Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

local elections - trim

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

It's so frustrating depending on the media. 24 hours behind in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Valentia wrote: »
    Ye probably know but here are the winners:

Butler (FG)
    Golder (Ind)
    Reilly (FG)
    McKenna (FF)
    O'Shea (Lab)
    O'Brien (Lab) (yippee!!!!)
    Cantwell(Ind)
    McHugh(FF)
    Fay(FG)

One observation - although a fair mix in the result line up from a perceived political ideology point of view, and not that it is any one of the candidates fault, BUT no female councillor at all on Trim Town Council? Not even one out of the nine seats.

I appreciate this is democracy in action. The town did have two (?) female candidates. Based on an cursory assessment from the Indo's partially complete results table (accept that perhaps it doesn't give the entire picture) - one candidate which appears to have been swamped by the party voting strategy and one that didn't appear to feature in the eligible electors conciousness.

I wonder will the town affairs be better or worse as a result of it?

The Meath County Council Trim Area did succeed to elect the labour candidate Tracy McElhinny so good luck to her.

By the way - i'm in no way suggesting that a female candidate should be in some way be given a hand in the right direction because of her sex. They obviously must earn their place from the electorate. Perhaps this is simply representative of politics in Ireland and more acute at local level?

I think that women have more sense. Honestly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    As the recession shifts on a bit then you could consider the physical changes that you might effect - paths and trails, ponds, seating areas, a performance amphitheatre perhaps - now wouldn't that be a treasure to behold. We've always needed a theatre. There would be umteen problems with the physical side of it, but the end product would be worth it.

Whatever happened to the plans for a theatre here? Remember the Duchas lotto every week to raise money for it? Whatever happened to the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Who was the bright spark who thought it would be a good idea to have the new Aura Leisure centre as a counting centre on Saturday, the busiest day of the week there. Complete chaos and pandemonium all around the centre, major traffic hold ups on the Kinnegad Road. Well done lads!

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Who was the bright spark who thought it would be a good idea to have the new Aura Leisure centre as a counting centre on Saturday, the busiest day of the week there. Complete chaos and pandemonium all around the centre, major traffic hold ups on the Kinnegad Road. Well done lads!

Was it not in the GAA hall? I wasn't there but when I saw the signs pointing in that direction, I assumed it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Was it not in the GAA hall? I wasn't there but when I saw the signs pointing in that direction, I assumed it was.

No, the TTC count was conducted in the sports hall at the Aura, the MCC count for all five electoral areas (Dunshaughlin, Kells, Navan, Slane and Trim) was conducted in Trim GAA, afaik.

upmeath wrote: »
    No, the TTC count was conducted in the sports hall at the Aura, the MCC count for all five electoral areas (Dunshaughlin, Kells, Navan, Slane and Trim) was conducted in Trim GAA, afaik.

That is correct. Nobody had thought much about the traffic situation though.

As for the theatre: The money, €100,000, is in the Credit Union (some of that belongs to Scurlogstown and is for their folk park). You must have missed the ongoing discussions about the theatre in the media and at Town Council meetings ;). Initially the Church of Ireland school was purchased with the intention of examining the site for a joint theatre/library. This is ongoing though in the present climate I can't see it happening. In Dónall's election literature he proposes that the Town Hall should be renovated and used. This seems to be a popular alternative among the drama and musical people. We will see what happens. I would safely predict that all the work done so far will come to fruition in the term of this council.

For anyone interested Paul Moore has posted some videos of the count here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TrimTownNews

For anyone interested Paul Moore has posted some videos of the count here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TrimTownNews

That's mad - oh and very, very good :)

Trim's own TV channel.

• Advertisement

As for the theatre: The money, €100,000, is in the Credit Union (some of that belongs to Scurlogstown and is for their folk park). You must have missed the ongoing discussions about the theatre in the media and at Town Council meetings ;).

Must have. I really should read the papers and Focus:)
    In Dónall's election literature he proposes that the Town Hall should be renovated and used. This seems to be a popular alternative among the drama and musical people.

Didn't actually see Donall's - saw James O'Shea's ok. Sounds like a good idea. The Town Hall already has a lot of history with the two societies and would make sense.

BTW - well done to Donall - first time out and made it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

What way did the county elections end up?

Trim Area:

Butler, Ray, Fine Gael
    Carey, Bill, Fine Gael
    Fegan, Jimmy, Fianna Fáil
    McElhinney, Tracy, The Labour Party

Full details over here

I haven't laughed as much in years: Beware...a few foul words....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bvv_F46N64

I haven't laughed as much in years: Beware...a few foul words....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bvv_F46N64

Well I just PMSL - tears and everything :D

Ah! So FF are going around hinting that they are going to challenge the result! Be jay we might get three Labour seats yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 oslosinclair

Folks,

I've been asked to make you aware of the Trim Swift Festival going ahead in Trim on the 2nd to the 5th of July.

