Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under the table drinking making a comeback?

Options
  • 12-05-2009 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

Something I’ve noticed over the last few months in pubs and more so clubs has been the amount of people pouring their own drinks on the sly from hipflasks/naggins or even girls taking bottles of beer out of their oversized bags. Seems the recession and the continuing rip-off prices in pubs are forcing people to revert to their student days.

To be honest, I'm tempted to give it a go myself this weekend - got a nice hipflask at home and it wouldn't be any hassle to fill it with vodka and whip it out on the sly in a club. Anyone else doing it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Seen it done..seen as they dont search anymore...just order a coke or whatever whip out the nagan,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I done it a few weeks back. Turns out as I was running nearly naked down the main street in Mullingar that there actually is a reason why pubs/clubs restrict the amount of alcohol you get.

Was a cheap night out though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

always......would never go out without a nag of vodka in the bag.....why pay so much if you dont have to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I find myself getting more and more drunk at home before I head out these days. I probarbly wont hit a pub until at least 11 o clock and by that time ill be fairly well on which leads to only 3 or 4 pints in the pub and virtually nothing in the night club.

Gone are the days where Id drop 150bucks on a Saturday night, more like 50 these days including my drinking at home :D

I actually prefer a few of the lads to come over first, have a couple of games of Pro Evo or a bit of the Wii...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

lol I done it for the first time last week. By the end of the night I was drinking is straight from the bottle in the smoking area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Mate of mine went into a night club with a bottle of vodka hidden under the waist of his slacks. He got to the door and the bouncer told him to go on in.

He took one step and the bottle slid down his leg and rolled out onto the floor infront of all the bouncers.. they just told him to go home.

We never laughed so much in our lives

Myself and there or four of the lads have been at this a while in clubs, not really in pubs as we would be on the pints. The hip flask is the only job, trying to be putting naggin bottles in your pocket is very uncomfortable(although we managed in college). We are getting a bit over confident at it lately though, ordering a mixer and then pouring from the flask at the bar(well below the bar out of sight). Nothing really to do with the recession just saves a few euro on a night out, I still spend plenty despite the flask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

a schneaky naggin is the job, down a sock where it'll never be noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

of course, cant go out without the crouching tiger hidden naggin

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

i thought this was going to be about a resurgance of drinking people under the table contests. I'm sorely disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I buy my drinks in the nightclub then pour them into a big 7up bottle and bring it home to drink it.

I hate socializing but I like to do my bit for local businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Surprised it is not more popular, when I started drinking ~15 years ago, it costed roughly twice as much for booze in pubs than offies. Now it is up to 10 times, a heineken 330ml can be €6.20 in some pubs in town (check the ripoff threads), while I have gotten the same bottle for 63cent in tesco.

I stash into concerts mainly, not pubs anymore. I do not want to stand queing for 20mins at concerts, out of sight of the band, only to hand over €6 for a plasitc cup of piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I'm a bit more stealthy in my approach to under the table drinking.

Sneaky drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The_Coon wrote: »
    I'm a bit more stealthy in my approach to under the table drinking.

Under the counter drinking
    I prefer
    this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

i thought this was going to be about a resurgance of drinking people under the table contests. I'm sorely disappointed.

I though the same thing? But I would drink a few of the lads under the table in fairness:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Anyone else doing it?
    Have been doing it for years...why else do ye think us girls bring massive handbags out with us :D
    The_Coon wrote: »
    /shortie%20beer%20hat.JPG"]Sneaky drinking[/URL]
    Gas! But, one fecker behind ye tippin ash into those cups would make for one manky drink :P

I dont feel one bit bad about bringin a naggin out with me. Ill always buy a few drinks in the pub as i dont want to completely take the piss but it makes for a much cheaper and drunker :pac: night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Used to sneak in a nagin in the whole time during college.

2 tips:

1. Dont go to a dive of a place where they actual expect people to sneak drink in, go to a place that thinks v highly of itself, they'd never expect their clientele to be cheap (these places generally use the word clientele to describe their customers and not "drunken messes").

2. Your first order at the bar shouldn't be a red bull and a pint glass full of ice and then head str8 to the jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,914 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I did it all the time and I never had problems when I just ordered a coke. Sometimes you ask for a pint glass, and sometimes you can just grab it from behind the bar. Nobody says much and iirc they arent allowed to search you.

