Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under the table drinking making a comeback?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Its meant to be, 8 ice cubes, a naggin of vodka and a can of redbull fits perfectly into a pint glass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

david wrote: »
    Its meant to be, 8 ice cubes, a naggin of vodka and a can of redbull fits perfectly into a pint glass

Who...counted that...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Who...counted that...?
    :o Not me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

It never went away! Ive been doing it since i started going out!
    The best was me and friend sitting in the toilets drinking a bottle of wine...ah good times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

It never went away! Ive been doing it since i started going out!
    The best was me and friend sitting in the toilets drinking a bottle of wine...ah good times!

Must've saved up quite a nest egg for these recession-y times then!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

comeback? when did it stop ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Never have done it and never will.

I throw out people that try it.

Drink back home then come in and buy a drink or two if the price is that much of an issue.

Its more of a cheap scumbag thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

genericguy wrote: »
    I was at the aussie pink floyd in the point a couple of weeks ago, ordered a popcorn and two beers and they charged me 19 euro. 19. bleedin'. euro. my árse is still killing me! :(

Jesus. I was at the gig in Belfast. £3 for a pint of Harp in the Odyssey. And I even had a smoke in the bogs during the intermission. Top stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Rabies wrote: »

Drink back home then come in and buy a drink or two if the price is that much of an issue.

I worked where I did it. And the cnut running the place still wanted me to pay almost an hours wage for a proper drink when i was off duty. Fcuk that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

poisonated wrote: »
    My friend has a belt with a hip flast as the bluckle...It would be so good to have something like that as it would be really easy to sneak the whiskey,vodka or whatever past the bouncers

Cheers dude , Just bought myself one of these bad boys.
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/BLACK-CROSS-FLASK-BELT-BUCKLE-more-styles-in-my-shop_W0QQitemZ260324357611QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMen_s_Accessories_UK?hash=item3c9c8a75eb&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I'm sure it will pay for itself in no time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I always do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol times are tough eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

CommieBaz wrote: »
    Must've saved up quite a nest egg for these recession-y times then!

yes! Which will be spent on even more alcohol to sneak into pubs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Hope not, tried it once, not pretty.
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/163/348607460_3df40e834e.jpg?v=0

Not to mention the funny looks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

yes! Which will be spent on even more alcohol to sneak into pubs!

The system works!

Me, I only get away with it half the time....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Shoulder of Smirnoff, 1.25 litre bottle of coke, jeans back pocket, full-length leather trench-coat.

Job done, and hasn't failed yet. No bouncer is gonna look up a metal-heads coat to check his ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭b28

im gettin into the habit now of drinking a few cans of that €5 for 4 cans cheap beer, then headin out and drinking a few pints slowly
    i simply can't afford nights out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

I think nightclubs should turn a blind-eye to this.

Whenever we go to a nightclub, we pay the admission (usually €10 - €15) depending on the place and usually buy at least ONE drink in the place, or at the very least a soft drink to mix the vodka with.

So even though we sneak the vodka in, they are still making some money off us every time.

It's not like we're gonna buy 4 double-vodkas in the place anyway if we don't sneak in the naggin. So they aren't LOSING money that way.

Come on nightclubs! Turn a blind eye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

jape wrote: »
    I think nightclubs should turn a blind-eye to this.

Whenever we go to a nightclub, we pay the admission (usually €10 - €15) depending on the place and usually buy at least ONE drink in the place, or at the very least a soft drink to mix the vodka with.

So even though we sneak the vodka in, they are still making some money off us every time.

It's not like we're gonna buy 4 double-vodkas in the place anyway if we don't sneak in the naggin. So they aren't LOSING money that way.

Come on nightclubs! Turn a blind eye!

They already do.

I was speaking with two fellas I know on this very topic last week (they co-own a reasonably prominent club in the city centre). They basically broke it down like an equation, and explained various reasons why they can afford to ignore it:

1) They reckoned on a good night somewhere in the region of 1 in as few as 5 people are doin it.

2) It's mainly girls who are at it. Maybe 4:1 they reckoned, for various reasons: handbag convenience/they'll drink shorts more readily/they'll take the risk more as they get away with it more than guys if caught for some reason.

3) Girls apparently spend considerably less money in clubs on a night out than guys anyway for various reasons including lower alcohol tolerance/more money sense. That money was never coming in anyway, so the "hand in the till" effect is not as dramatic as one would think.

