Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make the 'Big Switch' from ESB, They sent their solicitors out!

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

escobar wrote: »
    I'd say they're just getting well pissed off with the no's of people changing to Bord Gais.

There are quite a few threads on here which state that the ESB have to cede a certain percentage of their customers to other operators and that's that.

It's an artificial change over in that the others are allowed to drop prices and the ESB have to retain theirs (I moved..).

It's similar to around 10 years ago when Eircom were forced to introduce charges for directory enquiries so as to enable competitor companies to "undercut" these elevated prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

So, the ESB wrote back to me giving me a handwritten Bill.

I've never seen a handwritten ESB bill before!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

can you scan it and post it to the thread?

faceman wrote: »
    can you scan it and post it to the thread?

:(
    No.

I don't have a scanner..
    I'll try get a lend of a digital camera!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

That's an absolute fucking JOKE! Does it have all the relevant details on it such as VAT & company registration no.?

• Advertisement

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    That's an absolute fucking JOKE! Does it have all the relevant details on it such as VAT & company registration no.?

Yeah.. its on headed paper like, so that info is on the header and footer

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

Yeah.. its on headed paper like, so that info is on the header and footer

Just to be clear about this, it's on ordinary ESB bill stationery and the meter readings and charges are written on the bill in handwriting? Is that correct?

Regards,

Fnergg

Fnergg wrote: »
    Just to be clear about this, it's on ordinary ESB bill stationery and the meter readings and charges are written on the bill in handwriting? Is that correct?

Regards,

Fnergg

Yeps, thats it exactly

Yeps, thats it exactly

That's incredible!

I know for a fact that it is not ESB practice to send out handwritten bills. I cannot envisage any company anywhere doing so. Surely handwritten bills (written with quills) went out with Charles Dickens?

In any event, a copy bill is printed off a computer with a single mouse click. Why would anyone sit down and write out a bill when he/she can just print it off? It doesn't make sense.

Letters/bills are always typed. The only time someone might use handwriting in correspondence is if attaching a small covering note to a document. I have often received such handwritten covering notes from organisations and I don't think there is anything wrong with them provided they are legible. I don't expect anyone to type the words "Mr Fnergg, as discussed, copy invoice attached" or somesuch.

It looks as if someone seriously fouled up here. I would suggest you send a photocopy of the bill to:

The Manager
    ESB Customer Supply
    National Customer Contact Centre
    Wilton
    Cork

Regards,

Fnergg

That's incredible!

I know for a fact that it is not ESB practice to send out handwritten bills. I cannot envisage any company anywhere doing so. Surely handwritten bills (written with quills) went out with Charles Dickens?

In any event, a copy bill is printed off a computer with a single mouse click. Why would anyone sit down and write out a bill when he/she can just print it off? It doesn't make sense.

Letters/bills are always typed. The only time someone might use handwriting in correspondence is if attaching a small covering note to a document. I have often received such handwritten covering notes from organisations and I don't think there is anything wrong with them provided they are legible. I don't expect anyone to type the words "Mr Fnergg, as discussed, copy invoice attached" or somesuch.

It looks as if someone seriously fouled up here. I would suggest you send a photocopy of the bill to:

The Manager
    ESB Customer Supply
    National Customer Contact Centre
    Wilton
    Cork

Regards,

Fnergg

Well,

To be honest, it's the solicitors letter that annoyed me!

I don't mind the handwritten bill.. its curiously quaint.. but I wouldn't complain about it.

• Advertisement

Well,

To be honest, it's the solicitors letter that annoyed me!

I don't mind the handwritten bill.. its curiously quaint.. but I wouldn't complain about it.

I don't blame you for being annoyed by the solicitors letter. It seems very sharp practice to send such a letter to a former customer so soon after closing your account on transferring to a new supplier. I think ESB needs to quickly reconsider its policy in that regard.

I still can't get over the handwritten bill though. Why would anyone do it? It doesn't make any kind of sense which is why I'm sure ESB would love to hear the details.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I still can't get over the handwritten bill though. Why would anyone do it? It doesn't make any kind of sense which is why I'm sure ESB would love to hear the details.
    ESB don't print their bills on little Deskjets. They use serious enterprise evel equipment.