My all time favorite incident was standing by the dance floor bored as sin. The manager runs past shouting into his radio and two bouncers follow him racing past to the front. What the hell - just take the nagon out and drink in plain sight. Nobody left to stop you at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

rubadub wrote: »
    Surprised it is not more popular, when I started drinking ~15 years ago, it costed roughly twice as much for booze in pubs than offies. Now it is up to 10 times, a heineken 330ml can be €6.20 in some pubs in town (check the ripoff threads), while I have gotten the same bottle for 63cent in tesco.

Hang on, 10 times 63 cent is €6.30, so it's not 10 times more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

jape wrote: »
    Hang on, 10 times 63 cent is €6.30, so it's not 10 times more expensive.

/pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I actually don't think it's gained popularity over the last 6 or 8 months. A year or two ago I could name someone who'd been thrown out of Coppers or a club at home each and every week for having the cheeky naggin/shoulder in the jaxx.

Before they did up the upstairs toilets in Coppers the attendant used to keep mental tabs on who brought a pint glass into the jaxx with them and how much they had going into the cubicle. A few mates of mine got thrown out on their sides, literally, for coming out of the cubicle with more in the jug than they had going in.

Personally, and I'm a student, I haven't done the cheeky naggin stunt since last July, and I can't think of the last time anyone in my company did it either, probably going back 6 months or longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,914 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^ you can run into that problem alright. Not that I have. Your other alternative is to just have a chug in the cubicle. Thats how I got into Malibu :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

upmeath wrote: »
    the attendant used to keep mental tabs on who brought a pint glass into the jaxx with them and how much they had going into the cubicle.
    That actually reminded me of a night in Lillies (not my choice i swear) a few weekends back. Off i went to the bathroom with empty glass and came out of the cubicle with a lovely vodka and red bull. Straightaway in goes the attendant and brings out my empty naggin. Im standing at the mirror tryin to hide my glass and she goes "wellll would ye look at that, some cheeky wan bringin in their booze, how will they ever make money if people keep doin that". The 4 other girls standing beside me noddin their heads and goin "hmmm yeh thats horrendous". Meanwhile, im tryin not to burst out laughin and discreetly backin out of the bathroom. She didnt point me out but it was plainly obvious who she was directing it at...first and only time ive ever been caught. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭5318008!

I've found myself having to drink in pubs before (like once on a boozy weekend in galway when i brought my own vodka+miwadi out with me and inevitably found myself in a pub, going to the jacks to down some more :p).

But by far my prefered method is drinking tesco vodka mixed with some innocous drink on the way to the pub/club or before we head out. A 3rd of a bottle of vodka at 10:30 does me for a night, no need for more. tbh i can't see why anyone would buy a drink in a pub. I can get drunk for €5. To me, even €2 drinks are a rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Pfft. I often snook booze in even in the good times. Often even used to bring a full sized cqn of pringles into a pub and eat the thing right there in front of everyone because I thought the pubs were taking the piss with €2 for those mini sized cans.

anniehoo wrote: »
    That actually reminded me of a night in Lillies (not my choice i swear) a few weekends back. Off i went to the bathroom with empty glass and came out of the cubicle with a lovely vodka and red bull. Straightaway in goes the attendant and brings out my empty naggin. Im standing at the mirror tryin to hide my glass and she goes "wellll would ye look at that, some cheeky wan bringin in their booze, how will they ever make money if people keep doin that". The 4 other girls standing beside me noddin their heads and goin "hmmm yeh thats horrendous". Meanwhile, im tryin not to burst out laughin and discreetly backin out of the bathroom. She didnt point me out but it was plainly obvious who she was directing it at...first and only time ive ever been caught. :D

Thats the beauty of the flask no evidence left in the cubicle. As I said before though we have given up going into the toilet to pour drink, just do in it the middle of a crowd or right against the bar/at a table. I have never been spotted with it either I just put in in my pocket no messing with it down my sock!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

my local is like the 'kennedy space centre' for cameras, and run by a cavan man.

first sign of that and it's stamped on. I'm convinced the place is bugged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Quazzie wrote: »
    I done it a few weeks back. Turns out as I was running nearly naked down the main street in Mullingar that there actually is a reason why pubs/clubs restrict the amount of alcohol you get.

Was a cheap night out though
    You have a point there, at least when ypou are buying your booze over the counter, you are pacing yourself, but when you down half a bottle of vodka in the jacks of the pub, its not very conducive to having a sensible night out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Overheal wrote: »
    ^ you can run into that problem alright. Not that I have. Your other alternative is to just have a chug in the cubicle. Thats how I got into Malibu :p

Southie is greaat for that as well.

Advertisement