Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking wardens and protocol for issuing tickets...

Options
  • 12-05-2009 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the protocol is WRT issuing parking fines?

I thought they were supposed to wait for a minute or two to see if someone was returning from buying a ticket before they start gleefully scribbling out a parking fine? Since they did away with the discs the only option you have is to park up and walk to a meter to get your ticket.

Happened yet again today - walked about 10 car spaces away to the meter (on Ballybricken), and as I turned to come back with my ticket, here was another chap writing out a fine (he agreed to tear it up).

I've also lost track of the number of times I've returned to my car a few mins before the ticket is due to expire, and there's a warden hovering about rubbing their hands as they count down the minutes until they can issue a ticket! :mad:

I thought there was supposed to be a "grace period" of perhaps 2-5 mins to see if someone was coming back to feed the meter? (not that I ever risk not coming back at least 10mins before the ticket is due to expire, given that there seems to be some sort of homing device in my nondescript average car that attracts wardens).

It seems to be just me - whenever I mention it to friends that wardens seem to swarm all over my car, they'll regale me with tales of how they forgot to renew a ticket (or even put one on in the first place!) and it was sitting there for an hour/2 hours and they "got away with it" etc.

I wouldn't mind but I'm extra cautious and panicky about getting the ticket as quickly as possible from the meter. If I was constantly on their radar for parking without paying I'd say something.

Sorry went on a bit of a rant there - just wondering what the protocol is for wardens when they swoop on a car without a ticket - aren't they meant to wait for a minute to see if the driver is just gone to get a ticket ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

It hasn't happened to me. I would have similar stories like your friends. You kind of have to get to know of gem spots around the town to park the car that are not on the wardens radar as much as the busy high profile streets.

Are you parking in busy areas?
    What type of car do you have?
    Is it something that attracts attention or something?

I know in my hometown they make note of your car reg and time, then when they do another pass of the same street they check their book to see if your reg is noted or not and what time it was last noted. If no ticket is displayed or it has expired you get a ticket. Reason I know this is because it helped capture someone who committed a hanis crime and it was reported in the paper I think or else word of mouth from around the town, the gardai were able to go through the traffic wardens note book for that day and were able to check all the car regs he had taken down and eliminated suspects. Caught the f&*ker who was passing through from Dublin.

When I lived in Brissy in Oz the wardens put a chalk mark on your tyre as they pass it and it has no ticket. If they come back along the same street later and see the tyre chalk mark and no ticket you get a ticket.
    They even work Sundays!!!!! the one time I went to mass on a sunday morning with a rental car we had hired for the weekend I parked it along a street full of cars parked to go to mass. Can't fully remember what was wrong with the area BUT myself and 10 other cars along the street all got tickets at 10am on a sunday morning!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

It doesn't seem to matter where I park - be it busy like Ballybricken or Parnell St or the quay, or quiet enough like, say, Waterside and the surrounding areas or some of the much quieter further-out-of-town streets.

There always seems to be one hovering when I come back from getting a ticket from a meter only yards away from my car, or standing waiting for my ticket to expire when I come back to the car, and it's putting me off even going into town at this stage.

My car is completely nondescript (as am I!:p) - it's a common regular boring as hell 10 yr old 4door family saloon, not a hint of modification, not a huge engine spec, not a flashy colour, not an expensive car that would draw attention, nor is it a banger that would draw attention either. Looks like 90% of the other common average cars on the road, which I why I can't figure it out!

If I had a flashy/noisy boyracer car I'd expect it to draw attention TBH, but picture the most average car you can possibly imagine, and that's what I drive. And I'm always very careful to park in a completely legitimate space during legitimate times, between the white lines etc etc given my history of bad luck with wardens swooping in :mad:

I just thought they were supposed to leave a short grace period when writing a fine up to give people a chance to get the flippin ticket from the meter in the first place - and from what you've said WRT your hometown it seems the parking wardens there give a very decent grace period (ie noting the reg and only issuing a ticket when they pass back again and there's still no ticket in sight).

