Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Morning

Options
  • 12-05-2009 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Today was the worst and most heartbreaking experience i've had in a long time.
    On my way to work I noticed a cat which had obviously been just hit by a car trying to get from one side of the road to the other. Limping very badly.
    I turned around and went to pick it up. At this point an elderly man who had been cycling had picked up the cat (who had at this point made it to the side of the road and looked as if it had just given up.)

I offered to take the cat to the vet. So off I went with it. Luckily I wasn't too far away from the vets.

(on the way the poor thing tried to crawl onto my lap for a bit of comfort :( )

when I got there the vet saw him straight away and basically told me it didn't look likely that the cat would survive as he must have been hit too hard onthe head as he was not responding to a response test.

I told her that I would bring the cat home with me if he pulls through so she said she would try what she could.

She just rang me to let me know that he's bleeding into his lungs and he has swelling on the brain. She's given him something to help but it's not looking very likely.

Now what I do not understand is how can someone run over a cat/dog and not take responsibility and take it to the vet. Especially when you can clearly see it is still alive! I mean I know these things happen cats/dogs can run in front of you and it is obviously more dangerous to swerve into oncomming traffic BUT when they do happen where is the sense of decency?

I know there are probably a lot of threads like this and I'm sorry if I'm pretty much repeating what others have said in the past but I just really felt like venting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Really well done for trying your best to help the cat. Whatever the outcome thankfully there was a kind person like you nearby, so at least the cat has some chance - it may be a slim chance, but it deserved that chance and you gave it.

As for the people who hit dogs & cats and leave them to die.......scum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

AFAIK aren't motorists legally obligated to stop if they hit a dog and not if they hit a cat?

TBH it may be entirely possible they didnt realise they hit the cat, but if they did and drove off, its not very nice :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

Poor lad, hope his suffering will be over soon (one way or the other). Fair play to you for looking after him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

It amazes me that people can have such a lack of compassion for other living things sometimes, it can be very frustrating and heart breaking. Well done for looking after him, regardless of what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

my cast was hit in november, wide road, no traffic at all (quiet night, only one car every 10 mins), only 2 house that the cat could potentually belong to.

i was stood in our garden calling him and heard no screech of tires, the car didn't even slow down, my friend met them at the crossroads still speeding along, when she drove past ours and saw my cat she realised it must have been that car but it was too late to track them down at that point.

i can understand how someone hits a cat as they do run across in front of cars but to not ask in the houses who owned him, not move him to the side of the road, not even feckin slow down :confused::mad:

it makes me sick.

well done you for trying to help him, at least if he doesn't make it he was shown kindness at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Thanks everyone.
    Well it turns out the cat is a he! I popped back to the vet after work and he is doing a bit better but it's looking 50/50. (which are much better odds than this morning).
    He has stopped bleeding into his lungs but his head trauma might be too severe. He just keeps shaking his head which is not a good sign. :(
    The vet said though that he is urinating so atleast he still has bodily function which is good.
    He will be kept on a drip over night and the vets going to make a decision in the morning.

I really hope he makes it. poor thing. I'd love if I could take him home with me tomo!

Though I'm half thinking if the vet tomo says it's hopeless if I should take him to the cat hospital (Irelands first cat only hospital has opened in Cork) and see if they can do anymore for him? they could be more equipped... Is that just dreaming though because I want him to make it?

well after calling in to see my stray moggy this morning he is doing much better!
    I think I may be even able to take him home later so that's really good news to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Fair play to you. Hope it all goes well.

jen_23 wrote: »
    well after calling in to see my stray moggy this morning he is doing much better!
    I think I may be even able to take him home later so that's really good news to hear.

That is brilliant! :)

jen, i know you've understandably become very emotionally attached to him but are you sure he's a stray?

there could be a family desperately searching for him not knowing where he is.... you really do need to check the area where you found him and see if anyone living near there owns him. the lose of losing a cat on the road is bad enough but when your cat disappears and you can't find him/her it's the most heartrending experiance not knowing if they're dead or alive :(

• Advertisement

Hi Pinktulips,

I completely understand what you are saying. However the reasoning behind my thinking he is a stray is he hasn't been neutered (which majority of family cats would be AFAIK) and also when the nurse went to move him from his cage this morning he acted like a wild cat and basically went berserk. so she even thought that he is most likely a stray also.

