Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're getting an elected Lord Mayor for Dublin!

Options
  • 12-05-2009 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Well who will it be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bill Cullen :pac:

I think boards should field a candidate.

It will be an interesting one, you'll have a lot of freaks people independently putting themselves up for this; I wonder what the nomination requirements will be, if any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I think Bill Cullen has enough on his plate for the moment with a car market on its t*ts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

I can't believe John Gormley mentioned Bertie Aherne - I wish he would go away, he leftthe country in a complete mess

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

more bureaucracy, quangos and confusion.
    nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Any link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0512/dublin.html

I found this bit interesting:
    Environment minister John Gormley has announced that Dublin is to have a directly elected mayor next year.

The new mayor will be responsible for planning policy, waste management, water services and housing across the four major Dublin local authorities.
    I always assumed the mayor would simply be head of Dublin City Council. Does this mean all Dublin residents will get a vote, rather than just those in the city?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I don't think it will be a 'lord' mayor unless the English crown is authorising it. The first 'Lord Mayor' of Dublin was only in 1665 and authorised by Charles II of England. From 1229 until 1665 the title of the first citizen was Mayor of Dublin. Even professional historians have incorrectly referred to the mayor in medieval times as "lord" mayor.

But what I'd like to know is are they going to abolish the office of Lord Mayor now that there will be a real mayor of the city? The Drivetime programme this afternoon did not address that.

Yes, f&ck the lord stuff, we live in a republic. My understanding was that it was to be a Mayor of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I think it's a good idea- if he actually has real powers.

It did a lot for London and New York.

Why not. I'd like to see someone independent get in there.

Yes. I really look forward to voting on this. Imagine the opportunity to vote directly on development, infrastructure etc. I'd love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Would be great if we picked a boardsie and help get them up and running for it. I'd suggest biko/magnus :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i'll repeat myself here, cos very important. and i want to see what people think

i wouldn't like to see a situation where the other leading candidates for mayor don't get in to the council, its too all or nothing, i want mayors who would be happy to be local councillors too, not just going for the big job, its more likely to be more celebrity, populist or somebody just using the position if the other leading candidates don't end up on the council as well, if it could voted on somehow at the same time as the local elections? and they have to go for the council too and if they get enough votes they become a councillor even if they don't win the separate mayoral election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bertie-hints-at-lord-mayors-post-90620.html

Bertie definitely has his eye on it. Alot will depend on Mahon. I would like to think he would have no chance in being elected but......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

In b4 lock..

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    In b4 lock..

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I think it's a good idea- if he actually has real powers.

It did a lot for London and New York.

Why not. I'd like to see someone independent get in there.

If it was to work like that, and we had someone elected who wasn't affiliated with a party, but was genuinely doing it to help better the city, that would be a fantastic thing.

Being Ireland I fear it will either be seen as a retirement home for party members, or a launching pad for the next dynamic young <insert political dynasty surname here> who couldn't get a Dáil seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

To be frank Im not so happy with this idea of one man having control over planning. We all know what has happened in out past so I hope some constraints will be put.

"Half-baked" is also what I would describe it. I think a move like this should come within the context of a larger framework for local council reform. Its time the whole thing was tackled.

Trivia: London has both a directly elected Mayor and a Lord Mayor elected by the 108 guilds there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 JTfan

Pity Ronnie Drew has passed on....he'd have made a great Mayor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

turgon wrote: »
    To be frank Im not so happy with this idea of one man having control over planning.

he will be in charge of planning policy i doubt he will be looking at every case individually and signing the permissions

he will decide on policy and the authorities will follow it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

And this will help the country how exactly?

Seems to me like it's just going to be another source of income for Bertie to top up his already overly-generous pensions add whatever the usual inflated salaries for his staff (i.e. half the locals in Fagins...)

If there's a half decent candidate I'll get out and canvas for them (despite living in Wicklow) just so I can say I tried to keep Bertie from syphoning off more of the exchequer...

Go on Dev, say'll you'll let us nominate ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Sleepy wrote: »
    And this will help the country how exactly?
    Actually I think it's an excellent idea. At the moment far too much power lies in the hands of unelected county/city managers. If you look at any of the meeting minutes (certainly from my local council), most of it is taken up by elected councillors requesting things from this unelected manager, and him deciding whether or not he thinks these things are important enough to do. It'd be far better to have this person directly answerable to the people. I'd imagine that it will eventually be rolled out to the rest of the country too.

Now, on the other hand, if the mayor ends up being Bertie...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i here by seek the boards.ie nomination.

i promise to bring pain and suffering to those who disagree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

i here by seek the boards.ie nomination.

i promise to bring pain and suffering to those who disagree with me.

We could organise a two horse race.. the boards.ie candidate vs the politics.ie candidate

Not sure how this mayor thing could go, given the unpredictable moral nature of Irish politics... we could end up with the position been one of genuine influence and change, a dumping ground, a reward or a position to be abused for favours to ones friends.
    I really hope they get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Breezer wrote: »
    Actually I think it's an excellent idea. At the moment far too much power lies in the hands of unelected county/city managers. If you look at any of the meeting minutes (certainly from my local council), most of it is taken up by elected councillors requesting things from this unelected manager, and him deciding whether or not he thinks these things are important enough to do. It'd be far better to have this person directly answerable to the people. I'd imagine that it will eventually be rolled out to the rest of the country too.

Now, on the other hand, if the mayor ends up being Bertie...
    So because we can't rely on the person we're already paying to do a job to do it we need to hire someone else with all the expense of a ministerial-level salary, a staff, and an election every few years?

I know delegation of ministerial responsibility to a quango is the Oirish way but to my mind if an employee isn't performing, you replace them, you don't hire a second person to the same job.

I can see potential benefits to a mayor with executive power in Dublin but I'm not sure it's a luxury we can afford right now.

The new Mayor will earn the princely sum of 202,000euros per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

If this mayor does not also oversee public transport and infrasturctural issues then its not so interesting, if (s)he does then cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭squonk

I hate the way everyone assumes it'll be a Bertie position. I think he'd have a nerve going for it after what he's done to this country. Naturally that won't stop him however. Also, why €200,000 pa? it's an elected position so surely half that amount would be more than genrous. We're not looking to attract the most qualified candidate with a monetarily incentivised package here! I actually think that a lesser salary might disuade the liggers like Bertie and encourage someone who actually wanted to make a difference to take up the position. You don't want the mayor to be ont he poverty line either but €110,000 I'm sure would satisfy a lot of us if the boss took us aside and told us that was what our new pay packet was to be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

deadhead13 wrote: »

Compared to Boris johnston's £137k per year who is a mayor for a city with 7million more people in it.

Great benchmarking job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

deadhead13 wrote: »
    The Bert will definitely be putting himself forward so. The only hope is he'll be directing his campaign from mountjoy at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

squonk wrote: »
    I hate the way everyone assumes it'll be a Bertie position. I think he'd have a nerve going for it after what he's done to this country.

+1

Bertie would be the last person I'd like to see in.

Advertisement