Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed re: Astroturf equivalent or some similar product

Options
  • 12-05-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some kind of product that we can use to cover up some areas of shrubbery beds and yet keep the shrubs receiving water.

This is to be placed in a town house complex so its meant for 15-20 houses. Currently we have gravel but due to the design of the beds the stones keep getting blown around and its a complete mess. So we would like to replace it.

I have been thinking that astroturf would be a good idea as it will look like grass to an extent and yet it would be one-way breathable so the shrubs would be getting some water through more than just the small wholes we could cut into some other rubber materials (eg ones used in kids playgrounds and so on).
    The hope is to get something that would let water through and yet not let weeds and so on back up. This would allow the shrub beds to keep growing and yet resolve our issues.

Problem we are having is that Astroturf is extremely expensive and we were hoping to use some kind of other product that was not just rubber.
    We have thought about things like bark and wood-chip but we would be back to the same issue of it being blown all over the place.

Does anyone know of any product that we could use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from Green Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You could use a light grade synthetic grass to cover area, it is rubber backed, durable and could be easily secured in-situ perhaps even over the existing pebble. It would also be a more affordable and better alternative to astro-turf (over engineered for your requirements).

You can pm me for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

You could use a light grade synthetic grass to cover area, it is rubber backed, durable and could be easily secured in-situ perhaps even over the existing pebble. It would also be a more affordable and better alternative to astro-turf (over engineered for your requirements).

You can pm me for more details.

Is this rubber backed synthetic grass permeable? Will it let the water through but not let weeds and things of that nature back up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Is this rubber backed synthetic grass permeable? Will it let the water through but not let weeds and things of that nature back up?

Yes it is permeable, UV stable etc etc. I would avoid anything which isn't.

Advertisement