Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prescription Sunglasses for less than €20 delivered

• 12-05-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I just received my order from Zenni Optical today. Ordered them Sunday, April 26 and recieved them today Tuesday, May 12. Two weeks plus a day.

They cost $23.90 USD including delivery. The suntint looks great and they look like normal sunglasses, except that I can see through them properly.

I bought this style in black with 80% grey lenses. I couldn't be happier to finally have sunglasses that don't make me look like a member of the beatles, not to mention cost so little! Next time I change my glasses I'll be getting them online, too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

did you get all the details like pupillary distance and such from your optician? im not sure mine would be happy to give out the info and lose the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

I believe your optician is obliged to give you a copy of your prescription if you ask for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

mawk wrote: »
    did you get all the details like pupillary distance and such from your optician? im not sure mine would be happy to give out the info and lose the business

I went to specsavers. I told him I wasn't buying glasses that day, that I was going to make the decision later and if I found glasses I liked.

I actually didn't know that I needed the pupilary distance, so my husband had to measure that for me. But just ask for it.

I remember there was a similar thread here about goggles4u I think it was. I went to SpecSavers intending to get an eye test and order online from goggles4u. The lady optician there basically laughed when I told her. She said there's no way you could order glasses online. I can't remember exactly what she said but I think she made out you'd need to try out the frame before buying and there were other factors.

I ended up getting my glasses there. She was absolutely adamant that you shouldn't buy online however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭banchang

Xiney wrote: »
    I bought this style in black with 80% grey lenses. .

Buddyhollylicious !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 greenhill

I remember there was a similar thread here about goggles4u I think it was. I went to SpecSavers intending to get an eye test and order online from goggles4u. The lady optician there basically laughed when I told her. She said there's no way you could order glasses online. I can't remember exactly what she said but I think she made out you'd need to try out the frame before buying and there were other factors.

I ended up getting my glasses there. She was absolutely adamant that you shouldn't buy online however.

of course she would say that. they want you to buy there. i agree its alot better when you can try on the glasses before hand but when you see the difference in price there is no contest. i have my lenses perscription and see nothing wrong with ordering online as i am saving a fortune for the exact same product

i ordered a pair of glasses from the above website just to try them out. They cost me $21 delivered. if they are good i will be ordering a more fancy pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Sure u could just go into the shop and find the pair u like, see how they fit and stuff and then go onto that site and buy them :)

Well, you can either trust your optician, who wants to sell you a 150 euro pair, or you can try to buy them online for less than twenty euro and if that doesn't work out then you didn't waste much money and you know from then on.

I'm happy* with them, and especially happy that I'll never pay such an inflated price in an opticians' again.

*understatement of the century, I'm f*cking ecstatic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭collymcd

This is brilliant. One of the best bargain alerts I've seen. The price of glasses is extortionate. Thanks a lot for this. I've been meaning to buy new shades :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

I actually didn't know that I needed the pupilary distance, so my husband had to measure that for me. But just ask for it.
    what is pupilary distance please and how do you measure it? edit ok googled it

Can you drive ok with 80% tint?

Would it be an idea to go to specsaver and pay for a test and get copies of your notes. I think a test is only 20 euro? how much more if you need slimmed down lenses. if i don't have lenses slimmed i am left with jamjars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Is it at all possible to get proper sunglasses with prescription lenses or are us bespeckled folk condemned to wear normal frames that let light in from every side?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

I just received my order from Zenni Optical today. Ordered them Sunday, April 26 and recieved them today Tuesday, May 12. Two weeks plus a day.

They cost $23.90 USD including delivery. The suntint looks great and they look like normal sunglasses, except that I can see through them properly.

I bought this style in black with 80% grey lenses. I couldn't be happier to finally have sunglasses that don't make me look like a member of the beatles, not to mention cost so little! Next time I change my glasses I'll be getting them online, too.

Had a look at this sight great prices but do they ship to ireland? I could not find a mention of shipping to ireland only US

RLJ wrote: »
    what is pupilary distance please and how do you measure it? edit ok googled it

Can you drive ok with 80% tint?

Would it be an idea to go to specsaver and pay for a test and get copies of your notes. I think a test is only 20 euro? how much more if you need slimmed down lenses. if i don't have lenses slimmed i am left with jamjars

I don't drive yet, but I bought these in part because I'm learning this summer. I just took them out for a test in the lovely sunshine this evening and I'm confident I'll be able to drive in them. They also have a 50% tint if you're unsure.

