Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Renewals\ 3yr licence \ Procedures ??

Options
  • 12-05-2009 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

I attend a talk on Firearms Policies and licensing by the NARGC back in February.
    During this talk he outlined some potential details in regards to the changes in licensing forthcoming this year.

The main points being
    - 3 years licences
    - Increase in fees
    - the outsourcing of renewals, the post office I believe
    - staggered renewals, tempory licences issued to allow for this

When asked about Gun Club Members (Game Clubs) not renewing there membership after the first year as they would now have there 3 year Shotgun\Rifle licence he mention that Club secretaries would have to inform there local Superintendent of there failure to do so.
    Suppose this would be a major issue for target clubs?

Suppose my issue is one, what is stopping anyone not joining there local club and just stating on the licence renewal that they are members. My local gardai have never asked for a list of members and even if they did I assume this would not be released to the local post office.

Has anyone heard of any updates to the licence system (besides the upgrade of PULSE) and will it be rolled out in time for this years renewals?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Terrier wrote: »
    I attend a talk on Firearms Policies and licensing by the NARGC back in February.
    During this talk he outlined some potential details in regards to the changes in licensing forthcoming this year.

The main points being
    - 3 years licences
    - Increase in fees
    - the outsourcing of renewals, the post office I believe
    - staggered renewals, tempory licences issued to allow for this

When asked about Gun Club Members (Game Clubs) not renewing there membership after the first year as they would now have there 3 year Shotgun\Rifle licence he mention that Club secretaries would have to inform there local Superintendent of there failure to do so.
    Suppose this would be a major issue for target clubs?

Suppose my issue is one, what is stopping anyone not joining there local club and just stating on the licence renewal that they are members. My local gardai have never asked for a list of members and even if they did I assume this would not be released to the local post office.

Has anyone heard of any updates to the licence system (besides the upgrade of PULSE) and will it be rolled out in time for this years renewals?

Our game club is asked every year for a list of paid up members if your not paid up the seargant rings you to find out why.
    It makes life easier for the club because we dont have to chase lads for money then.The guard just scares it out of them with a threat of losing their licence.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

foxhunter wrote: »
    Our game club is asked every year for a list of paid up members if your not paid up the seargant rings you to find out why.
    It makes life easier for the club because we dont have to chase lads for money then.The guard just scares it out of them with a threat of losing their licence.:D

1994 was the last time our club was asked to submitted a list!
    We have offer for numerious years and have been told no need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Terrier wrote: »
    1994 was the last time our club was asked to submitted a list!
    We have offer for numerious years and have been told no need.

I see that Foxhunter is in Wexford, I've been involved in many clubs over the years in Wexford; the local Gardaí down here REALLY look for club memberships and they check, look for original membership cards, photocopy them, chase target clubs for attendance records..... Wexford shooters like it that way too!

Our Gardaí down here seem to take a genuine interest in their sporting shooters' activities, it's not unusual at all for Gardaí to turn up at ranges/clay shoots in Wexford to just have a chat and see that all is in order. We're just lucky I guess, I hear reports of Garda divisions who see sporting shooters as some sort of 'problem'.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The changes being talked about at the FCP seminar on the Ranges and Clubs SIs (this is what I meant about that seminar being fecking important btw) will require the secretary to be the one responsible for keeping an up to date list of all members and ensuring that the local Super has a copy of that up to date list. There's a lot of unknowns about this - how long a delay in doing the paperwork before an offence is committed (or even if it's an offence), and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

foxhunter wrote: »

Id wish that was done in my area it would cut out all the cowboys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

G17 wrote: »
    I see that Foxhunter is in Wexford, I've been involved in many clubs over the years in Wexford; the local Gardaí down here REALLY look for club memberships and they check, look for original membership cards, photocopy them, chase target clubs for attendance records..... Wexford shooters like it that way too!

Our Gardaí down here seem to take a genuine interest in their sporting shooters' activities, it's not unusual at all for Gardaí to turn up at ranges/clay shoots in Wexford to just have a chat and see that all is in order. We're just lucky I guess, I hear reports of Garda divisions who see sporting shooters as some sort of 'problem'.

The Gardai should ask for the NARGC Membship card. I knew guys before were showing Local Gun Club membership cards which they "acquired". I thought the three year licence was supposed to be cheaper ie 60 euro for three years,because less paper work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Hi all,

When going for my licence(for .22wmr) I wasn't asked was I a member of any club. Which is good because i'm not. All I was asked for was written permission from 2 farmers. Will I need to be a club member when its up for renewal?

I have applied to my local club for membership but wont know until late August weather i'm accepted or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

pajero2005 wrote: »
    Hi all,

When going for my licence(for .22wmr) I wasn't asked was I a member of any club. Which is good because i'm not. All I was asked for was written permission from 2 farmers. Will I need to be a club member when its up for renewal?

No. Gun club membership was not a requirement for your getting a licence.

If you applied for a licence stating that you were a member of a gun club instead of having landowners permission, then you would be required to remain a member of a club to keep your licence.

Advertisement