Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of selling mma/bjj/thai gear online.

Options
  • 12-05-2009 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

i'm thinking of importing a lot of mma/bjj/thai gear over from Brazil and the States and was looking to see if there was a market before i got a massive loan and brought the stuff over and set up a website. Brand wise i was thinking. SPRAWL, FULL CONTACT FIGHTER, FAIRTEX, PUNISHMENT, ECKO UNLTD, SINISTER, KNUCKLEHEAD, EXTREME COUTURE and THROWDOWN amongst others. this is my wishlist. any feedback would me much appreciated. thanks. ps. i moved this post from the (how many mma clubs practitioners/clubs in ireland) thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

i'd like to sell fight wear and casual wear. as for the prices, i'd have to be realistic and charge the same as that wrestling shop in stephens' green:D only joking. I'll try to sell at reasonable prices. but remember all the shipping and import duty costs and set up and upkeep costs associated with running a website. I'll try to sell at around the same as U.S prices. and you's wont get stung with customs tax like some other posters have....I will:eek:. This is my plan anyway, i'm just trying to get feedback from the people in the trenches. The more interest i get, the more i can tell if it will work. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mcdermott

depends on your price really. I dont really mind where the stuff I buy comes from as long as its cheap. If your buying whole sale you'll be able to price stuff a bit lower than rrp.

Check out ebay and youll get a guage of what price stuff is going for.

With regards to interest, Id say there is plenty of interest, plus its the internet after all so your not limited to a certain town/city. It all depends on how well you market your goods.

Goodluck with it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

If you can get the products to people at cheaper rates than they are at present people will be interested, the gear is a rip off at the moment and i'd rather buy on the net from the states tbh, I've brought in gear myself and the mark ups tend to be high..

thats the problem, if you cant get them cheaper i would not bother as your doomed to fail.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I wish you every sucess in this endeavour. However, there are rules with regards to selling on boards. http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Adverts_Rules
    Essentially speaking, you can talk about what you are trying to do business wise, but I will have to mod posts that relate to you actually selling stuff through boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

hmmm id much rather buy my stuff direct from the states, works out much cheaper with the exchange rate, and also if you dont have a license from the companies to sell there gear then its illegal too - i no a few people with mma equip companies etc and the licenses arent easy to come by either

• Advertisement

don't worry dunkamania i won't sell on boards just sussing out interest before i jump. as for cheap prices all i'll say is they'll be priced fairly. i have to make a profit after all and the banks will have to be paid back with interest... this will be a business after all. Mcdermott, I'll be buying wholesale of course, all online retailers do and as i said above, I'll be pricing stuff at around the same price as the U.S you cant ask for more than that.this won't be a discount store. and you can buy from the U.S or U.K. but look at the shipping costs and risks associated with shipping long distance. and how long will it take to get here? as i said this is still just an idea at the moment. but thanks for your input.

suey71 wrote: »
    don't worry dunkamania i won't sell on boards just sussing out interest before i jump. as for cheap prices all i'll say is they'll be priced fairly. i have to make a profit after all and the banks will have to be paid back with interest... this will be a business after all. Mcdermott, I'll be buying wholesale of course, all online retailers do and as i said above, I'll be pricing stuff at around the same price as the U.S you cant ask for more than that.this won't be a discount store. and you can buy from the U.S or U.K. but look at the shipping costs and risks associated with shipping long distance. and how long will it take to get here? as i said this is still just an idea at the moment. but thanks for your input.

to give you an idea Suey, last week I placed an order with nogi.com...i got a tshirt and a hooded top. this cost me £55 (sterling) thats including delivery. I had the goods 3 days after I made the order, included with my order were 2 free stickers and a free MMA mag.

I thought the service I recieved was amazing, and the turn around totally shocked me.