My test at specsavers was more like 27 euro. I forget exactly.

If you get plastic frames (which I've been getting for years now) you don't need the extreme high index lenses so I didn't bother with them. This crowd do have two different higher index lenses (1.61 = $17 and 1.67 = $37) if you're getting metal or a half rim style.
    Scruff wrote: »
    Is it at all possible to get proper sunglasses with prescription lenses or are us bespeckled folk condemned to wear normal frames that let light in from every side?

I'm not sure what you mean by proper sunglasses. Do you mean something along these lines?

http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php?cat=27

smares wrote: »
    Had a look at this sight great prices but do they ship to ireland? I could not find a mention of shipping to ireland only US

They shipped to me and I'm in Galway :)

It costs 9 euro to ship here, instead of the 4.95 that it costs to ship to the US. I didn't see it on the website either so I emailed them before I ordered :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

There are 2 other sites that I have used this year,

goggles4u which I got from a bargain alert here. See thread. I'm wearing them now and they are spot one! Cost €18 delivered :D

vision2you which I found after a bit of searching on the web when the mrs found a pair of DKNYs she liked. We jotted the model number and off I went online. They were €300 :eek: not including lenses or coatings etc. in the opticians (total ~€400:eek:). They cost about €100 delivered for the same on this site including UV + antiglare_ scratch resistant coatings. Arrived via courier 2 days after dispatch. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Don't forget to check out Glassy Eyes to get even further discounts from several suppliers (as well as reviews etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I got my last pair and also sunglasses from Goggles4U - in fairness you can't go wrong for €18 - although my only gripe is that they say there's an anti scratch coating - if there is it's not very good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

She said there's no way you could order glasses online. I can't remember exactly what she said but I think she made out you'd need to try out the frame before buying and there were other factors.

OMG I got to buy them here then, that internet is evil, I knew it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

There is an opticians on Talbot Street that advertises morning eye tests for a fiver. Think its called [SIZE=-1]Super Savers[/SIZE].

Have used goggles4u and found them spot on. Once got a very slightly damaged pair (ordered several) and they sent me another :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Anyone spot any nice frames that would be suitable for sunglasses (for male)? Having a hard time deciding :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Xiney, would you mind posting your prescription? Have you any astigmatisms etc.?

Yes, I have astigmatism, which is one of the reasons contact lenses don't work for me.

My prescription is as follows:

Right: -5.50 (sph) -0.75 (cyl) 18.0 (axis)
    Left: -4.75 (sph) -0.75 (cyl) 167.0 (axis)

It's not a minor prescription at all, although I've seen worse.

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Anyone spot any nice frames that would be suitable for sunglasses (for male)? Having a hard time deciding :P

Depends on your style - I think most guys look good in aviators (especially more square type)

If you're not sure, just go to a store, try on a bunch of styles and then try to find something similar online. It's not just the frame style that matters though, but also the lens shape - so take note of that as well when you find what suits you.

My test at specsavers was more like 27 euro. I forget exactly.
    probably would be now couple years since i was tested
    If you get plastic frames....you don't need the extreme high index lenses so I didn't bother with them. This crowd do have two different higher index lenses (1.61 = $17 and 1.67 = $37) if you're getting metal or a half rim style.
    is high index the slim lenses
    what is a mid index lens of 1.57 in bifocal. Sorry about the technical questions you seem well up on them;)

Yes, high index lenses are the slim ones. Basically they are made out of a material that have a higher refractive index, so you don't need as thick a lens to bend the light as much.

They don't seem to have a higher index lens for bifocals, which isn't particularly unusual. You can either get 1.57 bifocals (with a line) for $17 or 1.57 progressive (no line multi-focal) for $29.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm wearing a pair from goggles4u now, and have a pair of sunglasses from them in the post too. €20ish delivered for the sunglasses I think.

Yes, high index lenses are the slim ones. Basically they are made out of a material that have a higher refractive index, so you don't need as thick a lens to bend the light as much.