I will put some notices up in the town of the place I found him and if anyone comes forward of course I will hand him back but in the meantime I'll bring him home with me.

Thanks for your concern :) And thanks to everyone who has responded I appreciate all the comments! :)

:) glad you didn't take offense, it does sound like he's not used to human contact so i think you may have a new pet if he pulls through.... my thought are with him and you, i hope he gets to come home with you soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

Presumably he is not microchipped either?
    This is great news Jen, hope things will work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You are wonderful OP, just wonderful. :o You are the one in a hundred person that would stop **and** bring the cat to a vet. I'm sure if he could say thank you personally, he would! Really hope he pulls through for you now. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Well done Jen, he's a lucky cat to have someone as caring as you stop and help him and even more so want to keep him after all the hassle and money it will cost you. Hope he continues to get better.

Thanks everyone.

Okay so latest update on poor moggy (that's what I'm calling him untill I find a more suitable name :) )
    He isn't really eating so and the vet said they had him out walking earlier and he was a bit funny. It could be brain damage so again bad news...
    But he is much more alert than yesterday. Also and what I'm hoping is ... it could be damage to the pelvis so that's going to be x-rayed tomo and then hopefully we can get him settled and recovered at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

Just read your post that is just so kind Jen, and hopefully your little pal makes a full recovery, he's very lucky to have you as his friend. For every ba*tard out there that has no respect for animals, theres a hundred people that do, keep us updated;)

Hey all just wanted to give another update on Moggy/whiskers :)
    I got to bring him home yesterday evening. He's still not very good on his feet however saying that I'm keeping him in a shed. I made up a lovely warm basket with newspaper and blankets so he would be nice and cozy in there and when I came in this morning he was after getting out of that and hiding by some chairs...

For a cat that is having difficulty moving the fact he managed to get out of the basket (which was quite high) was impressive to me.

Though he's still not eating so I'm trying to syringe feed some milk just for last night and today i think I heard before that for animals not wating baby formula is quite good to feed them as it's full of nutrients so gona try that.

Also my other cat (cindy) is completely put out. She wouldn't go into her bed all night with her sulking!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to help her transition?

Thanks all!

P.S. just have to mention that the vets that kept poor moggy in for almost 3 days were just fantastic! When I went to pay the bill they charged hardly anthing at all which was so generous of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

well done OP for all you've done for this poor fella. hopefully wont be long before he's settled in with you. You should be very proud of yourself x :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Well done to you, and also to the veterinary hospital for helping and not charging too much. Great to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 ciars84

Well done to you for really looking after the cat. Fair play to the vets too who obviously took all of this into account for you.
    Hope the cat makes a full recovery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

jen_23 wrote: »
    P.S. just have to mention that the vets that kept poor moggy in for almost 3 days were just fantastic! When I went to pay the bill they charged hardly anthing at all which was so generous of them.

Its been very kind and generous of you and the Vet to look after the poor cat.

If your stuck with a bigger bill than you can comfortably deal with PM me the Vets contact details and I'll see if I can help you out with some of the cost.

Cats can, and do make remarkable recoveries - best of luck to you all.

Hi again everyone :)

I thought ye might appreciate a pic of my poor moggy ;)

4F03801D1DB9490FAC01FC4ABDCCDCB9-800.jpg

He's doing okay at the moment to be honest I think he's trying to escape! Which I don't mind as it means he's getting better as it is instinctive for cats (esp wild) to not want to be confined.

He's moving about a lot. I keep finding him in different parts of the shed. It's like he's playing hide and seek with me.

I have him on some dioralyte at the moment through syringes as he wont eat/drink by himself just yet. And possibly start him on formula later (so he doesn't lose too much weight).