MMAWAREHOUSE.COM

Bought 2 sprawl tshirts
    a new pair of shorts
    rash guard and hoody
    Got 2 free stickers too. recieved in 4 days for 95euro. Hard to beat really but i suppose not everyone will buy from america some people rather try by local

hi perfect fit. I've already been in touch with companies in the States and have recieved positive feedback. wouldn't it be good if you could buy here instead of directly from the States. why buy there when you can buy here for the same prices. unless you are buying at wholesale prices?

mcdermott. nogi sounds great have to find out who supplies to them! what brands did you buy..... remember lads i'm just testing the waters here, if its not viable its a no no.:(

• Advertisement

hi perfect fit. I've already been in touch with companies in the States and have recieved positive feedback. wouldn't it be good if you could buy here instead of directly from the States. why buy there when you can buy here for the same prices. unless you are buying at wholesale prices?

oh no of course id buy here if the prices were the same or less but at the same time id rather wait an extra day if it was going to save me €20. Hope it goes well:)

mcdermott. nogi sounds great have to find out who supplies to them! what brands did you buy..... remember lads i'm just testing the waters here, if its not viable its a no no.:(

nogi are a brand.

www.nogi.com

mcdermott. sorry my mistake. no gi is a brand.:o but £55(sterling) from an american site:confused:. i could match that. or maybe even for 41.25euro. As for perfect fit. mmawearhouse.com. i was just on they're site american again. 1 Sprawl hoody@ $62.49. 2 Sprawl t.shirts @$22.49each=$45.00. 1 Sprawl shorts @$56.50 1 Sprawl rashguard @$38.49. this all comes to $202.48 change it to euro 151.86 and thats not counting shipping. look lads I'm not out to do anyone. i'm the fairest person I know.

mcdermott. sorry my mistake. no gi is a brand.:o but £55(sterling) from an american site:confused:. i could match that. or maybe even for 41.25euro. As for perfect fit. mmawearhouse.com. i was just on they're site american again. 1 Sprawl hoody@ $62.49. 2 Sprawl t.shirts @$22.49each=$45.00. 1 Sprawl shorts @$56.50 1 Sprawl rashguard @$38.49. this all comes to $202.48 change it to euro 151.86 and thats not counting shipping. look lads I'm not out to do anyone. i'm the fairest person I know.

LOL were not out to get you, you asked for feedback and i thought exp with other sites would have helped, mmawarehouse do specials every month which is when i bought the total was something like 130 dollars or something

i know. perfect fit.:D i know, and thanks for the constructive feedback. v.challenging. but what do you's think lads? if i could match the above prices would yiz but from me? but i dont think i could match their special offers though. unless i was offered wholesale special offers by my distributors. thanks

if you could match there prices you wont have a problem selling:)

I'm not out to get you...I'm just saying how I found other websites and giving you an insight into what I look for when I buy online.

The stuff I bought was $19.95 for the tshirt and $39.95 for the hoody. I dont have the email I got handy but the shipping didnt cost that much, and I have just checked my bank and it all came t0 £55.

As I said, Im no getting at you, just giving some feedback as a buyer.

found my invoice

$22.75 for delivery

Total in dollars was $82

I'd probably charge about 5euro for delivery, and if you bought alot i'd post it for free. but dont get your hopes up lads. it all depends on how much I can get them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I wish you the best of luck with it. My friend and I are working on an new MMA news website at the moment (hope to have lots of Irish MMA news on it) I am always looking out for good deals on mma shirts etc... but I won't be buying from the ufc.com shop as I had to pay a lot of money for the stuff to be sent over, damm you fedex!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Hi Suey71.