It probably makes a lot more sense hand-writing a special bill like this than preparing and scheduling a one-off job on a printer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sean_K wrote: »
    ESB don't print their bills on little Deskjets. They use serious enterprise evel equipment.

It probably makes a lot more sense hand-writing a special bill like this than preparing and scheduling a one-off job on a printer.
    the bills are printed off in a que system so it is easy to print off new or duplicate bills but they may only print on a certain day to coincide with billing cycles etc

I am very reliably informed that copy bills are easily and quickly printed off at any time. Customers ask for copy bills on a regular basis.

My friends in the ESB are as curious to see this handwritten bill as the rest of us. They are mystified as to why anyone would go to the trouble of handwriting a bill.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oranjeboom

I'm just reading all the posts and threads about the ESB. All the posts seem to be negative in nature. Its a pity really cos most of the people I know (and me) who have dealt with the ESB for various reasons have always said they were very easy to deal with and very helpful. I ujnderstand people can get pished off about things going wrong and getting letters and stuff but are they really that bad?

As regards the handwritten bill, a mate of mine works on the phones in the ESB so I asked her about handwritten bills she said it takes literally two seconds to print a bill and it can be done at any time for anyone and in fact several bills can be sent out at anyone's request. She said she would love to know (and so would her boss) who wrote the handwritten bill.

oranjeboom wrote: »
    I'm just reading all the posts and threads about the ESB. All the posts seem to be negative in nature. Its a pity really cos most of the people I know (and me) who have dealt with the ESB for various reasons have always said they were very easy to deal with and very helpful. I ujnderstand people can get pished off about things going wrong and getting letters and stuff but are they really that bad?

Yes.. Yes it is bad.

Getting a threatning letter instead of a bill is really quite bad, and annoying, and wrong.
    As regards the handwritten bill, a mate of mine works on the phones in the ESB so I asked her about handwritten bills she said it takes literally two seconds to print a bill and it can be done at any time for anyone and in fact several bills can be sent out at anyone's request. She said she would love to know (and so would her boss) who wrote the handwritten bill.

I've no idea who wrote it.. and really, handwritten or otherwise, had they had sent this originally I wouldn't have been so annoyed with them.
    But, they didn't, they instead sent an aggressive solicitors letter!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

My move went fine.

I recently got my first bill (for 2 1/2 months).

No problems for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Shelflife wrote: »
    everytime you are in the post office knock €2 or €3 off the biil, the PO will love the extra business, and it will piss off ESB no end to have to process all the payments.

hardly, the esb has got computers, and has been preparing for the big switch for years, that letter is a bit gay though, probably give ya an apology if you looked for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Off topic I know, but an interesting and funny anecdote.

When my dad moved to Ireland years ago he started a new account with the ESB. They were just switching over to the new computerized system. One day he got a bill for £0 0 pence. He ignored it as you would. A few weeks later he received a reminder for £0.0p, which he ignored aswell. About three weeks later he received another more threatening letter and bill for £0.0p. So he sent off a cheque for £0.0p to the ESB.

A few weeks later he got a typed letter from the ESB thanking him for the payment, and apologising for the various letters he had received. They had discovered the issue when the computer had found that the amount had been paid by him, and then crashed when it tried to deposit £0.0p into the ESB's bank account. The banks computer had not been happy either.

Ever since that experience he refuses to use direct debit on any of his accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oranjeboom

Yes.. Yes it is bad.

Getting a threatning letter instead of a bill is really quite bad, and annoying, and wrong.

I've no idea who wrote it.. and really, handwritten or otherwise, had they had sent this originally I wouldn't have been so annoyed with them.

Yes yes I can see your point.

• Advertisement

What happens when a customer switches from ESB to another supplier is that the other supplier instructs the Meter Registration System Operator (MRSO) - if you like, the middleman in the whole switching process - that the customer has moved to them.

The MRSO advises ESB accordingly and also indicates the meter reading and date to be used to close the account.

The ESB then closes the account and a final bill is issued to the customer.

All this is automatic and human intervention is required only where there might be an issue with an incorrect meter reading or somesuch. Thousands of customers have switched since Bord Gais went to market in early February. Thousands of final bills have of course issued to all these customers.

I have absolutely no doubt that a final bill did issue to the OP. Neither though do I doubt his/her word that it was not received. I cannot imagine it not issuing from the ESB because the process is so precise and straightforward. What may well have happened is that An Post screwed up in not delivering it. The very fact that ESB were able to issue a copy of the final bill - handwritten as it may have been - shows that there was an original, as of course there had to be. If ESB were in the habit of not issuing final bills to people and sending them solicitors letters instead I think we would have heard a lot more about it in these forums.

When a bill issues a computerised follow up process kicks in if payment is not received within a certain time and this follow up process includes the issue of a solicitors letter. I think the ESB were at fault in designing their system to trigger such a letter so soon in the process to a customer who had merely switched supplier. It was insensitive and that process needs to be changed.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Seems to me someone had to write out a final bill because a computerised one does not and never did exist. If it did why not just print it out.

ESB going for the personal touch, I don't think so. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Seems to me someone had to write out a final bill because a computerised one does not and never did exist. If it did why not just print it out.

ESB going for the personal touch, I don't think so. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The switching process to a new supplier automatically closes the account with the old supplier and a final bill automatically issues. The ESB are adamant that a final bill did issue in this instance but clearly the OP did not receive it which is why the likeliest explanation is non-delievery by An Post.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

Hey,
    We got one of these "solicitors letters" from ESB too and if im right in thinking i think OP is from the same area as myself (if i remember from previous posts).
    Partner phoned up on this to the esb as we never got a final bill, reminder etc and to say that the persons mannor over the phone was far from polite.
    I defo wouldnt return to esb

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

It sounds like it could be a scam - is the solicitor asking for you to forward the payment directly to them? It would be the easiest thing in the world to get/forge some headed ESB paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭stezie

I also got one of these letters. its ridiculous as i have forgotten to pay the bill before and got a reminder letter from ESB. These bully tactics don't wash with me and hell will be well frozen over before i consider switching back.

Its its a disgrace that a solicitor would send a letter without a contact phone number or email address and with a stamped signature. all solicitors i know sign the letters personally. think its for legal reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cowenslovechild

Yes.. Yes it is bad.

You should contact the Commission for Energy Regulation.They'd be all over the ESB in relation to a case like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jhart

have not switched as of yet but am in the process of and agree that the level of customer care in ESB has gone really really downhill for the past year.

I am still waiting on an explanation why I am being charged 500 Euro for electricty with ESB in a house no one lived in, where I paid the monthly supply fees in full and where no electrical equipment was plugged in, but was told I could only find out if I paid them 80 Euro for an engineer...

Shame really, they used to be pretty good.

jhart wrote: »
    ...I am still waiting on an explanation why I am being charged 500 Euro for electricty with ESB in a house no one lived in, where I paid the monthly supply fees in full and where no electrical equipment was plugged in, but was told I could only find out if I paid them 80 Euro for an engineer...

Was the meter reading on which the charge was based an actual one as opposed to an estimate? Did you check the reading yourself to confirm its accuracy?

If so, the meter has recorded the usage correctly and it´s up to you to account for how the electricity was used.

When you say the monthly supply fees were paid in full I take it you mean you were paying the two-monthly bills. Were they based on estimated readings? If so, the large bill you got was based on an accumulated usage covering the period the bills were estimated.

You state that nothing was plugged in. Well, something clocked up the usage. It may well be that you forgot to plug some appliance out or there may have been a fault in the installation. Turn off all appliances and check the meter. Is the dial still revolving after a few minutes? If so, it definitely is a fault in your installation and you will have to hire an electrician to get to the root of the problem.

No supplier - ESB, Bord Gais or Airtricity - can explain to a cusotmer exactly how his/her electricity was used. Their job is to bill the customer for the units recorded on the meter. Expecting otherwise is like bringing your car to a garage and demanding details of the individual journeys that made up the total mileage on the mileometer.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

It sounds like it could be a scam - is the solicitor asking for you to forward the payment directly to them? It would be the easiest thing in the world to get/forge some headed ESB paper.

Why would a fully legit Solicitor be involved in a scam?

Advertisement