Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferrari to quit F1

• 12-05-2009 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭

Sky Sports News have just reported a story saying that Ferrari are pulling out of F1 from next year, meaning that this season would be their last. They say the source is AFP.com but I cant find anything on their site at the moment. I would be seriously annoyed if this is true because Ferrari are the only team I have ever supported and I don't think F1 will be able to survive without them and the huge number of fans they attract to the sport.

Heres a link to reuters with the story.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Now is the time for their bluff to be called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Initial reports saying they'll quit if the proposed budget cap is enforced. Sounds like they're just throwing their weight around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

dor83 wrote: »
    Sky Sports News have just reported a story saying that Ferrari are pulling out of F1 from next year, meaning that this season would be their last. They say the source is AFP.com but I cant find anything on their site at the moment. I would be seriously annoyed if this is true because Ferrari are the only team I have ever supported and I don't think F1 will be able to survive without them and the huge number of fans they attract to the sport.

Ferrari wont pull out
    They are just holding back on their entry for next year over the Two Tier season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Well we will see before the end of the month anyway, I think thats when they have to register for next season by. I just don't think I could support another team and that would decrease my interest in the sport dramatically, I also think there will be a big number of Ferrari fans who would feel the same way and lose interest in the sport. Hopefully it doesn't happen because I think the sport is just starting to get more interest in the last couple of seasons and for this to happen would not be good for the sport commercially

And heres the story from skysports.com
    Ferrari have announced that they will quit Formula One at the end of the 2009 season if a budget cap is introduced.

In an effort to cut costs in the sport, the FIA have put forward a proposal to limit the amount teams can spend from 2010 onwards.

Ferrari's board of directors met on Tuesday and decided that the team, who are the oldest and most successful in the sport, should no longer participate in F1.

"No F1 in 2010 if the rules do not change. Ferrari confirms its opposition to the new rules imposed by FIA and does not intend to register cars for the 2010 F1 world championship," a Ferrari statement said.

more to follow.../QUOTE]

Sounds like they're just throwing their weight around.

Indeed you could be right after reading this
    Ferrari 'to quit' over budget row

Ferrari have announced they will quit Formula 1 at the end of the season if the sport continues with plans to adopt a £40m budget cap from 2010.

"No F1 in 2010 if the rules do not change," read a statement. "Ferrari does not intend to register cars for the 2010 F1 world championship."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I thought the budget cap was voluntary only? If so it won't affect them, or are they worried about, as another poster alluded to, a two tier system of haves and have not's ?

Mena wrote: »
    I thought the budget cap was voluntary only? If so it won't affect them, or are they worried about, as another poster alluded to, a two tier system of haves and have not's ?

From what I have read/seen on TV almost every team is against a two tier championship so if thats the case they could be doing the sport a favour. I'm not sure they will win this one though because the FIA have been adament about the fact that the rules will stick and Ferrari will look very foolish if they give in to them. Could Ferrari have got themselves into a very bad situation were they might have two options 1. give in to the FIA and lose the power they seem to have as the strongest team against them or 2. pull out in stubborness.

From itv-f1.com
    Ferrari has upped the stakes in the teams’ standoff with the FIA over budget capping by announcing it will quit Formula 1 in 2010 if the current regulations remain in place.

The sport’s most iconic team has been at loggerheads with the governing body since the optional £40 million budget was ratified earlier this month, with its president Luca di Montezemolo branding the rule, and the potential two-tier system it creates, both unfair and unworkable.

Now following a board meeting in which it revealed yesterday would involve discussions over its Formula 1 future, the team has confirmed that, as the rules currently stand, it won’t be on the grid next season.

"The Board considers that if this is the regulatory framework for Formula 1 in the future, then the reasons underlying Ferrari’s uninterrupted participation in the World Championship over the last 60 years – the only constructor to have taken part ever since its inception in 1950 – would come to a close," a statement read.

"The same rules for all teams, stability of regulations, the continuity of the FOTA’s endeavours to methodically and progressively reduce costs, and governance of Formula 1 are the priorities for the future.