If you could match the price close enough to the american sites I would def buy from you, provided I liked the stock you had. I was just wondering are you thinking of selling more t-shirts, hoodies etc. Or Also training gear plus Gi's etc???

thats the whole idea of this thread martymcfly84. i'd love to sell GI's and other training gear. just give me ideas. oh mcdermott, i was on to nogi in america and they have agreed to supply me with their products if i go ahead with this;). only thing is their wholesale prices arnt great, but also not bad either. keep it coming lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

MMAWAREHOUSE.COM

Bought 2 sprawl tshirts
    a new pair of shorts
    rash guard and hoody
    Got 2 free stickers too. recieved in 4 days for 95euro. Hard to beat really but i suppose not everyone will buy from america some people rather try by local

Did you get stung by customs or did your stuff come through alrite?

OP best of luck with the MMA gear endeavour

ollieo wrote: »
    Did you get stung by customs or did your stuff come through alrite?

OP best of luck with the MMA gear endeavour

nope, got caught from ufc store before but have purchased off mmawarehouse 4-5 times now and never been stopped for customs

oh mcdermott, i was on to nogi in america and they have agreed to supply me with their products if i go ahead with this;). only thing is their wholesale prices arnt great, but also not bad either. keep it coming lads.

Good stuff!!! I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes suey!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Plus one for MMA.warehouse ordered off them got 2 cage fighter tshirts,a tapout (I know :eek::eek:) t shirt and a pair of tapout shorts. Came to about $120 at the time and didn't get stopped by customs. Also ordered from Tapout.com and shipped over fine they have sales now and again and I bought shorts for training and the Mike Brown Walk in Tshirt from his fight against Leonard Garcia around 60 euro to get over with shipping so saved about 20 euro . Stay well clear of the UFC website unless you want to get rode with customs from FedEx.
    Also if you want to get something quick and the exchange rate with Sterling is favourable try madeforfighters.co.uk. I purchased when the exchange rate was up at .93 or .94 so was just as good and received in 2 days. Got rogue gloves,shinpads,Twins Muay Thai shorts and cage fighter Ireland tshirt for around 140 euro.

i'd be interested to hear how often you guys buy products online. and roughly how much you's spend when you do? do you's only buy casual wear or is it mostly equipment? ie. shin pads and rash guards etc. P.S. A bit worried that there's only a handful of people replying to this thread, i honestly thought there would be more interest in getting the kind of products you want at a good price. from an irish seller with next day delivery and little or no postage charges:confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

suey there is nothing to get excited about as you have not given any price and the only benefit so far is that your Irish based, the post from the states or Britain arrives in a couple of days anyway-if i was you I'd enquire how much it will cost you to bulk buy and then make money when you add on the essentials, then hit us with figures and people will be interested if its better than what there already paying. do some research on prices.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

cowzerp wrote: »
    suey there is nothing to get excited about as you have not given any price and the only benefit so far is that your Irish based, the post from the states or Britain arrives in a couple of days anyway-if i was you I'd enquire how much it will cost you to bulk buy and then make money when you add on the essentials, then hit us with figures and people will be interested if its better than what there already paying. do some research on prices.

+ 1

Alot of people like myself prob haven't bothered posting comments because theres really nothing to comment on! No list of products & prices etc.
    i'd be interested to hear how often you guys buy products online. and roughly how much you's spend when you do? do you's only buy casual wear or is it mostly equipment? ie. shin pads and rash guards etc. P.S. A bit worried that there's only a handful of people replying to this thread, i honestly thought there would be more interest in getting the kind of products you want at a good price. from an irish seller with next day delivery and little or no postage chargesconfused.gif.

I bought a Gold weave Kimono last month from a Brazilian company who distribute their products through a few English BJJ clubs. It cost me €86 for the Kimono, a belt & delivery which only took 3 days. It's excellent quality & I'm going to purchase another Kimono (Pearl weave) from the same company this week which will cost about the same.

I also bought a rash guard from a company on E-bay last week which cost €26 including delivery.

The fact that you would be an Irish based company & could offer next day delivery wouldn't be high up my list of criteria when choosing who to purchase products from. It's all about cost & quality for me. I'd be prepared to wait an extra day or seven if it meant getting the right product for the right price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement