Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuclear/Emergency Bunker in Galway?

Options
  • 12-05-2009 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Anyone know anything about this?

I remember friends of mine who went to Moneenagisha said that it was under their school. Is this true? What kind of state of repair is it in?

Who gets evacuated to it in the unlikely case of a nuclear attack or a national emergency? I remember reading once that the Government were to be evacuated to a national command centre in Custume Barracks Athlone in the case of a national catastrophe...anyone be able to give me any info?

Maybe the GAAW would like to comment....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

what brought this into your mind? i dont know anything of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

........thought i saw a mushroom cloud earlier so plan on doin a Ned Flanders......just curious! Anyone who went to Moneen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

with those new lights down there it might be deemed useless, maybe thats the "testing" AA roadwatch were on about down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Yes there was a nuclear bunker built under the school. It was built when Russia and the US were engaged in the cold war, in the event of a nuclear war the main people in charge of the city were to go there along with army,Garda, Civil Defence etc, it is still there today under the school but was decommisioned as a bunker and I understand its used now by the civil defence for storage.

When it was built it caused a lot of anger as it was felt that the elite in the City would go there but the ordinary joe soap would have to suffer the after effects of a nuclear war if one happened.

Hope this helps.

If it ever came to the point that we actually needed a nuclear bunker I don't think it would be much use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

If it ever came to the point that we actually needed a nuclear bunker I don't think it would be much use.

Very true - if there was a nuclear explosion tomorrow, the City Council would be arguing for 6 months before they could decide who gets in!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

dilallio wrote: »
    Very true - if there was a nuclear explosion tomorrow, the City Council would be arguing for 6 months before they could decide who gets in!
    The world of the future will need everything except left handed stores, bye Flanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

The ordinary joes would be burnt alive in their cars trying to get into Monegeshia with them hoors of lights that are after going in. Wheres me sledge hammer...and I'll show them.

Yes there is a Bunker. I did the Film&Tv course there back in '06/'07 and in that time they opened it up to the PLC'ers to go on their lunch break to be away from the rest of the school.

It's currently being used by the Civil Defense and is where they do their training.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Being burnt alive, zombiefication, radiation sickness or the collapse of society is not what I find scary about post-nuclear scenarios in Ireland. It's that the Civil Defence might be given some form of responsibility.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info so far...got off my arse and decided to do a bit of searching myself in the Irish newspaper archive, scanned a couple of articles from local and national press....interesting reading if anyone wants to:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Like the oil tanks at the docks, the tunnel on Prospect Hill, McLovin, the camera on the Quinn bridge and those delicious baby swans I think that we need pictures of the bomb shelter. That is your mission, should you choose to accept it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks for the info so far...got off my arse and decided to do a bit of searching myself in the Irish newspaper archive, scanned a couple of articles from local and national press....interesting reading if anyone wants to:

Very cool, thank you.

You've got me curious though: where is the Irish newspaper archive kept?

it is kept in all its digital glory at: http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/

awful handy to search through editions of the local papers for that time you once appeared in a graduation/communion/confirmation photo or to reminisce about the time you were up in court for assault etc etc....it does cost 10 euro for 24 hours though....but it can turn up interesting stuff from a load of regional and national papers...

Advertisement