Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under the table drinking making a comeback?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

We are all acting like students again....:o

Guess I will have reaquaint myself with the ol' naggin of JD...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

Rabies wrote: »
    Never have done it and never will.

I throw out people that try it.

Drink back home then come in and buy a drink or two if the price is that much of an issue.

Its more of a cheap scumbag thing to do.

idiotic comment there dude. stop chrging 7€ for a shot and coke and then come back to me. i have zero sympathy for publicans, rip-off merchants to a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I guess the "cheap scumbag" was way ahead of us on this one..fair play to him...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Coddlemonster

back in the day i made an astounding discovery! a naggin and a can of coke will fit perfectly into a 500mm can! not bad if you dont mind warm V&C with a hint of beer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

idiotic comment there dude. stop chrging 7€ for a shot and coke and then come back to me. i have zero sympathy for publicans, rip-off merchants to a man.

I don't.

I charge NZ$4 for a house spirit, tap beer, and some bottle beer 7 days a week from 3pm-7pm and all night Thursdays.

Normal price is $7.50 for spirts, $6 tap beer and $7.50 bottle beer.

I don't charge for mixers with spirits.

If you want to drink just a mixer then it is $3.

You can go to xe.com and work out the exchange rate. The average customer to my bar earns $12-$20/hr. About half of my customers are students.

As for the 'idiotic comment', you don't bring your own cooked steak to a restaurant and only order veg because its cheaper, do you ? :/

Like I said, drink back home. Party in town. you don't have to buy drink in our venues. Sure its nicer when you do, but a having a crowd is better than no one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Rabies wrote: »
    I don't.

I charge NZ$4 for a house spirit, tap beer, and some bottle beer 7 days a week from 3pm-7pm and all night Thursdays.

Normal price is $7.50 for spirts, $6 tap beer and $7.50 bottle beer.

I don't charge for mixers with spirits.

If you want to drink just a mixer then it is $3.

You can go to xe.com and work out the exchange rate. The average customer to my bar earns $12-$20/hr. About half of my customers are students.

As for the 'idiotic comment', you don't bring your own cooked steak to a restaurant and only order veg because its cheaper, do you ? :/

Like I said, drink back home. Party in town. you don't have to buy drink in our venues. Sure its nicer when you do, but a having a crowd is better than no one.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. It makes sense now. You're establishment is not in Ireland!!!

Trust me, you wouldn't be getting "2200 people through the doors at weekends" willing to pay full whack for drink if it was in Ireland. No money/ridiculous rip-off prices are the norm.

You should see my last post for a helpful real-world economics lesson for when recession bites properly in NZ.

FearDark wrote: »
    I find myself getting more and more drunk at home before I head out these days. I probarbly wont hit a pub until at least 11 o clock and by that time ill be fairly well on which leads to only 3 or 4 pints in the pub and virtually nothing in the night club.

Gone are the days where Id drop 150bucks on a Saturday night, more like 50 these days including my drinking at home :D

I actually prefer a few of the lads to come over first, have a couple of games of Pro Evo or a bit of the Wii...

you my friend are a god among us mere mortals.:p

If only is was PES on the PS3/Xbox360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 johnnyraw

I buy my drinks in the nightclub then pour them into a big 7up bottle and bring it home to drink it.

I hate socializing but I like to do my bit for local businesses.

Brilliant!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    And you paid it? You're the bigger fool

Touché... in fairness i am weak in such situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

It never went away! Ive been doing it since i started going out!
    The best was me and friend sitting in the toilets drinking a bottle of wine...ah good times!

people dont need to know our shame!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

of course, cant go out without the crouching tiger hidden naggin

even better, crouching cider, hidden naggon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

even better, crouching cider, hidden flagon..

fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

consultech wrote: »
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. It makes sense now. You're establishment is not in Ireland!!!

Trust me, you wouldn't be getting "2200 people through the doors at weekends" willing to pay full whack for drink if it was in Ireland. No money/ridiculous rip-off prices are the norm.

You should see my last post for a helpful real-world economics lesson for when recession bites properly in NZ.

The recession isn't just in Ireland.

NZ has been hit too, granted not as much as Ireland. But Irish people earn more than NZ. hell, even people on the dole here get more than many NZ'ers.

NZ people live better within their means than Irish.

My point is what people are doing is low and like I said, its something'd expect from scumbags. Ya those people that most of AH complains about!
    But then they do similar things... odd! :-/

We have crazy prices here too. There is bar around the corner from me that charges $12 for a bottle of Hein. Anotehr that charges for $9.50 for a bottle and $10 for a house spirit.

At the end of the day, if you want publicans to drop their prices. Then stop going to their venues. They will do a price cut to attract people back in. By bringing in your own alcohol you are forcing the publican to make back in other ways. That is on the door or by charging for mixers.

It works at both ends young man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭LittleEve

Most nights i take out my own supply of vodka, my local pubs/club never stop me for id or searching bags or anything like that! tho i tend to only drink a little of it and forget bout it later in the night, and come home with half the vodka :rolleyes: ah well!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

To be fair, the money that most publicans make in net profit is nothing compared to the money that the government and the breweries are making. I've worked (not owned or leased) in a pub for over 10 years and the only time that the prices have gone up was when the aforementioned government and breweries dictated it. Also, as i am sure has been mentioned, it is pretty pointless comparing prices in Ireland to prices in Spain etc. Cost of Living being just one of many factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Sean_K wrote: »
    a schneaky naggin is the job, down a sock where it'll never be noticed.

..or down the underpants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Degag wrote: »
    I've worked (not owned or leased) in a pub for over 10 years and the only time that the prices have gone up was when the aforementioned government and breweries dictated it.

Would this be like when the government adds 10c tax and the publican adds another 10c for themselves.

Constantly happened in the past.
    Though not in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

mikemac wrote: »
    Would this be like when the government adds 10c tax and the publican adds another 10c for themselves.

Constantly happened in the past.
    Though not in the last few years.

To be fair whenever the breweries put prices up by something like 7c or 12c, most publicans just rounded it up to 10p or 15p.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

This reminds me of the time I was invited to some arty-farty private party in a posh London pub. A group of lads had sneaked in a few bottles of wine to avoid the mental drinks prices (£11 for a G&T FFS). Only one problem, they forgot a corkscrew.

After struggling for about 30 minutes trying to open the bottle using anything they could get their hands on (forks, matches and pens etc), it shattered and one of the lads had to go to hospital as blood was shooting out of his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Did it a few weeks ago... stickin' it to the Man!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 PirateGirl

i only buy handbags if they can fit a sneaky naggon of vod inside...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

FearDark wrote: »
    I find myself getting more and more drunk at home before I head out these days. I probarbly wont hit a pub until at least 11 o clock and by that time ill be fairly well on which leads to only 3 or 4 pints in the pub and virtually nothing in the night club.

Gone are the days where Id drop 150bucks on a Saturday night, more like 50 these days including my drinking at home :D

I actually prefer a few of the lads to come over first, have a couple of games of Pro Evo or a bit of the Wii...
    I do this alot now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Tried sneaking it in once, lived to tell the tale: http://tinyurl.com/rx6k2l

But seriously, a club near where I live recently stopped selling mixers with a glass and ice, just leaving them in the bottle to cut down on sneaky nagins. I think it's kinda backfiring on them now though as the club attracts a young enough crowd but it's getting emptier as the weeks go by. Don't feel sorry for the twats one bit. €8 cover charge and fiver a pint, pffffff recession me hole.

Advertisement