Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamps and collecting

Options
  • 12-05-2009 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I recently cleared out my attic and found my old stamp collection. For a few years in my younger days I collected any stamps I could and I kinda might wanna get back into it. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to store the stamps, or how I should continue my collection.

I highly doubt I have any rare issues or anything worth any money and I didn't store them well over the years (unless the recommended storage condition for rare stamps is an old Quality Street tin with a fake dinosaur stamp on it) but I have dozens of stamps from dozens of countries all over the world. I melted the glue on the stamps with hot water, so they're probably water damaged as well and used stamps are almost certainly worth less then mint ones.

I signed up for the An Post stamp collecting thing and I was eyeing up this as well... would it be worth it?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Ideally I'd sell my collection for millions, but realistically if I had something cool I could pass on to my son or daughter then a few quid would be well spent.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Its nice to see somebody find there hobby again,ebay is a good source if you want to buy stamps individually or in bulk,you can also buy complete albums from here but that takes the fun out of it,like you I found my collection from years back and of course not realising it back then I glued the lot in to the books,stupid I know.As for albums to store your collection,well if I were you I'd buy the ones where the stamps are stored in little clear pockets on each page of the album,these store so many stamps per line and theres so many lines then per page.I would not use stamp hinges,if this isn't done right they simpley fall off the page over time and the stamps can become lost.As for An post,they have a good website there and its a great way of picking up issues that are coming out over the year,in some post offices they don't show what new issues are available unless you ask.Hope you enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SexyIrish

arnhem44 wrote: »
    if I were you I'd buy the ones where the stamps are stored in little clear pockets on each page of the album,these store so many stamps per line and theres so many lines then per page.

Any suggestions as to which type, or links?

Cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

if you look at the An Post site you have already linked and go to the shop section you will see a small selection of Davo stamp albums,these vary in price depending on what your looking for and are one of the big names in stamp albums,here also is another couple of links for you to have a look at,theres plenty of stuff to choose from but as I said ebay is definately a good place to pick up bargins.

http://www.stampsupplies.co.uk/shop/catalog/browse?shop_param=

http://www.veratrinder.org/

Advertisement