"If these indispensable principles are not respected and if the regulations adopted for 2010 will not change, then Ferrari does not intend to enter its cars in the next Formula 1 World Championship."

Toyota and Red Bull have already threatened to pull out of F1 unless the two-tier plan is reconsidered./QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

As a Ferrari fan I would be gutted but I wouldn't be so sure that it's not going to happen.

Toyota and Red Bull / Toro Rosso have said the same thing and there's a strong possibility that the major teams will boycott the series and not sign up before May 29th. Is it possible a break away series will happen, it was threatened a few years ago if I remember.

In 1995 everybody thought the Indycar World Series was invincible. It no longer exists and the FIA could drive Formula 1 in the same direction.

The only teams that will sign up to the current rules are Williams, Force India and Brawn because their only business is Formula 1. If there is a split, like there was in the US, fans will be divided and neither series will thrive.

Single seater open wheel racing in America still hasn't recovered and I hope the FIA are not going to do the same thing to F1

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The only problem with ferrari leaving is that it may have a snowball effect. A grid of 8-10 cars isnt good enough and people will stop watching.

I dont think I would find it very interesting anyway

Ficus wrote: »
    toyota and the red bull teams are saying the same thing as ferrari, so i dont think bernie would be too keen to lose 8 cars from the grid.
    a comprimise will be worked out.

Well, Bernie has said he won't let it happen and there is no F1 without Ferrari. Someone needs to call Max Mosley to heel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

With the damage that Max and Bernie have done to F1 in recent years maybe its time for a breakaway series.

it wont happen
    If it does there would be too many teams pull out
    can any of you see Bernies Retirement fund going down the swanney ?:D

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    With the damage that Max and Bernie have done to F1 in recent years maybe its time for a breakaway series.

Like I said above, a breakaway series in America (the IRL) destroyed single seater racing over there. 13 years later it's only starting to pick up the pieces.

The same thing would happen to F1 if there were two series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Ferrari were pretty much invisible for most of the '80s and '90s, and F1 didn't suffer for it, so they aren't as indispensible as people suggest. Furthermore, I don't think the sport has been diminished by their mediocrity this year either. If they (and McLaren, Toyota, Red Bull and Renault) were to leave the sport, they would have great difficulty finding additional new teams willing or able to join and compete against a bunch of infinitely wealthy teams in any breakaway championship. And in the current economic climate, you'd have to question whether it would be possible to even set one up. I say the FIA should just ditch the two-tier idea and impose a strict $40M budget cap on all teams (including driver salaries). If the obscenely rich teams take issue with that, preferring to hurl huge amounts of money at the pursuit of success, then just let them go - with reasonable budget limits, there will be plenty more teams willing to take their places.

RayM wrote: »
    I say the FIA should just ditch the two-tier idea and impose a strict $40M budget cap on all teams

That is exactly what FOTA are after.
    Isnt it :confused:

(including driver salaries).

That would be impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

vectra wrote: »
    That is exactly what FOTA are after.
    Isnt it :confused:

Is it? Any official FOTA statements I've seen have made plenty of noises about the importance of cutting costs, but appear not to have mentioned the budget cap. And if they are all happy enough, in principle, with the budget cap, then why has the FIA even offered them the opportunity of this flawed system whereby some of the teams can disregard it in return for technical limitations?
    vectra wrote:
    That would be impossible.

It would involve significant salary cuts for the drivers (hardly an unreasonable prospect in the current climate), but would be entirely possible.

Is it? Any official FOTA statements I've seen have made plenty of noises about the importance of cutting costs, but appear not to have mentioned the budget cap. And if they are all happy enough, in principle, with the budget cap, then why has the FIA even offered them the opportunity of this flawed system whereby some of the teams can disregard it in return for technical limitations?

I agree

My point was regarding the two tier system that would be involved with this.
    That is the factor they are not happy with. ( From what I understand anyway )

It would involve significant salary cuts for the drivers (hardly an unreasonable prospect in the current climate), but would be entirely possible.

Not really unreasonable.