It's a festival in honour of Jonathan Swift, the recognised leading international satirist.... between academic lectures and Nob Nation there's bound to be some info that'll sharpen the swords of group for politician bashing!! :P:P

www.trimswiftfestival.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Donallob

Hi Guys,

Donall O'Brien here, son of Valentia. Thanks for support. It was a tough campaign but ultimately very enjoyable.

Starting off as a new candidate its a daunting experience (even with dads help). I have to say though after our first meeting I would be very optimistic. We have a broad range of people on the council who, I believe, have the town at heart. The Idea of renovating the town hall would be very high on our agenda.

Of course the economic climate is not very helpful for these kind of ventures, but I think with the money already there and the support of the council and the people, make it a project that is very realistic. I have always said that we do not need a multi-million euro showhouse. We need a decent, up-to-date venue that will reflect the hard work done that the local groups over the years.

I know for sure that we will work hard to make this a reality.

P.S The fair on Sunday should be fun ~ I hear that they may be auctioning off some of the Council members for charity!! I'm well able to cut grass so that should be worth at least a fiver!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Hi Donall,

Firstly, well done on your election. Are the minutes of the your first meeting online?

I know it would be nice to renovate the town hall, but I feel creating an enterprise centre, creating sustainable jobs and fostering business in the town should be the first priority of the TC.

edit "P.S The fair on Sunday should be fun ~ I hear that they may be auctioning off some of the Council members for charity!! I'm well able to cut grass so that should be worth at least a fiver!! " - I thought a good Labour man would at least demand minimum wage ;-)

spadder wrote: »
    Hi Donall,

Firstly, well done on your election. Are the minutes of the your first meeting online?

I know it would be nice to renovate the town hall, but I feel creating an enterprise centre, creating sustainable jobs and fostering business in the town should be the first priority of the TC.

edit "P.S The fair on Sunday should be fun ~ I hear that they may be auctioning off some of the Council members for charity!! I'm well able to cut grass so that should be worth at least a fiver!! " - I thought a good Labour man would at least demand minimum wage ;-)

Not Dónall, but I'd like to make a few observations.I'm sure Dónall will comment when he sees this too.

I think it's worth pointing out, again, that the remit of the Town Council is only within the area of Navan Gate to the barracks. Their budget is also minuscule. This will change when the boundaries are extended. Most of what you mention is, at the moment, within the remit of the County Council.

It's also worth mentioning that despite the Town Council's limited jurisdiction the renovation of the Town Hall gives it it's best opportunity to generate revenue and employment. I don't know if you remember the folk theatre when it was operating. Well Siamse Tire, the folk theatre in Tralee, attracts 150,000 visitors a year. The upgrading of the town hall would open up the opportunity to re launch the folk theatre and encourage the tens of thousands of visitors who only visit the castle and disappear to stay longer. The potential in such an artistically rich town is enormous.

I would also hope that the largely dormant, until now, Chamber of Commerce will begin to take on some of its responsibility. If you ask any shop leaser in town they will tell you that the biggest hindrance that they have had in the last ten years is the high rents that they have had to pay.

I don't think the minutes of the meeting are online yet but Ray Butler listed the main priorities for the Council in the next five years and I think the Chronicle may have reported them this week. I'm sure Ray would be happy to give you a copy if you contact him.

• Advertisement

Hi Spadder,

The minutes are not up as of yet. When they are I will post the link here.

I agree with you in regards to the enterprise centre. I think job creation is going to be a major part of all councils across the country. I think a project like this will have to be a joint project with the Chamber of Commerce. Honestly I would like to sit down with some planners and members of the Chamber to find out the logistics of such a project and educate myself a bit more.

I don't think it is any harm in the council looking into these projects now because we know the boundaries are going to be extended within this term.

I would agree with Dad in relation to the renovation of the Town Hall. At present there really is no incentive for tourists to stay in the town after they have visited the castle. But if during the summer it is known that a folk theater takes place then tour operators are more than likely to advise people to stay over a night.

It would also be a testament to the groups in the town. Trim Drama Group and Musical Society have won numerous national awards, they are very well respected all over the country. Trim Drama Group put on a special performance of "The Field" down in Listowell on the week John B Keanes Death. Trim Musical Society have won a large number of AIMS awards over the years and I think it is a disgrace that when visiting groups come to witness a production they have to sit through it in the current town hall. They deserve a proper theater in which to work.

