Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stop stopping for breaths

• 12-05-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi All.....

I need some advice and while you would normally find me over in the triathlon and running section I thought you guys might be better qualified to answer my question.

I learned to swim last year and since January have been swimming on averaged twice a week in prep for a triathlon in July. Now I have no problem swimming around 1000 - 1500 meters in a session it wouldnt be fast at all normally ranging from about 30 - 60 mins.
    I have been doing all sorts of drills and gotten advice from instructors etc trying to improve my stroke but I still find that I have to stop take a breath after 2 lengths of the pool (40meters) I cant seem to improve on this at all.
    So my question for you is is there any way i can teach myself to go further without rest brakes or at least with fewer?????

Any advice would be really appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

after how many stokes do u take a breath when you're swimming? might just be a matter of fitness i don't know, but if you find yourself struggling to breathe maybe try taking less strokes per breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You need an angry East German swimming coach named Helga to put the fear into you imo. It's probably just a motivation thing. I can comfortably go for several hundred metres without stopping for breath but I usually feel the temptation to stop for a breather every time I turn unless there's someone there telling me not to. Maybe try a few hypoxia drills (breathing every 5-7 strokes instead of 3) to make breathing every 3 strokes seem more relaxed.

If you have a wetsuit, try getting out for an open water swim somewhere with a friend to build your confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

phantom_lord
    At the moment I am breathing every 4 strokes I have been trying to teach myself to breath every 3 but am finding it difficult at the mo.

Stark

I could deffinatly do with Helga i think lol! I will try delaying the breaths for a couple of strokes, I dont have a wet suit yet but will need to get one soon.

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

At the moment I am breathing every 4 strokes I have been trying to teach myself to breath every 3 but am finding it difficult at the mo.

You should try increasing your breathing rate - I always breath to the right on every right arm stroke. May not be as efficient as three stroke breathing but it works for me. It won't affect your times too much. Make sure you fill your lungs as much as possible on every inhalation as well.

Is your first tri an open water one? If so then wearing a wetsuit will help as it means you will be buoyant wihout much effort making the swim that bit easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

You could try taking a breath every 2 strokes. Though I've seen posters who do triathlons recommend every 3 strokes for open water swimming. How much rest are you taking? If you were to do say 6 sets of 3 lengths with 10-15 seconds rest in between each one next time you swim how difficult would you find it? Would it be next to impossible or would you just struggle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

If you were to do say 6 sets of 3 lengths with 10-15 seconds rest in between each one next time you swim how difficult would you find it? Would it be next to impossible or would you just struggle?

Well Sock puppet the answer to your question above is honestly I dont know, but I will tell you tomorrow..... Im heading to the pool tonight and im going to try a few of the suggestions you guys have given me and I will let ye know how I get on.

Advertisement