4) Lads drink beer, that's not gonna change, they're generally not mad on drinkin shorts all night. The beer demand is always gonna be there, coz u cant sneak beer in for the most part.

5) The lads also reckoned that by having lax search standards at the door it means more people turn up, and more importantly more girls get fuckled, which attracts a lot more lads as the club gets a reputation for easy women.

6) Beause people are so locked on spirits, it also causes them to lose their spending inhibitions.

7) So in the current climate they were saying that flling their 500 capacity is a rarity. If they have 200 people in, all following the rules and spending 25 quid or so each a night they'll make €7k between €10 admissions and 25 quid each or so on drink.

However if they get another 50 people in with a naggin in their bag/pocket, they're still gettin admission and a tenner for mixers out of them too.

As long as we're in recession and clubs struggle to pack out, there won't be any serious drink searches at the doors, as it doesnt make financial sense to give people a reason not to come in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I try and smuggle a nagin/shoulder into clubs as often as possible. But either way i'm probably going to spend the same amount on drink, it's just i'll proablly be drunker, quicker and for longer if I have a nice pint of vodka/mixer to start off with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Surely it's better value to sneak in the coke and pay for the vodka?

Overheal wrote: »
    I worked where I did it. And the cnut running the place still wanted me to pay almost an hours wage for a proper drink when i was off duty. Fcuk that.
    What an ass!
    I allow my staff free sodas and juice all night and when not working.
    Any drinks are 50% off.
    lol times are tough eh?
    Yup.

You have to catch us first!!:D

Drinking in houses is not a viable option as we go to the pub first for a few hours before the club and drink beer, or in my case Guinness for which the pub is a must. The hip-flask only comes out for the night club or the last part of the night in a late bar. Also I don't really like drinking in houses regularly as it is just not the same as a pub. So in reality on a night out I save the price difference between 6ish vodkas/whiskeys etc in the club with what I paid for the bottle in the off-license or the UK(which is spread over a few nights). I will still buy mixers and often buy additional drinks in the club, but the saving by bringing in the flask is still worth it.

one of my proudest moments was sneaking in a few cans of germania into upstairs cuba and dancing about drinking straight from the can.. couldnt believe i didn't get kicked out.

good times.

You have to catch us first!!:D

When you've been drinking you'd be surpirsed how easy it is to spot.

My doormen check all bags and watch closely inside as well, they have to know what I stock so they can act and kick out people. Very little gets past my guys.

I have between 1500-2000 people through my doors at weekend nights and I can only hold 220 people. We catch nearly it all at the door.

When you've been drinking you'd be surpirsed how easy it is to spot.

My doormen check all bags and watch closely inside as well, they have to know what I stock so they can act and kick out people. Very little gets past my guys.

I have between 1500-2000 people through my doors at weekend nights and I can only hold 220 people. We catch nearly it all at the door.

The searching people thing does not go on in Galway or the other places I go as far as I can see so I just have the flask in my pocket no problem. I have been bringing drink into clubs since for 6 years and never have I been caught once(touch wood), that includes bringing in 1 litre bottles of miWadi pre-mixed with a shoulder of vodka back in first year of college. I had to keep my hand in my jacket pocket to hold the bottle inside my jacket and hand over ID and pay etc with the other, If I was ever asked to take my hand out I was fooked. Then up to the bar for two pint glasses of water, into the toilet and emerge with two pints of vodka and orange! Good times but I dont know how I used to drink miWadi as a mixer terrible stuff!!

I still leave plenty of money after me in clubs and went through a phase of not bringing my own drink but it was robbing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

I saw a load of hip flasks for sale in my local Centra Off License yesterday. People Power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I used to sneak cans into clubs in the sleeves of my jacket. Haha this is goin back a few years but i basically figured that I could have 2 cans in my left sleeve and one in my right. I only put one in the right sleeve so's not to restrict my movement too much in case I needed to hand over ID or pay a cover charge. Pouring them was awkward. It required getting a pint of water, going to the jacks, passing the toilet guy with a pint of water, going into a cubicle, pouring the pint, hiding the can and walking nonchalantly past the toilet guy on the way out holding a full pint. Good times!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Surely it's better value to sneak in the coke and pay for the vodka?

Hahaha, very good.

Advertisement