They risk their lives for what they do
    Could you picture Brian Cowen accepting a pay cut to say 100k per year to save the country?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Why are they so against the £40m budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Simple - they can't cope as well as teams who always work on a shoe-string.

mike65 wrote: »

What team is currently under 40 Million per season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Why are they so against the £40m budget?
    mike65 wrote: »

I think the main reason they are against this is that with the new rules they would only have £40million to develop a car, engine etc for the season, as well as run everything else. Development could take up a large % of this budget. Then the smaller teams can come along a buy the engine and transmission at a fraction of the price, leaving them with a lot more of their 40 mil to play around with.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What sort of effect will the 40m cap have on them? What money are they currently spending?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

Stekelly wrote: »
    What sort of effect will the 40m cap have on them? What money are they currently spending?

2008 figures from here,
    Including sponsorship, supplier deals, prize money, team owner contributions, tyre provision and supply of customer engines where appropriate.
    Toyota: $445.6m
    McLaren: $433.3m
    Ferrari: $414.9m
    Honda: $398.1m
    Renault: $393.8m
    BMW Sauber: $366.8m
    Red Bull Racing: $164.7m
    Williams: $160.6m
    Toro Rosso: $128.2m
    Force India: $121.85m
    Super Aguri: $45.6m
    Total: $3,073.45m

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

I think its more about what F1 will become if budgets are capped at £40m. Like Flavio said 'It would be like seeing discount stores suddenly established on an exclusive shopping street'

I dont think any team objects to reducing costs .. but not at the cost of the sport so to speak.

To be honest I think they're right to threaten to pull as they feel the FIA is no longer listening to the teams opinions and making desicions without the teams approval :
    The Board also expressed its disappointment about the methods adopted by the FIA in taking decisions of such a serious nature and its refusal to effectively reach an understanding with constructors and teams

Personally, I think its time Max Mosley was booted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Iridium

Meh, if Ferrari want to throw their toys out of the pram, so be it. Good riddance. You may think F1 will not survive without them. It's more likely that F1 won't survive unless the budget cap is introduced.

It won't happen anyway - they're just throwing their weight around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Iridium wrote: »
    Meh, if Ferrari want to throw their toys out of the pram, so be it. Good riddance. You may think F1 will not survive without them. It's more likely that F1 won't survive unless the budget cap is introduced.

Try f1 without Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota and Redbull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

Meh, if Ferrari want to throw their toys out of the pram, so be it. Good riddance.
    Anyone that thinks Ferrari are simply throwing toys from a pram after 60 years and 16 World Championships is just being silly and probably just doesn't understand the sport.

Anyone that makesd a silly comment like that should not be tolerated in this forum.

Absolute rubbish .:mad:

You're totally wrong.

F1 will not survive without Ferrari and also bear in mind the Red Bull cars and Toyota won't be there either. For the major manufacturers, F1 is about competition with rival manufacturers and without the teams I've already mentioned, Renault, BMW, and Mercedes (ie McLaren) will also pull out.

That's 14 cars gone.

Granted, you will have an influx of new teams, but nobody will have heard of them and they'll be trundling around to empty grandstands and no television audiences. When viewing figures and ticket sales drop, sponsorship money, tv deals etc disappear and Formula 1 dies.

This is about the way the FIA are bulldozing in radical rule changes. Like the unsuccessful attempt to change the way the championship is decided by race wins rather than points. The casual fans will not understand why one series has two different sets of rules and how the driver with the most points is not the champion.

Formula 1 will not survive if it becomes a two tier championship with "medals" for the winner.

The teams have all stated their willingness to discuss budget caps and FOTA have already drafted suggestions on how this could be acheived but Mosley has shot it down.

