Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car door lock or locksmith

Options
  • 12-05-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

1999 Hyundai accent. Some component in the door locking mechanism has broken/corroded which left me with a driver's side door stuck shut the other day.

I managed to get it open yesterday by cutting small hall in inside door panel and forcing latch mechanism.

Problem is some part of the actual door locking mechanism is broken which means that even though the outside door handle and inside door release handle engage they do not seem to release the actual door latch/catch. The door lock barrel is fine it's just some part of the connection between the various arms and the actual catch that keeps the door shut.

Does anyone know if repair would be a possibility or if a full replacement of the entire lock assembly (barrel, various arms etc) is the only solution?

Also, does anyone know of an experienced auto locksmith in the Cork City area?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Hi, I reckon it's very fixable. Had the same problem when i had a Starlet

many years ago. Take your time, get the door panel off, a few screw and

pop release plastic clips probably holding it to the door. Now look along

the inside of the door, run your hand along inside and you should be able

to find any part that has broken off, now go to your nearest scrapyard

or even main dealer for replacement part, then re-assemble. Oh you'll

probably scrape your fingers abit! Fun learning experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Liawyer

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, gonna give replacing the entire latch assembly a go. I've nothing to lose!

Advertisement