Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Print and Frame

• 12-05-2009 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Can anyone tell me where i could get an image 3296px × 2472px printed and framed. Its for a present.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

stcstc should be able to help you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

hey

i should be able to help, just let me know what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Carrolli

I just have a image of an old pet that died last year. its a really nice image and i was just wondering it was possible to get it blown up and framed and if so what the cost of something like that would be. I'm not sure what the standard frame sizes are , but id like to be large enough maybe to hang over a mantle piece without distorting the image in any way.

How big do you want it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Normally there is a rule which means that you divide the px by 300 to give you true print resolution in inches - this has also been quoted as a figure of 360/320 and I also think depending on the size that you want to enlarge to it can go as low as 200 with acceptable results.

Your 3296px × 2472px image thus would get you;

10" X 8" @ 300 (I know its not exact and i've rounded down to a normal print size)
    16" X 12" @ 200 (again rounded down)

I've no idea of your budget but if not trying to break the bank and willing to do a little DIY you will get acceptable results with standard Photolab enlargements - this will cost but a couple of euro for a single print. Then buy a frame in a framing shop or for a budget type of frame - somewhere like Atlantic hardware store. You might want to get a mount within the frame but remember this will take from your image size.

You should at minimum crop the image to the proportions that you are going to enlarge to (10x8 for example) - almost all basic image editing software will do this. This simply ensures that the Photolab's printing process will make no assumptions as to where to 'cut' the excess pixels from. A lot of the time, the above will produce acceptable results

The above assumes you are happy with the digital image that you have. If you need reworking of the image to ensure corrected brightness, white balance, colour saturation, sharpness and haven't the experience to do it yourself then you could get someone to do that for you. stcstc referenced previously comes highly recommended from many of the users here on boards.

If open to looking at something a little different and the image is suitable, then personally I've had stcstc do a block mount enlargement with wraparound edge which turned out really nice. No framing to worry about either.

I guess that there's options there for you to choose from anyhow. Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking maybe 20"X24" or bigger. Not looking for anything monstrous. But a size which you can stand back and admire and not have to be up close to view. (As you can tell I haven't a clue bout this stuff.):D

OK thanks AnCatDubh a very helpful reply. Im not planning getting anything till next month but i can look into this photolab stuff between now and then and if I fail ill contact stcstc.:) But can anyone tell what prices im looking at?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Carrolli wrote: »
    I'm thinking maybe 20"X24" or bigger.

At the size you have quoted you would be looking at about 120dpi or less. This will probably result in a quality which is not the best. Some images it can work, but with many it will look quite poor. Every fault in the image will show up & become obvious.

If you are going to go that large for an image of that resolution then you will probably need someone who knows what they are doing to edit the image.

I too would reccomend stcstc to get the best possible results.

It may be an idea to post up the image in this thread as it would allow people to give better advice.

CabanSail wrote: »
    It may be an idea to post up the image in this thread as it would allow people to give better advice.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have gotton many many prints done by Steve, the largest being a 30 x 40 inch. Now unless you have a 20k camera you are not going to take a picture that size so what you do is you scale up the picture.

Choose your picture and go to image size or resize or whatever is similar in your program, then in steps you increase the size by 10% in each step. Keep watching your image size and when it comes up to the size you want it stop there and save it as a tiff file.

My average size is a 20x24 canvas and I have NEVER had a bad result! My clients are coninuously blown away by the results. Obviously you dont want to go to extremes using this method so you can also factor in a mount to enlarge the frame size also. I know 20 x 24 would be a little on the small side to go over my mantel although I have a wide chimney breast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

One problem I can see is that to make that, in my opinion, that image needs to be cropped to at least remove the doorway & the pot to the left. This will of course reduce the resolution even further.

My preference would be for a Potrait crop just keeping the dog in the frame & cloning out anything that is a distraction.

79757.JPG

This is rough, I do not have PS here, so cannot clone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

If you want it done on canvas I can do it using one of these with this ink on this media :)

Advertisement