Wonder if WCC is just pushing for more tickets to be issued to generate revenue. I haven't come across such enthusiastic wardens in other towns or cities.
    Also held onto the ticket I bought just in case, as I wouldn't put it past them to still issue the fine in the post or something, even though the warden said he accepted that I had a valid ticket when I ran back to the car.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I got a ticket a couple of months back on the Quay, I parked on the quay just in front of fieldmaster, as I had no change I only had €5 so I had to go and get change. I went into fieldmaster and got my change and came out and walked to the parking meter to get my disc. All within 2 mins .

The time on the disc was 3.15 and when I got back to my car there was a ticket already on the windscreen, The time on that was 3.16. The traffic warden was still at my car and I explained to him what had happened.

He refused to take back the ticket and told me all I could do was appeal to the Corporation. Within 10 mins of the ticket been issued, I had the appeal form filled out and also included my pay and display ticket and the actually ticket, and marking out the times on both tickets. 2 weeks later my appeal was rejected.

So in a word the traffic wardens and the Corporation don't give a toss, Its a money spinner for them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've personally never had an issue with any traffic wardens around Waterford, perhaps there is a big push for them to bring in more money so they've gotten more strict?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 steveaustin

Unlucky.

I do think they should have a grace period if they dont have one.

I would guess it comes down to the individual traffic wardens discretion.

I was in Midleton, Co.Cork last Saturday doing the Stephen Roche Tour De Cure Cycling event and afterwards I parked the car in the "very busy" town centre. I couldn't see any parking fee signs or ticket machines, so I went into local shop and asked them where do I buy parking tickets. The woman smiled at me and said car parking is free in all of Midleton, the trader said it encourages people to come into town to shop and works well. Wish they would do that here in Waterford City. It is an expected income now (tax) for the citys revenue so we will never see the day of free parking.

Surprisingly it didnt take long to find a parking spot in midleton...maybe because people are not wasting time going to ticket machines and back to the car again and instead are just popping in and out to do their business and off they go.

• Advertisement

That sucks Aquos!

Had something similar-ish happen to me a few years ago - I parked on a single yellow line at 9pm on a sat night, and got up to move it the following (sunday) morning at 7am to a regular space (I lived in town at the time and had a resident's permit, but there were no free parking spaces on my street to park on until the following morning IYKWIM).

I discovered that a passing cop had issued a fine at 3am on Sat night!

I called to the barracks to see what the story was - you can park on a single line outside of business hours, I wasn't blocking anything or parked up badly etc (another thing I'm really cautious about not doing). I argued and argued to no avail and had to pay the fine as the cops weren't budging on it even when I told them where I had been parked when I was ticketed and they agreed it was ok to park there "but I must have been parked badly or blocking an entrance or something". :mad:

I do think WCC are on a big push to generate revenue at the moment, alright.

Still though - how do they expect people to somehow magic a ticket up to put on the car without leaving it for a minute to walk to a meter???? I always carry change in the car so I know I won't have to go looking for change, I never take any longer than 3 mins walking to and from the meter and feeding it with change, and still they materialise and are whipping out the notebook even as they see you running back to the car.

I think I'm going to start parking up in City Square if I need to go into town, and give them the money instead of being harassed by the council, so their plan to generate extra income may just backfire if they piss off enough people who decide to park in private carparks or who just don't bother going into town anymore.

SteveAustin - I think that would be a great idea but WCC wouldn't entertain it. Does Kilkenny still have the "first hour free" situation going on? That used to run very smoothly as people would park up and move on before the hour was up, leaving the space free for others to use, ensuring a high turnover of spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I do know that the parking wardens were audited a few weeks ago. I've heard rumours about what was said to them but since I don't have hard set in stone facts I'd rather not say what they were.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I've personally never had an issue with any traffic wardens around Waterford, perhaps there is a big push for them to bring in more money so they've gotten more strict?

I was guessing the same thing myself. With Mr Binman taking a lot of revenue away from the income of the city council pocket maybe this is one of many initiatives to bring in some revenue. The grace period is normally a discretionary thing in a lot of jobs functions in any job, so maybe the Traffic Wardens are told to do everything by the book going forward.....and to pick on echosound cause he is a soft target :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 steveaustin

echosound wrote: »
    SteveAustin - I think that would be a great idea but WCC wouldn't entertain it. Does Kilkenny still have the "first hour free" situation going on? That used to run very smoothly as people would park up and move on before the hour was up, leaving the space free for others to use, ensuring a high turnover of spaces.
    Not sure about Kilkenny, but on my way back from Midleton i stopped in Dungarvan to get a message for a friend and the parking sign said first half hour free parking. I thought that was really good. I was there for about 15 mins.

I was guessing the same thing myself. With Mr Binman taking a lot of revenue away from the income of the city council pocket maybe this is one of many initiatives to bring in some revenue. The grace period is normally a discretionary thing in a lot of jobs functions in any job, so maybe the Traffic Wardens are told to do everything by the book going forward.....and to pick on echosound cause he is a soft target :D

I'm a she :p
    And I am starting to get a bit paranoid TBH! I've only ever had to pay two parking fines (one of which I mentioned above, and another one I got years ago in Darrers' car park on a Sunday:rolleyes:) and I swore after those two very questionable fines I'd always be extra careful parking up no matter where I am, so it seems they've decided to make it their mission to try to snare me :)

If it is an initiative to bring in more revenue, they are only serving to further ruin the city centre by pissing people off with over-eager wardens swooping in. People will end up driving to other towns or staying in the 'burbs and retail parks so as not to incur an extra - what is it now, 40 quid? - expense for the priveledge of parking on a street. And on the vicious circle goes - revenue may drop even further, making the wardens even more draconian in their efforts to claw money in, and on and on it goes.

I wish they would think outside the box and introduce something like Dungarvan, as Steveaustin pointed out. People would be more likely to do their messages in town if they knew they weren't going to end up with a 40 euro fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

My car is completely nondescript (as am I!:p) - it's a common regular boring as hell 10 yr old 4door family saloon, not a hint of modification, not a huge engine spec, not a flashy colour, not an expensive car that would draw attention, nor is it a banger that would draw attention either. Looks like 90% of the other common average cars on the road, which I why I can't figure it out!

Hmmm...does it have a 99 KK ???? reg by any chance??? :D

gscully wrote: »
    Hmmm...does it have a 99 KK ???? reg by any chance??? :D

:p
    It's a 99 W reg so it can't even be the fact that WCC wardens are displaying some sort of county discrimination agin' dem KK peeps coming across the bridge!

(maybe they cottoned on I am actually originally a south KK person who now masquerades as a Waterfordian though, and are trying to encourage me to feck off back out of the town across the bridge :eek::D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

:p
    It's a 99 W reg so it can't even be the fact that WCC wardens are displaying some sort of county discrimination agin' dem KK peeps coming across the bridge!

(maybe they cottoned on I am actually originally a south KK person who now masquerades as a Waterfordian though, and are trying to encourage me to feck off back out of the town across the bridge :eek::D)

;)

Just an idea, but maybe you should get a small white piece of paper and write on it 'Gone to get a parking ticket @ 3:15pm 15/6/2009' or something like that and put it on the dashboard for them to inspect. Chances are they'd then move on to the next car and call back to yours later.

Have done, to no avail!
    I must just radiate some sort of warden-nip or something that brings them running, or perhaps I wronged one in a previous life and they are out for vengeance. :( (or maybe I WAS one in a previous life and this is my comeuppance).

Apologies, I am a he and he's make assumptions sometimes...tut tut
    trishw78 wrote: »
    I do know that the parking wardens were audited a few weeks ago. I've heard rumours about what was said to them but since I don't have hard set in stone facts I'd rather not say what they were.
    Oh do tell, we won't say anything :D

TBH, I don't have kids, but if I did and I had to park the car, then cross the road to get change, then back to the ticket machine, then back to the car with my ticket only to find a fine on my wind screen, i'd be pissed. It wouldn't entice me to go shopping in town!!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

Happened to me recently! Was parked outside the city hall on the Mall. Had 15 minute left on the ticket and came back to find a lovely ticket on my windscreen. Not happy. On the day in question the parking machines outside the city council were also broken and had to walk to by the tower hotel to get a disk). I went straight into the city council with my ticket and parking ticket and was told I would have to appeal it!:mad: Thankfully it all got sorted in the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

Have seen the traffic wardens on numerous occasions putting their hands on the bonnets of cars before issuing tickets. Presumebly when warm they walk away.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No your not, everyone knows that all women on the net are actually men :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Perhaps you are just a pretty girl who has attracted the parking warden and he is just hovering cos he hasn't plucked up the courage to ask you out!;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

I received a letter today telling me that I have been fined 40 euro for parking in Oliver Plunkett car park in Kells without paying the fee but I have never been to that car park or area so I am really confused. The letter states that if I don't pay the fine I may attract a penalty of up to 1,000 euro and that if I have any queries it must be submitted in writing.
    I don't know if they have taken down the wrong number plate or what's happened but I am just wondering what I can do or how can I prove I was never there. Would they have details of what type of car it was? Can anyone help?
    Don't want to have to pay 40 euro for something that I haven't done...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Katy_B wrote: »
    I received a letter today telling me that I have been fined 40 euro for parking in Oliver Plunkett car park in Kells without paying the fee but I have never been to that car park or area so I am really confused. The letter states that if I don't pay the fine I may attract a penalty of up to 1,000 euro and that if I have any queries it must be submitted in writing.
    I don't know if they have taken down the wrong number plate or what's happened but I am just wondering what I can do or how can I prove I was never there. Would they have details of what type of car it was? Can anyone help?
    Don't want to have to pay 40 euro for something that I haven't done...

They should details off what model the car was. You may aswell write them your letter explaining basically what have said on here. Dont tell them your make and model of car until they mention the make and model and colour of the car they have down as being the one parked illegally. I presume they have the make and model anyways for instances like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

They should details off what model the car was. You may aswell write them your letter explaining basically what have said on here. Dont tell them your make and model of car until they mention the make and model and colour of the car they have down as being the one parked illegally. I presume they have the make and model anyways for instances like this.
    they have that already through the reg , shur they run the tax offices

personally i find these nanny fines annoying and just ignore them if i was unlucky enough to get one,as i did last year they have only power to prosecute by your own acceptance of their allegations

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Send a letter saying that they have made a mistake and the burden of proof is with them. say you want all details from them regarding the fine including copies of the their paperwork.

They won't be long pissing off.

Ok cool, thanks. annoying that I have to write a letter in the first place. I even had to question myself about where I was on the date they said they issued the fine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I traded in a car 2 years ago and the garage never sorted the ownership, started getting letters from wicklow co co(don't think I've ever been in Wicklow!!) about parking and tax, the garage never sorted it and I started getting solicitors letters about it. In the end I had to lose my temper with said garage before they sorted it. I also wrote to the DOT about it. Ownership has eventually been changed to the new owner but it was some nightmare!

I'd say it could have been the warden entered the reg wrong into his file. Write to them, you won't have to pay it if it wasn't you.

michellie wrote: »
    I traded in a car 2 years ago and the garage never sorted the ownership, started getting letters from wicklow co co(don't think I've ever been in Wicklow!!) about parking and tax, the garage never sorted it and I started getting solicitors letters about it. In the end I had to lose my temper with said garage before they sorted it. I also wrote to the DOT about it. Ownership has eventually been changed to the new owner but it was some nightmare!

I'd say it could have been the warden entered the reg wrong into his file. Write to them, you won't have to pay it if it wasn't you.

yeah it must be. I just started to panic when I read the letter and thought what proof do I have that I wasn' there. Guess I'll have to write a letter then.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

iv been issued 2 parking fines in town. appealled both on the grounds that i was only gone 5 mins (to get change and a ticket :rolleyes:) and was successful :D just appeal. always appeal.

second time it happened i was gone for 20mins but when i came back the warden was just issuing the ticket. he said i was just too late and he would have let me off if i had been a few seconds earlier. again i appealed and got away with it thank god.

watermark wrote: »
    second time it happened i was gone for 20mins but when i came back the warden was just issuing the ticket. he said i was just too late and he would have let me off if i had been a few seconds earlier. again i appealed and got away with it thank god.

So in short your abusing the system?

Sure you might as well double park as well while your at it, what the hell
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I buy a ticket and put it on the windscreen... works for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I buy a ticket and put it on the windscreen... works for me.

Me too. Have to say it doesn't take longer than 1 minute to get a ticket and put it on the car. The ticket machines are everywhere!

Advertisement