So you see, this is about a hell of a lot more than Ferrari throwing the toys out of the pram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what i want to know his this 40m seems to be an arbitary figure and if toyota spent 445m in '08 how can they develop a similiar car in '10 for a tenth of the budget (ok it doesn't include driver salries and a few other things) but i think i'm missing something here
    it sound like the end of f1 to me as for me its always been about technological development and pushing the rules. if you cap the budgets that low its a1gp (entertaining as it is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

have to disagree aswell, ferrrari are a massive part of f1 if they quit i dont even know if id still watch it, and in italy they def wouldnt their crazy about ferrari its kinda scarey, im only a ferrari fan since schumacher signed for them since then ive learnt so much about their history ect. i went to maranello once it the most incrediable little town every shop is like a mini museum its freaky, the actual museum didnt even hav security!! they have so much respect for ferrari no one would dare rob/damage anything in their. ferrari hav such a great connection with f1, f1 wouldnt really b f1 without them.

and also for the reason smooch71 posted his spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

A budget cap is required but something a bit more realistic in reference to current spending.Perhaps £100m cap would be more appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ferrari are sounding like a bunch of dicks tbh. None of the big teams seem to be coping this year it just goes to show they had no talent other than throwing money at problems. This has been the best F1 season for a long time the changes are having a great effect and I'd be more than happy to see caps come in. I like racing, I'm not a fan boy of any particular team.

I don't know how Ferrari could expect to be a respected sports car manufacturer when they don't partake in F1.

Ficus wrote: »
    Easy vectra,.

Yes Boss :o:D

ScumLord wrote: »
    Ferrari are sounding like a bunch of dicks tbh. None of the big teams seem to be coping this year it just goes to show they had no talent other than throwing money at problems.

So are you saying that Toyota... Red Bull .. Torro Rosso.. are in the same category as Ferrari?
    They all have said they will pull out as well.

Now Renault and BMW appear to have the same feelings as Ferrari.
    Do you feel you are still right in your thoughts??
    Renault could be the next car manufacturer to threaten to quit Formula One at the end of 2009.

Ferrari, F1's oldest and most famous name, sent the specialist and mainstream media into a spin on Tuesday by announcing that the FIA's budget cap plans for 2010 will lead to its withdrawal from the sport.

Toyota and Red Bull have made similar threats, while Mario Theissen said last week that the new regime would likely lead to the BMW board reassessing its commitment to F1.
    Click here to find out more!

I'd be more than happy to see caps come in.

So would the above teams.
    But NOT 40 Million and Not a 2 teir system which is their major gripe

Ferrari are sounding like a bunch of dicks tbh. None of the big teams seem to be coping this year it just goes to show they had no talent other than throwing money at problems. This has been the best F1 season for a long time the changes are having a great effect and I'd be more than happy to see caps come in. I like racing, I'm not a fan boy of any particular team.

I don't know how Ferrari could expect to be a respected sports car manufacturer when they don't partake in F1.

It's got nothing to do with how competitive or un-competitive Ferrari are.
    Toyota and Red Bull have both got fast cars and they're pulling out too if this ridiculous rule isn't over turned.

Ferrari, Toyota and Red Bull are the only teams who have had the balls
    to stand up and put it up to the FIA. The other teams will follow and you'll have a boycott on May 29th.

The teams are open to budget caps. Just realistic ones that apply to EVERYBODY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

40 million seems excessive alright. This post was the first I heard of it going over the news now it's actually funny to see the stereotypical responses. The Italians are "enraged" and threatening to walk out while the Germans find it unattractive and are reassessing it. :D

I don't see the problem with letting teams come at races from different angles. If all the cars end up very similar it could kill the race too.

smooch71 wrote: »
    Ferrari, Toyota and Red Bull are the only teams who have had the balls
    to stand up and put it up to the FIA.

Renault and BMW look as though they have built up the courage to follow suit now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Its just like anything else, teams will come and go. The series isn't dependant on ANY team. Im guessing Vectra's comment was a joke. Plenty of business and teams available to step up to the plate and enter F1. Sure spectator numbers will drop (For a while) if some of the bigger teams leave, but then again at $40m/yr budget its less of an issue. In any case, as soon as it gathers momentum again, the other teams will most likely come back.

Then again with GM up the swanny who knows what could happen hehe.

Indycar was a bit different, smaller market but also less people interested in involvement.

