trim TC is extremely limited and well beyond the scope of much of what has been discussed here. That said, Trevor has pointed out the significant difference between the development of the part of the town within our remit compared to that outside it.

The roadworks have been a pain but when finished, as High St. and Haggard St. show, it will heve been worth it. As someone said in Focus a few weeks ago the council over the last five years has been one of the best ever. It has taken brave decisions and the benefits are now showing. Even though the new sports centre is outside the boundery it could not have been built without support from the Town Council.

Noel Dempsey tried to make out on Q and A the other night that councils without a Fianna Fail majority don't work. Well the last five years have proved that in Trim's case it can and does.

I always find it odd when people expect the Town Council to manage the economy and commerce of the town. On the meagre budget that it recieves from Government is is amazing that it can do anything of substance to be honest.That's one of the reasons we were forced to bring in paid parking for example. (Every penny of which is going to the upgrading of the streets and will continue to do so as it is ring-fenced for that purpose). Surely the people making their living should take on a large part of that responsibility (the economic issues)? In my 10 years on the council the Chamber has been practically non existant. In the most progressive towns in the country you will find that they have a vibrant Chamber of Commerce who work hand in hand with the council.

As for Dónall running and us keeping it in the family ;-) Anyone that knows us will know that we both have our own minds and none more so than Dónall. I'll get him to drop in here and speak for himself if I can get him off the canvass.

As for the Trim Castle Hotel. Well I think it is OK and looks pretty well but there was a time I didn't. Who was the only person in Trim to pay his money and formally object to it in the first place? Yes, me. I don't really have much time for people that mouth off about stuff and complain but when a chance comes up to do something about it they don't. Phil Cantwell is one of these. He didn't object. And it's not as if he didn't know how to. Hypocritical is a mild way of describing his recent ranting literature.

It's important to say that very shortly the town boundaries will be extended. This makes this the most important election ever for Trim TC. Whereas before the majority of people could vote for the TC the TC had no juristiction over their area. That will soon change. (The present area is just from Navangate to the barracks approx and draw a circle from that midpoint.)

Anyway, I'm finishing up in June for the health reasons mentioned earlier. I feel proud to have had the chance and honoured greatly for the privilege. I'll leave ye with this shot I took in New York while on what some would consider a St. Patrick's Day junket a few years ago:

48999E6D9F154E34A65B042A32B60265-500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 oslosinclair

Trevor can you explain why a number of the policy initiatives you have put in the focus, you and the other Councillor, have just admitted in previous posts are outside your power to deliver?

In a previous post it was stated by a council colleague that a number of the suggestions made by people on this thread are outside the power of the Council...stuff around the economic management of the town....and yet in your policy document you promise to transform the town into some sort of Irish silicon valley? How Trevor....

And does anyone else find it kinda creepy that Trevor Golden appears to be trying to meet up with me face to face for a date some day in Trim?

After the election, maybe, if you're elected of course....power is a great aphrodisiac etc etc. I'm flattered you're so interested in who I am, but why should you need to see me in my wonderful flesh to discuss things?

And as for you're lack of preparedness.. I never insinuated that...but now that you mention it. But to be fair, from trying to get through your wordy and worthy policy doc in the focus, I'd say you must have given the person who wrote it for you lots of notice...

I love the way the two existing councillors come on the site to throw their hands up and say...all these suggestions are outside our control....well if that's the case what is the point of ye? In fairness to ye, ye sounded like grown-up politicians there with your 'not my fault' answers.

If people, ie Boards dwellers, (some of whom are obvious political cronies) seem in the majority to ask for something then shouldn't the Council try to respond....it's particularly depressing to see that none of you seem interested in radical thinking at all.

And Spadder, if you haven't noticed... masts are an issue in the local election, the residents of Mornington heights have been terrified by three candidates in succession, Butler, Lynch ni co-optin, and cantwell who claim that a mast there is causing cancer.