They don't seem to have a higher index lens for bifocals, which isn't particularly unusual. You can either get 1.57 bifocals (with a line) for $17 or 1.57 progressive (no line multi-focal) for $29.
    Thanks, they say that 1.57 will not reduce the thickness of the lens, the ones i got here are very slimmed down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I thought the same till I found these (see attachment). I hate the "normal" frames where the light comes in from all angles. Defeats the purpose of sunglasses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

Will opticians here have a prob, just giving out the prescription, whats the best approach with em

• Advertisement

Just tell them that you want the prescription. If they get stroppy tell them that you want it for your records, and that you aren't planning on buying new glasses today but may do so in future.

k123456 wrote: »
    Will opticians here have a prob, just giving out the prescription, whats the best approach with em

I just told the optician I was buying glasses online, after he asked if I wanted to browse frames/buy today. He (supposedly) didn't hear me the first time, and seemed stroppy the second time I told him. After that I asked for a copy of the prescription, and asked him to take my pupil distance.

It was Specsavers I was in, and only for an eye test - there is no obligation to buy glasses from them whatsoever, and they must provide a copy of your prescription when you ask for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Only thing about buying online is that I can't find any that do polarized lenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tintar

i'm looking for sunglasses, most likely from RayBans or Police, but don't see any on goggles4u or the other sites mentioned.

does anyone have recommendations for online shops for regular, non-prescription genuine sunglasses? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Biro wrote: »
    I thought the same till I found these (see attachment). I hate the "normal" frames where the light comes in from all angles. Defeats the purpose of sunglasses!

Hi Biro, where did you buy those then, and how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

mawk wrote: »

Vision express measure the PD but I didnt get it on my specsavers prescription before.

Just ring them and get them to fax a copy of the prescription to you if you are uncomfortable asking.

Re prescription sunnies I got a pair of these last year in black.
    http://www.selectspecs.com/Sunglasses/Xiteli/2816/ss261.01.html
    Think they cost me about €60 but I wanted a pair that looked like sunglasses and not regular glasses with tinted lenses. I love them as was sick of throwing in contacts to wear sunglasses.

They got lost in the post though so I had to wait about three mths from them.

I love zenni optical though - have recommended them to everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Have used www.glassesdirect.co.uk a number of times. Very impressed. They will send you 4 pairs of frames to try out to see which you prefer for £5 and when you order you get the £5 back. Handy if you aren't sure which frames to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Used this website twice, am very happy with both pairs of glasses.

If its any help to any Dublin based people, I got my prescription in Talbot Street at Supersavers Opticians, it cost €5 before midday and I told the optician I only wanted to prescription and didn't have time to browse and buy that day.

I got my father to measure the pupils also, they're usually around 62 - 65. :)

buzz55 wrote: »
    Only thing about buying online is that I can't find any that do polarized lenses?

Mine are polarized I think - light looks green when reflected off them. Just standard fare from goggles4u as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

for the poster wondering can you get normal sunglasses in prescription.

I've bought two pairs of oakleys in the last 7 years, and sent them to oakley to get my prescription put in with their lenses. pricey, but by far one of the best things i've bought, I use them everyday driving, the polarising is top notch and the fit is perfect. I bought the regular frames whereever i fancied, then went to optician that supplied oakleys, he did full eye test and ordered over the phone, sent them off to Oakleys european headquarters (which is in mullingar i think :p), and they were back a week later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

k123456 wrote: »

Tell them you want the prescription that you just bloody paid for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

zuroph wrote: »
    for the poster wondering can you get normal sunglasses in prescription.

I've bought two pairs of oakleys in the last 7 years, and sent them to oakley to get my prescription put in with their lenses. pricey, but by far one of the best things i've bought, I use them everyday driving, the polarising is top notch and the fit is perfect. I bought the regular frames whereever i fancied, then went to optician that supplied oakleys, he did full eye test and ordered over the phone, sent them off to Oakleys european headquarters (which is in mullingar i think :p), and they were back a week later.

You can do the same on the site that ams posted. Nice find ams!
    They do work out more expensive that the regular galsses but look better imo.
    Here is a Ray-Ban example
    Are the prices here must cheaper than what you do zuroph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Sorry for going off topic, but has anyone here purchased Glasses online and had lenses fitted to them in ireland? Can anyone advise on an estimated cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

You can do the same on the site that ams posted. Nice find ams!
    They do work out more expensive that the regular galsses but look better imo.
    Here is a Ray-Ban example
    Are the prices here must cheaper than what you do zuroph?
    yes, by a few hundred. however "When you choose a pair of Sunglasses we remove the original tinted len2ses the Sunglasses come with to glaze them with your prescription lenses"

with my ones, the lens are specifically made by oakley, which is what I wanted, they have a great reputation for the protection and clarity levels of their lens. the polarisation is amazing, its really noticeable at ATM machines etc, where i can see damage that the naked eye wouldnt see.

Advertisement