A budget cap is required but something a bit more realistic in reference to current spending.Perhaps £100m cap would be more appropriate.

ya i would agree, £40m doesnt seem very realistic, i think £100m seems fair enough doe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

F1 can survive without manufactures although Ferrari will be a big loss. Let me explain why

1) We will have the same drivers, in different teams.

2) The racing will be closer

3) The most important reason. F1 could easily die unless this is done. Let me paint a picture that could easily become a reality in 12-18 months. Williams go bust as they cannot compete. Toro Rossa, Force India, and Brawn follow them. Now Renault, BMW, and Toyota are losing way too much money, so ditch the F1 project. That leaves McLaren, Ferrari, Red bull. A 3 team championship, in which probaly two teams at most are in serous contention. Emm, I dont think that would work. The writing is on the wall. Reading between the lines, if things continue the way they are you can take it as gospel that DEFINITLY Renault, BMW, and Toyota will leave, while Williams will go bust. Also, it would be nice if a small team could enter F1 with good young engineers and do well. Like Jordan did in 91. That is VERY unlikely to happen now a days. I say bring on the 40 million budget limit. Everyones life and job has changed in the last year. F1 need to change to reflect this reality and stop living in a bubble, sheilded from reality.

• Advertisement

I The series isn't dependant on ANY team.

Maybe not any one team but if Ferrari goes.. it would result in huge drops if Ratings.
    Now it appears that there are at least 5 teams ready to "Up and Off"
    10 top cars missing from the grid?
    4 of those 5 teams being constructor and suppliers.

Im guessing Vectra's comment was a joke.

Which comment was that :confused:

. Sure spectator numbers will drop (For a while) if some of the bigger teams leave, In any case, as soon as it gathers momentum again, the other teams will most likely come back.

I dont think so
    aproxx 30% of the followers are Ferrari Fans
    Could uncle Bernie sustain that drop?
    Not a chance in hell

Its just like anything else, teams will come and go. The series isn't dependant on ANY team. Im guessing Vectra's comment was a joke. Plenty of business and teams available to step up to the plate and enter F1. Sure spectator numbers will drop (For a while) if some of the bigger teams leave, but then again at $40m/yr budget its less of an issue. In any case, as soon as it gathers momentum again, the other teams will most likely come back.

Then again with GM up the swanny who knows what could happen hehe.

Indycar was a bit different, smaller market but also less people interested in involvement.

But we're not talking about teams coming and going. We're talking about a mass exodus of potentially some of the biggest teams in it. F1 isn't dependent on one team but it is dependent on stability and continuity.

If the big teams leave and possibly form a breakaway series, you have confusion amongst the fans.

I think the comparison to the IndyCar Wolrd Series is very relevant.

When Indycar split you had the big name teams and drivers in one series (CART), but they couldn't use the name Indycar like they had done for years. You then had a field of smaller, unknown teams and drivers (the IRL), they had the Indycar name and the Indy 500.

What happened? The fans stopped watching both series!

Let's not forget how big Indycar was in 1995, even Bernie Ecclestone was keeping an eye on it from his ivory tower with concern.

The same thing could potentiall happen to Formula 1. You say spectator figures will drop initially but come back eventually. 13 years after the Indycar split, the viewing figures are only a fraction of what they were in '95

All my opinion of course but I hope common sense prevails and none of this happens.

Any money on the first race of next years F1 season taking place in the Walt Disney Speedway??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I'm not a Ferrari fan but i'd give up on F1 as well if this two tier system happens.

From a logical point of view, the best thing for F1 is for the following to happen

1) No two tier system

2) Everyone work to a £40 budget

What good will this fo F1

1) The team with the best engineering skill and driver balance will win the championship

2) It will stop small teams going bust

3) It will stop teams buying sucess

4) It will increase F1's team base as teams from other regions will join F1 i.e USGP

5) It will allow new teams entering the championship to be competitive from the get go, if they have a good engineering team/driver combo

Will this happen ? No. Why ? Because large teams have a vested interest in what is right for them , not F1.