On the subject of masts, will you nail your colours to the mast and tell us your agenda?

As a floating voter I would like to see openness from all the candidates. The earlier attempts at FF subliminal messaging didn’t really work out.

On the subject of masts, will you nail your colours to the mast and tell us your agenda?
    +1
    Yeah, what is your agenda?

"Creepy" because a Cllr. offers to meet you and discuss things? Give us a break. You are the one that seems to have something to hide.

I seems pretty obvious where you are coming from and it certainly isn't Trim. Nobody living in the town could be so ignorant of what is actually happening here.

Oh! And could we hear one positive comment? One? Ah! Go one I bet you could force one out? No? Sure next time put your name on the ballot and sort us all out so.........

P.S. What does this waffle mean?
    If people, ie Boards dwellers, (some of whom are obvious political cronies) seem in the majority to ask for something then shouldn't the Council try to respond....it's particularly depressing to see that none of you seem interested in radical thinking at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Well said, here is one voter that has taken note that the "McKenna 3" havent answered the basic questions that myself and others have asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

And does anyone else find it kinda creepy that Trevor Golden appears to be trying to meet up with me face to face for a date some day in Trim?

Pfffftttttttt...... If he was rejecting a request for a meeting from you then you'd have something to complain about. If you decide not to take up his offer well fair enough - your prerogative but don't blame a political representative who is offering to give to you some of his personal time to understand your point of view and perhaps influence his. How the heck else is he or any other elected member supposed to understand what the people of Trim which they are duty bound to represent actually want for the town. They need to talk to people, meet with people, to deliberate on issues of the day rather than proceeding with issues on a whim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jf500ni2669

dixiefly wrote: »
    Well said, here is one voter that has taken note that the "McKenna 3" havent answered the basic questions that myself and others have asked.

I have just noticed this comment about the mcKenna 3!!!

Can I just say I have no relationship with Ronan Mc Kenna. I was impressed with discussions I had with him when he called on the canvas trail and felt he could do a lot for Trim and would be a suitable new councillor for the young people. Also just to confirm I don't know who the other two are either.

I have always looked on boards to see what has been happening in Meath and decided to offer my opinions on this topic, didn't know it was criminal to offer my opinions.

By the way where are all these basic questions I seemingly haven't answered?

Everyone is entitled to the own opinion and I was just offering mine. By the way spadder (spammer) can you let us know your views providing you are now finished complaining about everyone else's. Are you planning to run for councillor or is your name already in the hat?

• Advertisement

I have just noticed this comment about the mcKenna 3!!! Can I just say I have no relationship with Ronan Mc Kenna.

Do you honestly think we are all that thick? Hilarious:D:rolleyes:!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gustavine

I have just noticed this comment about the mcKenna 3!!!

Can I just say I have no relationship with Ronan Mc Kenna.

Nice to see you jump to conclusion as one of the mckenna 3! now its so obvious that you are! :pac::pac:Shane? Andy?:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jf500ni2669

dixiefly wrote: »
    Good to see a bit of openess from a candidate.

I wonder will nodrog, oslosinclair & jf500... explain their relationship to McKenna. As I said before, I am sceptical about posters that seem to register just to post on a particular topic. I could be wrong but it just doesnt add up.
    When you add to that the fact there are 3 newbies posting on an election thread and all pushing the SAME CANDIDATE then you would really have to wonder.

Here you are read the posts befor you make any comments!!!!!

quote=jf500ni2669;60468631]Here you are read the posts befor you make any comments!!!!![/quote]

Agreed. I think he hasn't quite picked up on the affiliations ;)

I also think that people don't realise how easy to figure out who they are is. The internet these days in not a safe place to stay anonymous. :D:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Thanks for the mention on the campaign trail today Shane. You'll have to try and concentrate a bit harder.

