Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harrassed by "Please Call Me" texts

Options
  • 12-05-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭

Need some advice, my Mother has since Thurs, being bombarded with Please Call me texts from an 086 number, maybe 6-7 a day, all times of the day and night. Being retired, she was getting distressed and called the number where it was hung up when the girl at other end heard what she was saying. She then rang again and left a voicemail stating to stop. They continued.
    I rang this number where a girl answered so the minute I mentioned about the call me texts, the phone went mute, I rung back and went to voicemail.
    Any idea what the best course of action? Its obviously someone messing and not a scam, they sounded Irish etc but its annoying and shes feeling helpless etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,916 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Contact O2 with the number, and explain the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The Gardai are pretty much your only course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

was wondering which of the 2 would be best, a garda who is a friend suggested ringing O2 to block the number but we shouldn't have to do that and also feel someone shouldn't get away doing this as it is harrassment. I am perturbed though that they will answer the phone to me and then go dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Perhaps you could send them a 'please call me text' back to them, every time they send you one? I'm sure after a while they'll get sick of it themselves.

was thinking that but if we have to take action afterwards, then wouldn't that look like we harrassed them back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm fairly sure o2 won't be able to block the number from contacting you. There may be certain handsets that can do it but network providers are a different story.

Have there been any texts sent since the time when you rang them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    The Gardai are pretty much your only course of action.

+1

Operators cant help you. You have to go the Gardai, simple as. Local station will suffice.

not sure, will talk to her later and check how progress is being made. However she rang yesterday and left a stern voicemail and they still came at lunchtime today so whoever the messer is, they are obviously stupid to be continuing.

Sizzler wrote: »
    +1

Operators cant help you. You have to go the Gardai, simple as. Local station will suffice.

Any ideas what the procedure is, i.e. will it lots of hassle for us afterwards etc or does it follow a nice easy route?
    What is the phone isn't registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

TheDriver wrote: »
    Any ideas what the procedure is, i.e. will it lots of hassle for us afterwards etc or does it follow a nice easy route?
    What is the phone isn't registered?
    Might take a few days as The Gardai wont take it tooooo seriously unless a threat has been made, but basically what they will do is go to the operator of whichever network it is on and they will get the persons details, if its unreg'd then they'll ask the number to be binned. Also bear in mind the odds are they are doing this to a few people and not just your mum.

• Advertisement

I was thinking that but its not so much no threats but its the continuous texts coming through, ususally few at a time. Suppose if few go to the Gardai, then it will stop this joker. TO be honest, she put her foot down and they continue, woman who answered phone doesn't sound like a teenager and kids crying in background etc etc. When my Mum first rang, a woman answered and a man grabbed phone off her and told her to stop using the phone and hung it up, with a kitchen with kids according to what she heard.
    All very strange!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That all sounds very dodgy, like something serious is going no there. It's not your mother's problem though, nor is it her fault.

The operator cannot block a single number, and the Gardai can't do much if there are no threats.

If you want to annoy them in to going away, you could schedule webtexts for all hours of the night, do that every night for a week, and have your mother turn her phone off for the entire time. Something simple like "Go away" would be best. A few hundred texts at 4 in the morning for a week might make them get the message. Get everyone in your family to do the same, so they are bombarded with texts from a dozen or so numbers, for extra effect.

Thanks all, horribly frustrating none the less as the woman is not young and struggles with the mobile and has elderly relative so is running for mobile everytime it beeps for updates and concerned that if I start a war she will suffer as she isn't the one wanting to fight it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

jor el wrote: »
    If you want to annoy them in to going away, you could schedule webtexts for all hours of the night, do that every night for a week, and have your mother turn her phone off for the entire time. Something simple like "Go away" would be best. A few hundred texts at 4 in the morning for a week might make them get the message. Get everyone in your family to do the same, so they are bombarded with texts from a dozen or so numbers, for extra effect.
    +1.

This is generally pretty effective in getting them off your case. The Vodafone website lets you send delayed webtexts. Would take you about 20 minutes to set up for 5 texts scheduled on the hour, every hour, for a day or two to be sent to the person's phone - usually gets them off your back! Makes you wonder why they continue to send Call Me texts to your mother though, especially since their number shows up when they do it...

GOod idea I suppose. Why send to my mother, no idea and they answer the phone yet still continue and when questioned on the phone, just block it out as opposed to sorry it was my child playing etc. Annoying to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭glanman

I had a girl a few years ago who sent me a lot of strange messages after we broke up, pretty scary ones as it went on and I asked o2 to block,they said they couldn't. they eventually stopped

If you put the number up here, or pm people willing to help to bombard them;> a few 100 messages should suffice. I'll help you out anyway!! send blank messages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

glanman wrote: »
    I had a girl a few years ago who sent me a lot of strange messages after we broke up, pretty scary ones as it went on and I asked o2 to block,they said they couldn't. they eventually stopped

If you put the number up here, or pm people willing to help to bombard them;> a few 100 messages should suffice. I'll help you out anyway!! send blank messages

Do Not put the number up here! It's is somebodys personal details and as such is against the rules and will probably result in a banning or infraction! Don't know what the rules are concerning pms though, but check before doing anything like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭glanman

ok dont put them up here but something to this effect would work. even just get some of your friends to do it

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Phone from blocked number. Dont mention anything about whats going on. Ask for 'Dave' or about a car for sale, or some bs story. See how much info you can gather that way. (Its amazing what some people will tell you when caught on the hop like that) You might learn nothing, or you might learn its a neighbor/mum of a kid you know, or something else might shed some light.

I was going to do that but in all honesty, no one knows my Mums number, its ex directory, she only barely texts family and relatives. In fact, my Dad's mobile number would be more smarter to find out as don't think thats ex directory. I am a secondary teacher so had the conspiracy theory but in all honesty, they could get my parents number off the phone book rather than texting.
    Won't post any number up here as thats not fair but will get a plan together
    P.S. Mum got another text after I rang them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Easiest solution, IMO, is to just get your ma a new sim card. As far as I know, there all free as long as you purchase some credit at the time. Assuming its pay as you go and not a bill pay tho.....

COuld get a new number but thats not fair on Mum as her friends would be as bad as her with tech and changing a number would not be easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

COuld get a new number but thats not fair on Mum as her friends would be as bad as her with tech and changing a number would not be easy!

Ah, can understand that.
    I remember my own mother getting late night prank calls before, I have to admit the Gardai weren't much help, no actual threats, make a list, blah blah. We resorted to making like 100s of calls back with blocked numbers, got rid of them soon enough. Maybe try this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Contact your local Garda station where you can either, get a new number for free or persue further, as it is harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

This probably wont work but worth a try. Try phoning back so that you so you go onto their voicemail. The person might have left their name on their answering service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What phone does she have? It may be possible to block texts from this paritcular number using the phone.

Some Samsungs have the feature and you could probably purchase an application if it's a Symbian phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

@OP

You posted and asked for advice from folk here.
    Any solution that has been given to you and your mum has been rejected by you.

So you then have a problem with "NO SOLUTION".

Make a decision and get off the fence hun.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

blueeyedboy Please respect other posters.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

is nobody else a bit suspicious that the person sending these texts may need help?(not just the mental kind!)

is is possible she is trying to get someone's attention seeing as the phone was snatched out of her hand when she answered?

OP go to the Gardaí and report it, pointing out the conversation your mum overheard. they may be able to advise what they can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

is nobody else a bit suspicious that the person sending these texts may need help?(not just the mental kind!)

is is possible she is trying to get someone's attention seeing as the phone was snatched out of her hand when she answered?

OP go to the Gardaí and report it, pointing out the conversation your mum overheard. they may be able to advise what they can do.

Yes it is a bit strange the way the person is using their own number. You would think they would block it or something. Maybe its a kid?

Advertisement