Just a comment. If 30% of F1 fans are Ferrari fans, will they stop watching F1 if Ferrari leave ? The answer is No. Some might. I am a Ferrari fan and I will continue to watch. I was a die hard Michael Schmuacher fan as were millions more. Did they stop watching F1 when he left ? No.

thegoth wrote: »
    From a logical point of view, the best thing for F1 is for the following to happen

£40??

That wouldn't even cover the cost a team shirt!!

(Just kidding....)

1) No two tier system

What good will this fo F1

1) The team with the best engineering skill and driver balance will win the championship

2) It will stop small teams going bust

3) It will stop teams buying sucess

4) It will increase F1's team base as teams from other regions will join F1 i.e USGP

5) It will allow new teams entering the championship to be competitive from the get go, if they have a good engineering team/driver combo

You forgot the one important point.
    Possibly the Biggest facttor in the $40 Million cap

Hundreds... Possibly thousands would lose their jobs as a result.

This is one of Ferrari's objections to the sudden drop to $40 Mil.
    Just a comment. If 30% of F1 fans are Ferrari fans, will they stop watching F1 if Ferrari leave ? The answer is No. Some might. I am a Ferrari fan and I will continue to watch. I was a die hard Michael Schmuacher fan as were millions more. Did they stop watching F1 when he left ? No.

Well
    If Kimi goes and Ferrari goes.
    I would have only have one reason to watch it.
    That would be if Adam Carroll enters.
    I would support him and his team ;)

vectra wrote: »
    You forgot the one important point.
    Possibly the Biggest facttor in the $40 Million cap

Hundreds... Possibly thousands would lose their jobs as a result.

This is one of Ferrari's objections to the sudden drop to $40 Mil.

This is exactly the problem with F1. By that I mean, F1 acts in its own little bubble, so far detatched from reality its not funny anymore. In almost every company all over the world, people are loosing jobs at the moment. Why should F1 be any different ? F1 needs to reflect reality or the reality of life will destroy it.

I love the way Ferrari use this to make them look like kind heart good guys. So what happens to employees WHEN Renault, BMW, and Toyota leave, with Williams going out of business if things stay the same and the lower budget cap isnt brought in ? Guess what. They will be umemployed. No matter what direction F1 takes at the moment, job cuts are a certanity. People might as well accept it.

To be honest I don't think Ferrari have a big problem with a budget cap but I think they might be a lot happier with a staggered reduction in the budget. Maybe allow them £80m next year and £60 the following year and then at that stage the FIA/FOTA could look at it again and see how the world economy is doing and decide if further reductions are required. I just think that £40 next year is too dramatic of a reduction in spending to implement successfully for the big manufacturer teams who spent $350m+ in 2008. I also think everybody agrees that the two tier system should be scrapped too.

just for me personely as a schumacher die hard aswell, ive still watched since he has retired because i grew to luv ferrari because of his time there, but a f1 without schumacher and now ferrari aswell i def wont be planning my life around race wkends like ive always done. it doesnt help either that button will prob be world champ someone who wouldnt hav made many peoples top 10! i think its great brawn/ red bull are doing so well and which ever team wins the constructers thats great, but i just believe the most talented drivers should be winning drivers championships instead of struggling to pick up a couple of pts. ferrari will keep me intrested in f1 but button winning drivers titles wont but thats just me.

This is exactly the problem with F1. By that I mean, F1 acts in its own little bubble, so far detatched from reality its not funny anymore. In almost every company all over the world, people are loosing jobs at the moment. Why should F1 be any different ? F1 needs to reflect reality or the reality of life will destroy it.

I love the way Ferrari use this to make them look like kind heart good guys. So what happens to employees WHEN Renault, BMW, and Toyota leave, with Williams going out of business if things stay the same and the lower budget cap isnt brought in ? Guess what. They will be umemployed. No matter what direction F1 takes at the moment, job cuts are a certanity. People might as well accept it.

ya you hav some good points there,but i think £40m the first yr is not realistic, i think ferrari would agree with something along the lines of what dor83 mentioned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement