Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off HMV!

• 12-05-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

:mad: i know HMV are overcharging %&$*£, but they DO have a good selection. well, I was in the one in the Cresent in Limerick. i bought season 4 of Entaurage and TCON: Prince caspian. all together it came to €24. i asked for the student discount and was asked to produce a student card. fine.
    I removed my GMIT issued student i.d. and showed it to her. This is a card that had been perfectly accepted in Galway, Dublin as well as the other HMV in Limerick, on Cruises St. However, she said this wouldn't do and asked for a HMV student card. after a bit of fishing, i produced it and thought that was that, only to discover that this card was now suddenly out of date, (though i had used it fine a few weeks before that) and that i would need a 2009 student card. As HMV were the ones who issued them, i asked for one, only to be told that they didn't do student cards anymore! What the hell? honestly, if you didn't do them anymore, then why go through the motions bullshi**ing me an wasting my time and yours?

also, recently, I was in the HMV in Galway where my college i.d. was perfectly acceptable in ascertaining me a 10% discount.

I reckon that this is just centered around the Crescent, anybody else have any similar stories?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not really a rip-off though is it?

Did you buy the items?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Not really a rip-off though is it?

Did you buy the items?

and how is advertising a discount that you have no intention of following up on not a rip off?
    If you saw something advertised at €7 and when you got to the checkout you found out it cost a tenner, would you not consider that a rip off?
    Yes I bought the items, though i'm not going to go bact to the store again:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If you saw something advertised at €7 and when you got to the checkout you found out it cost a tenner, would you not consider that a rip off?

No, because the shop is legally obliged to sell you that item for €7 if it is advertised as such. There have been many stories of shops making mistakes on their signs and putting decimel places in the wrong spot, selling TVs for "€10.00" instead of "€1000.00".

In this case the shop HAS to sell you the tv for €10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 monnells

Hi

I'd exactly the same problem last few times I've tried to purchase items in HMV Grafton street and Dundrum. Infuriating, was told on both occassions that they only issue their student card once a year in October so I'd have to wait till then to avail of the discount. Annoying, false advertising, and the studenttravelcard website makes reference to this discount a lot, I must e-mail them and tell them not to bother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

MrStuffins wrote: »
    No, because the shop is legally obliged to sell you that item for €7 if it is advertised as such. There have been many stories of shops making mistakes on their signs and putting decimel places in the wrong spot, selling TVs for "€10.00" instead of "€1000.00".

This is COMPLETELY untrue. They have no obligation to sell you a product at the advertised price if it was a mistake.

I really wish people would stop spreading this rubbish around as truth, it made my life hell when I worked in retail. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No, because the shop is legally obliged to sell you that item for €7 if it is advertised as such.
    Sorry, but that's a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Actually this is totally untrue. The advert is an "invitation" to do business, the merchant/retailer can advise of different terms/prices before the sale is agree and can even refuse to do business with you.

IF you manage to complete the sale at the incorrect price and get the goods, then you are mostly ok. Argos had a recent incident where the had an incorrect price on good and make several sales, but the items required home delivery and the notice the error before deliver was made and cancelled the transaction and refunds cards.

If the incorrect sign is up for some time, and the merchant has been advised of the error and does not correct it, they can be done for false or misleading advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Have to stand up for HMV today. I was buying a couple of Blu Rays & brought them to the cash desk, when the assistant saw what I had, he told me there were some of them on offer, then went & replaced one of the ones I had with a special offer stickered one & it cost me €7 less for the two items

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Weepsie wrote: »
    'invitation to treat' is the term i believe, junior cert business studies right there!

I was going to show off my limited business knowledge...damn you!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If this was true don't you think shops would be teeming with lads putting up fake price tags and then their mates demanding to get it at that price. Simple common sense and a bit of thought will let you know if stuff like that is true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Pure rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

There have been many stories of shops making mistakes on their signs and putting decimel places in the wrong spot, selling TVs for "€10.00" instead of "€1000.00".

They don't.

I find HMV can be quite good these days for music anyway. Some of their boxsets can be quite expensive but on the flip side they do have good sales but I have bought alot of CDs lately at very low prices. And I used to refuse to buy new releases due to the crazy prices they charged, almost €20. Only last week I bought a new release for €7.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Now that most of the other big high street music/video retailers such a Virgin/ZAVVI, Tower etc have closed and with HMV being the last one standing maybe they think they can charge what they like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Read the posts above, there has been no overcharging, they're just not doing the student discount anymore.

Advertisement