Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Product shots

• 12-05-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

I'm having to do a few of these at work lately, and I'm struggling to get it right.

Part of the problem is light. The room I use has little to no natural light, meaning that I'm having to contend with the slightly gloomy, yellow-y bulb light. I don't have the option of getting in any additional studio lights, so really have to make do with my hotshoe flash (Nikon SB-600) and white card as reflectors.

The shots I've took so far tend to be a tiny bit soft (I'm using a tripod, remote shutter cable and as low an ISO as I can get away with), plus the whites have a slight yellowish tinge for obvious reasons.

I'm shooting stuff like brochure covers (which makes using the flash especially difficult), shoes, cans etc. Usually shoot at aperture priority at between f2.8 to f7.1 (judged by eye to the logos etc. is sharp and the background is out of focus), shot with a 60mm prime.

Any tips? I'd especially welcome any hints on how best to use my flash.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Try shooting the flash through a large white sheet, I usually use a light tent for stuff like this and the flash goes through the sides of the tent. Can brochure covers not be scanned and put into a shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

have you set your white balance on the camera to shoot for tungsten, alternatively shoot auto-white balance and shoot in raw and fix it in photoshop or other equally good programs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Have you tried to set a custom white balance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Try and get the flash off the hot shoe and out to one side - use a cable or remote transmitter. It does not matter if you lose the dedicated flash, you can adjust output manually anyway and take plenty of trial shots to get the exposure spot on. If you can get a second flash on the opposite side of the camera to fill in the shadows. Again, once its synched you can adjust the output manually, or just move it in and out to vary the light reaching the subject. Shoot in raw and adjust the white balance manually afterwards, you can also tweak the exposure by a stop or more each way if required. If you can't get hold of a second flash you can do a lot with a decent reflector.

Also, decide what depth of field you need and set aperature to suit. Switch off AF and focus manually at the midpoint of the required DOF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Get yourself down to Dunnes Stores and get yourself a white, pop-up, laundry basket!!!
    I got one a few weeks ago, think it was €6.00!

Lay it down flat, on a white surface, and place your items inside. Place your flash, off-camera, to the right and about 45deg above your item (as good a place as any to start!). Shoot your pics through the opening. You should now be able to get a much softer light across the product, and as everything now has a white surrounding, it looks much better.

Play around with this set-up, perhaps using multiple table lamps, at different positions, instead of using any flash. The basket is great a diffusing whatever light you use.

HTH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

Thanks all - some very good advice there.

Like the laundry basket idea particularly! Would never have thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Simple ideas are often the best!
    And if you make a mess of it, well, you've a nice new laundry basket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

I have one of those laundry baskets too.
    You can buy white card in easons.
    Makes for a nice clean base and background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

If you have tripod, just take long-exposure shots. By doing so, you can control the light temperature and you can always see what you are recording through the lens :-)

Advertisement