Also and a big YEAH for this he passed a stool :) Most people are prob thinking that that might not be alot to be happy about but the vet was very worried that he hadn't the 3 days he was with her.
    So now that he has it puts alot of concerns to rest.

I would just like to thank again everyone for there comments and well wishing it's very kind of you all.
    If your stuck with a bigger bill than you can comfortably deal with PM me the Vets contact details and I'll see if I can help you out with some of the cost.

Cats can, and do make remarkable recoveries - best of luck to you all.
    Today 14:14

Thank you so much Makikomi for such a kind gesture. But the vet was so good I barely paid anything honestly, I thought it was going to cost hundreds and I think I was charged maybe just for the x-ray if even the cost of that. But thank you so so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bunyip123

oh Jen_23 he looks lovely!!! he looks remarkably bright eyed for all he's been through doesnt he. Fair play to you, such a lovely story. i read it the other day but didn't have time to post.
    We had a cat with terrible injuries from a car and he has come along so well! He gets a bit tired easily but other than that he recovered from broken pelvis/legs very well and he can still run/jump etc. They are tough nutters!

totally agree about the poo -that is a great sign!! did the vet suggest anything else about eating? I'm trying to think of something a bit light, but very tasty that maybe you could coax him to get the appetite up a bit more.
    I think making the den for him will really help to get him to settle in. Best wishes anyway, hope it all goes well!! :)

jen, he's gorgeous :D

i'm so glad to hear he's doing well. is he letting you handle him easily? poor guy must be so confused, he's so lucky that you found him.

and what a fantastic vets for not charging you a fortune... it's a relief to hear some of them still care more about an animals welfare than about money

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

I hadn't posted before now either but have been following the thread... Jen, you are an absolute star, well done on doing a very kind thingicon14.gif
    Good to read that he's improving all the time...he's a beautiful lad.
    And yay for the poo!! Brilliant sign that the internals are in good working order!

bunyip123 I'm delighted to hear that your cat recovered. They really do have 9 lives :)
    did the vet suggest anything else about eating? I'm trying to think of something a bit light, but very tasty that maybe you could coax him to get the appetite up a bit more.
    No she just gave me the idea of syringe feeding would be the way to go for a while.
    I had to laugh last night as I gave him some baby formula all nicely heated up and he was nearly sucking on the syringe. Awww:)
    I've tried to tempt him with a bit of tuna this morning he wouldn't take it out of my hand so I left the plate inside and hopefully it will be gone later.
    Failing that I have mackerel on the shopping list ;)

Hi Pinktulips
    i'm so glad to hear he's doing well. is he letting you handle him easily? poor guy must be so confused, he's so lucky that you found him
    He does not like to be handled much at all. He will let you stroke him once you don't move too suddenly and may even hiss at first but then he's okay.
    He just about tolerates being picked up by my boyfriend.

He did nip at my hand this morning (luckily I was wearing gloves) as I tried to pick him up as he was hiding in an awkward corner for feeding. He hasn't done that before so he is getting better bit by bit every day.

Thanks Call_Me_Socket :)
    And yay for the poo!! Brilliant sign that the internals are in good working order!
    He did even more this morning might need a shovel this time..........

But it's great to see him improving so it's a small problem :D

The only thing I am feeling bad about is my other cat. She hasn't gone into her bed in 2 days now and has to have her food brought outside to her.
    I brought her into the shed and Moggy doesn't flinch at her just looks as if to say who are you and cindy just hisses and backs out as if a gale force wind is pushing her..:rolleyes: She's a bit of a wuss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

What a lovely story. Well done jen. Poor little fella.

Thanks Corb. Hopefully he will come around and start eating on his own some day soon!

• Advertisement

Hey all,

Just to let ye know Moggy ran away during the week! I'm not surprised though as he was a wild cat and I suppose it was a sign of receovery as the vet had said he should have been trying to escape. (unfortunately though we didn't want him to succeed just yet!)

Anyway i'm in the process of trying to find him/hoping he comes back for grub as he ran off with his little bandage on!!

On the bright side though a think a next to full recovery was made:)

Advertisement