This would have been one of my main issues when canvassing but that is not to say that I would push for a project like this at the expense of other projects around the town. Ultimately decisions have to be made with the betterment of the town in mind and no one individuals agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

In Terenure in Dublin back in the 90's there was an old cinema/bingo hall that was transformed into small little units for all sorts of small businesses, not sure if it's still there. There were offices and small workshops for handmade jewellery, sign making, PC repairs, that sort of stuff. Great use of an otherwise derelict building.

The hardest part of setting up a business is trying to find the right unit at the right price. High rents, rates & ridiculous contracts suck the cash flow out of a new business.
    Does the TC remit cover any of the empty industrial units?
    What would it take to bring Meath CC, the enterprise board and the TC together to do this?

Spadder,

Let me have a look into that this week, I just want to have a chat with some of the council. It merits further investigation and I don't want to give you any wrong information. Once I hear something Ill update you.

Still finding my feet. :)

In Terenure in Dublin back in the 90's there was an old cinema/bingo hall that was transformed into small little units for all sorts of small businesses, not sure if it's still there. There were offices and small workshops for handmade jewellery, sign making, PC repairs, that sort of stuff. Great use of an otherwise derelict building.

Not only was it done in Terenure, it was done in quite few places around Dublin. I did business with a lot of these small one man operations in their start up phases and quite a few of them went on to bigger things. They moved out to small industrial units, provided local employment and became successful small businesses. Some even went on to become fairly decent sized companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Sounds very similar to what was done with TIDE, no?

I know the town footprint is smallish and the boundary change will give us lots of ground space but that will probably be the next election when we'll still be talking about it (sorry - but I did hear it at the previous election so i'm only guessing informed by past experience :) ) Assuming this is a reasonable assumption or that it won't be sorted out for some time to come, how about the many vacant shops that are around the town being utilised as an asset with specific intent regarding new business incubation. For the town's sake and the sake of the property owners, these units are better with something happening in them rather than nothing (and little chance of anything happening). Property owners would commit to an initial period of perhaps 6 months. Also it might change the eyesore nature of some of them (the former Spicers premises for one).

Can a reformed chamber / council come together such that an incubation period would be possible for individuals wanting to start a small business.

Would the Council support a 50% reduction of town rates as seed assistance / encouragement to those attempting to set up.

Would property owners be prepared to commit to 6 months of initial designation. At that stage they could evaluate whether they had a likelihood of renting that property within the next six months and recommit for that six months.

There would need to be some formality to it;
    • perhaps only available to new business startup,
    • possibly that they must be formed by people on the live register,
    • to ensure chamber support and given that it would be supported by the public purse - that any units given to this purpose wouldn't be in competition to other businesses in the town such that you wouldn't have a unit start up as a newsagent (or other existing business), avail of a rent break situation, avail of 50% reduction in rates, and thus be at a competitive advantage to existing business. Fair will be fair in all of this - Existing business won't have rent reductions or town rates reductions.
    • People involved would have to pass some criteria in terms of ensuring adequate insurance is provided for the premises

Surely the property tycoons of the town (whomever they might be) would be better with someone in the premises at a reduced rate and for a loose period of time - perhaps renewable on a six month basis or similar, than leaving the place idle for 1 year / 2 years / or hopefully not any more.

I'd expect that among those made redundant at the present time, there are people with sound business ideas that just need encouragement, whereas otherwise they may be a significant period of time seeking gainful employment.

This appears to be win - win - win. But would the goodwill will be there within the town structures (formal and informal) to see such an idea through. Anecdotally, people will say about the influences on small town areas, people predominately, being inflexible and lacking in vision and leadership. So can the 'town' (all encompassing) rise above any notion that they may have about themselves and do something for the social and economic good of the area.

Does this make sense? (I could be mad of course :rolleyes:)

Plenty of food for thought there :)

I'll be back but just want to point out that the boundaries should be changed very shortly. As Navan has happened and the same work has already been done in Trim in preparation, I would expect it to happen before Christmas.

So, If government acts on the recommendations of Bord Snip Nua and Trim Town Council no longer exists the functions of which being consumed by Meath County Council (or an amalgamated county if Meath is one of the 34 to go to 22), would it be good or bad for Trim? What would it mean at a practical level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 oslosinclair

So, If government acts on the recommendations of Bord Snip Nua and Trim Town Council no longer exists the functions of which being consumed by Meath County Council (or an amalgamated county if Meath is one of the 34 to go to 22), would it be good or bad for Trim? What would it mean at a practical level?

Good or bad for Trim? I don't know. But I'd miss stuff like this if the TC blinks out of existence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhdo0elFvo4

• Advertisement
Advertisement