Apparently while denying all knowledge of this thread one of the McKenna 3 let it slip that they had noticed that I had posted here this morning.....tut tut!!! :D

P.S. Nearly forgot....Thank Noel for pointing out all the work done in the last five years in the latest FF flyer. Especially the work done on the streets. This has been 100% funded by the parking fees which the Town council introduced and administer. For those who don't know Fianna Fail have not been in power on the Town Council for the last five years......That doesn't stop them taking the credit for all the work though. Par for the course, naturally :)

P.P.S. Even though the comment traffic had died a bit here I notice over 300 views in 24 hours so the readership is high at least.

Here you are read the posts befor you make any comments!!!!!

Which posts?

I dont have any agenda on this, I am not affilliated to anyone in the election. If you say you are not connected to Ronan McKenna then I accept that. I was pointing out that it was very strange that there were 3 new posters to Boards and they all seemed to be only interested in saying that they were supporting McKenna in the election.

I thought (and still do) that this is unusual. If it were people that were regular posters on a number of topics I would not care. But it seemed to me that certain people were registering and then (innocently) saying that they were canvassed by McKenna and he was a nice guy etc. Not the exact words (and I am not going to waste my evening trawling through posts) but that was the tone of the posts.

NEWSFLASH:

Labour candidate Dónall O'Brien has torn ligaments in his ankle (no he wasn't taking a swipe at an opposition candidate!). It means that it will be impossible for him to finish his complete canvass though he will get around to each area and be available to talk to anyone that wants to hear what he has to say.

So if you had no reason to vote for him you can now at least consider giving him a sympathy vote. It is very very sore! ;)

Before the Ronan 3 jump in and say that this was all planned weeks ago let me assure them that we didn't think of it until Friday night.

DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation whatsoever to Dónall except that I am his dad.

By the way spadder (spammer) can you let us know your views providing you are now finished complaining about everyone else's. Are you planning to run for councillor or is your name already in the hat?

As I mentioned in previous posts, I am new enough to Trim and I wanted to find out more about local candidates before the election.
    I like the fact that Trevor and Valentia and son have joined us here and made a healthy contribution. You could probably work out for yourself that I’m no fan of FF, locally or nationally. I hope they are decimated on Friday.

I would consider running for council in a few years, and if I were running I would make a point of openly declaring myself available for questions here on the boards. None of the childish subterfuge that has incensed me and other genuine posters.

Hopefully Friday will begin the process of purging this country of the rot, corruption and cronyism that has left Ireland the laughing stock of the world markets.

The most sickening of all, Crumlin hospital is being denied €10m for the care of our youngest, weakest citizens and you read of the waste perpetrated by Dempsey and his E-voting debacle.

Those are some my views. Would you like me to elaborate further? Because the list of the failings and incompetence of this government is endless.

For no other reason than the whole debacle and assorted crimes associated with property in the country then this shower of gangsters need toi be turfed out.

They ceated the environment for the skullduggery and in some cases gained from it.

I (unfortunately) voted for Dempsey in the last election as I thought hat he had done good for the town overall.

I would like to ask those posters that have been pushing the case for FF and Ronan McKenna in particular what their opinion is of the economic policies pursued by FF over the last 10 or so years? What their opinion is of people such as Bertie Ahern, Padraic Flynn, Donie Cassidy etc. etc?

Any honest FF candidate (and there are quite a few) must be totally embarrassed at the goings on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Valentia wrote: »
    NEWSFLASH:

Labour candidate Dónall O'Brien has torn ligaments in his ankle (no he wasn't taking a swipe at an opposition candidate!). It means that it will be impossible for him to finish his complete canvass though he will get around to each area and be available to talk to anyone that wants to hear what he has to say.

So if you had no reason to vote for him you can now at least consider giving him a sympathy vote. It is very very sore! ;)

Before the Ronan 3 jump in and say that this was all planned weeks ago let me assure them that we didn't think of it until Friday night.

DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation whatsoever to Dónall except that I am his dad.

An honest politician in our midst :D

Advertisement