Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taken off the register

Options
  • 12-05-2009 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I went down to register to vote and was informed by the the guards that randomly you can be taken off the registrar for no reason. (or due to error)
    How can this happen? Has it ever happened to anyone here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

wolfric wrote: »
    I went down to register to vote and was informed by the the guards that randomly you can be taken off the registrar for no reason. (or due to error)

I was taken off after the census but never heard of just randomly being taken off.

I thought it was the inverse, with all the dead people voting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

wolfric wrote: »

The cynic in me would like to believe in behind the scenes activities removing certain voters from the registry at those in power's bequest; realistically more likely due to utter incompetence by those in charge of maintaining it.

I had the reverse happen - I never had to register, but my name was on the registry when I went to vote. Maybe it was something to do with a relative who was a fairly prominent FF activist in the local area some years back and they thought I was a dead cert to vote FF? (How wrong they were)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

The thought had crossed my mind too untill i realised that if it happened enough people would notice and probably come out in the news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I don't believe I was taken off, but I moved back to the country after years abroad and was not on the initial registrar. I posted in a form to galway coco to get on the supplementary form but they 'never received' it :rolleyes:
    So I went into the offices and kicked up a fuss but they were having none of it. At this point I think that the closing date for the supplementary had passed, or it was last day or something). Anyway they were acting the bollix and I had to go directly to the Presiding officer who sorted me out...

If it's of interest you can find the app form for the supplementary registrar here
    Please excuse the fact that it's a Fine Gael website, was the first one that appeared in google.
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I noticed I was removed from the registry so I cant vote.
    My father has also been removed.

I received no call & no notification or letter asking to register.

yet my aunt for every election in the last 15 years has received 3 polling cards.... However in the lisbon referendum she was put down to only having 2 votes though.
    (I wonder can I ask her for a loan of one??)

I emailed the franchise office to be told I have to report in person to the cops to prove my existance to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

My father has also been removed.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055562228

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

My father has also been removed

Re-register then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont know the numbers but ess, so many people are removed from the register every year you are ment to check to see if you have been removed. The goverment says this is done randomly and I agree this may be I think the reason its perceived to be stagged is this.

Randomly people are removed all around the regions. The TD'S and councillors go through those removed and where people have been removed in working class areas they leave it, Where it happens in middle to upper class areas they arrange to have them re registered.

Why becuase trad most of the main voting comes from these 2 areas. Now this is just a political theory based on what I hear. I am not slandering or looking for arguement but it makes sense when you consider the largest no of people removed comes from working class areas.

By the way if you name is removed you can have it put on the supplamentary register. There is a time limit on this though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

everyone can check easily and quickly if they are on the register

www.checktheregister.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I though the days of councillors and party hacks interfering with the register were gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I though the days of councillors and party hacks interfering with the register were gone?
    I'd say they mostly are, but a lot of people may not realise that the register is dumped every two years and you need to re-register at that point. So they have vague recollections of registering at some point, but that was probably before local elections in 1995 or somesuch.

The document which comes in for you to register every two years looks like junk mail and could very easily end up in the bin. In addition, I think people used to call around asking for the names of everyone in the household to add them to the register. So people who think that they were "magically" added to the register, were probably added by a family member answering the door or filling in that form.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I would not see what councillors do as interference. Its protecting the vote. If they did not the register would be wiped slowly and the goverment would have to spend loads on campagns to re register so I would consider them saving us money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not when people end up being registered several times with slightly different addresses.
    My father receives at least 3 different polling cards each election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Re-register then :rolleyes:

I have now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

seamus wrote: »
    I'd say they mostly are, but a lot of people may not realise that the register is dumped every two years and you need to re-register at that point. So they have vague recollections of registering at some point, but that was probably before local elections in 1995 or somesuch.

The document which comes in for you to register every two years looks like junk mail and could very easily end up in the bin. In addition, I think people used to call around asking for the names of everyone in the household to add them to the register. So people who think that they were "magically" added to the register, were probably added by a family member answering the door or filling in that form.

If it is dumped every 2 years why is a swiss/english flat mate still on the register 6 year after he left the country.

I neighbour who died 5 years ago (his obituary was in the times as he had held the javelin throwing record in Ireland for many years)

In the same house next door no one has lived for 5-6 years 4 people are registered.

In Newtownabbey Co. Antrim where I lived for many years. They called to each house every year and would keep calling until they got a compete and accurate list for each house.

when the census was taken last Labour suggest at the people who took thecensus should update the elector register.

Both fine Gael and Fianna fail rejected this.

Advertisement