Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which linux distributions does eclipse look good in

Options
  • 12-05-2009 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I have been using eclipse in both fedora and ubuntu (gnome dessktop) and both have seem to look very clumsy, with big fonts and large line spacings,

I have tried various suggestions from the internets, but can never seem to get it looking nearly as posished looking as it is on windows,

Is this a gnome thing ? or the particular distros im using ? anybody else have the same problem ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

What about changing your fonts in the desktop options?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

This could be a completely unrelated issue but....

I a ubuntu man myself and I've found that my jedit looks awful when I run it with java-6-openjdk but if I use java-6-sun it looks perfect.

I get an ugly issue with some sort of double line spacing among other things.

Both versions of java are available in the synaptics application in ubuntu.
    So if you currently have eclipse pointing at openjdk maybe setting it sun java might help.

As I said this may be completely unrelated but it might help.

Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

Hmm, the jdk could be something to do with it, ill check, i don't like changing the fonts in the control panel cause the layout seems fine for everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I've never had any problems with eclipse on linux looking well. Currently using Mint 5.

The previous poster mentioned to use the sun jvm, I think there's a "-vm" option you can pass to eclipse to specify the vm to boot it with.

Also I changed the fonts/sizes in eclipse, and I never had any issue with it looking bad, weird line spacings, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Windows with Consolas. Anything else, I'm never really happy with.

I have no problems with it under Fedora. Yum up a better fonts package, and tweak the fonts in Eclipse, I had to bump them up to 11, but it's worth it.

• Advertisement

I have yummed a set of fonts called liberation and things look a little better, is it just me or does things just look better in windows ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

I have yummed a set of fonts called liberation and things look a little better, is it just me or does things just look better in windows ?!

It's far from graphic design that my experience lies but I've always found Windows a bit childish looking.
    But look, your question is likely to start a religious war since "better" is entirely subjective. Personally I can't work with large text or wide spacing yet others require these same qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

have you tried installing the "msttcorefonts" package?

It installs some fonts which Ubuntu\Fedora can not legally redistribute but which an individual can download and install. Installing this package does this for you.

duffman85 wrote: »
    have you tried installing the "msttcorefonts" package?

Ill give them a go thanks, given the name i presume they are some type of microsoft font,

@backboiler: i suppose one mans meat ..... !!

Advertisement