Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make the 'Big Switch' from ESB, They sent their solicitors out!

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

We got one of those solicitors letters too - our final bill came and I hadn't paid it after 3 weeks and we got a solicitors letter on 4th week.
    They're quick off the mark now to get the solicitor on to us once we switched over to Bord Gais.

Paid it during week so case closed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

I understand from my friends in the ESB that a system fix has been put in place to stop the issue of such letters. This is a positive development. It was clearly crazy to be sending solicitors letters to customers who had merely changed supplier and who might want to return to ESB again some time in the future.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

this happened to me

got the snotty letter, phoned up ESB, told them i hadnt received a final bill and that i normally pay by direct debit. i was told they had cancelled my DD and that he could take my payment over the phone with a laser card

i said i was not paying for anything until i received my final bill and then i would pay for it in the post office where i would have a record of the payment.

i got a few more threatening letters before i received my bill, which wasnt even a proper bill

all sorted now though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

ESB are shooting themselves in the foot with all these letters. If their prices do match eventually the likes of Airtricity and Bord Gais then people will remember those letters and choose not to switch back based on their customer service experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

They are blaming the computer i gather...

ESB apologises for solicitors' letters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭businessboy

hi there.

i had a similar problem with esb. the solicitor's letter arrived and ok fair enough the bill was outstanding but it really didnt worry me as if you look at the text on the solicitor's letter compared to any correspondance you have received from esb youll notice that they are identical.

Like someone just changed the headed paper in the printer from ESB to some solicitors headed paper. Its just a scare tactic that ESB use i think to make people pay up faster, i doubt the solicitor has any involvement with the letter being sent out, rather a payout for the use of their letter heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

i changed 3 weeks ago and got a final bill and a letter thanking me
    for the business and to contact them if i needed them in the future,

i wouldn't mind but i never paid them on time...NEVER :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mr.888

So,
    Following advice from Lucy Kennedy, I decided to make 'the big switch' from ESB to Bord Gais.
    A Saving is a saving afterall!
    However, having made this switch, and receiving the confirmation documentation, I expected to recieve a final ESB bill.
    I did not.
    Instead, I got a rather snotty letter from ESB's solicitors.

Either bills have changed lately, or ESB have become complete scumbags.

(Bold and typos are theres, not mine!)

I got the exact same, they wrote back with an apology letter to me that it was a mistake on their part haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 stoblerone

If I get that letter I will either

1) write back and tell them to "Feck Off"

2) Just ignore it until they send it by registered post and then I will acknowledge it and pay them the outstanding, in dribs and drabs

3) remind the feckers that I might want to return tho them some day and that they should grow-the-feck-up and stop using bully-boy tactics:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

ronaneire wrote: »
    Why would a fully legit Solicitor be involved in a scam?

Who says they are fully legit or even a solicitor or who they say they are?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 stoblerone

They are blaming the computer i gather...

ESB apologises for solicitors' letters

I think the ESB have apologised for the issue of those letters. Does this mean that it is the end of the matter??????

It looks from the item on the rte website that these thyes of letters are sent as a last resort; if the bills are way overdue :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Reading all these threads, scary as hell lol.

Board gias rep came to my door and after 'lenthy' conversations I nearly signed. Decided to sleep on it for two days and look on these boards:eek:.

My understanding is that in 12months time all supply will be deregulated and all supplyers will be able to set thier own price (regulater sets it at the moment). I've decided to wait the 12 months and see who has the cheapest and what sort of contracts (there will be contracts like broad band) they have and then make ...'The Big Switch' lol.
    would hate the hassle of changing now and then go back to esb later if they're 10% cheaper.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭rameire

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Reading all these threads, scary as hell lol.

Board gias rep came to my door and after 'lenthy' conversations I nearly signed. Decided to sleep on it for two days and look on these boards:eek:.

My understanding is that in 12months time all supply will be deregulated and all supplyers will be able to set thier own price (regulater sets it at the moment). I've decided to wait the 12 months and see who has the cheapest and what sort of contracts (there will be contracts like broad band) they have and then make ...'The Big Switch' lol.
    would hate the hassle of changing now and then go back to esb later if they're 10% cheaper.:pac:

please tell me you are not serious.
    if you change, next month you can change back or to another provider.
    you are not locked into a contract.
    your wasting your own money by not changing.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

DEADLY SERIOUS...
    Do you know how many people have problems leaving service provers (smart telecom, eircom, '3' broadband to name but a few) even after the initial contracts have expired, just take a look around boards.ie. I do not expect energy companies to be any different!. Yep, wait 12 months then hopefully do it once when the new market settles down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

DEADLY SERIOUS...
    Do you know how many people have problems leaving service provers (smart telecom, eircom, '3' broadband to name but a few) even after the initial contracts have expired, just take a look around boards.ie. I do not expect energy companies to be any different!. Yep, wait 12 months then hopefully do it once when the new market settles down a bit.

I am taking time out of my own life to reply to the stupidy of that post.

Are you not aware that after the 12 months you can change ?

YOU CAN SAVE MONEY FOR 12 MONTHS THEN MOVE BACK

.... im not gonna waste my time teaching you

i've gotten to the point where if you don't know you don't deserve to know status.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

SHOCKING

robbie_998 wrote: »
    I am taking time out of my own life to reply to the stupidy of that post.

Are you not aware that after the 12 months you can change ?

YOU CAN SAVE MONEY FOR 12 MONTHS THEN MOVE BACK

.... im not gonna waste my time teaching you

i've gotten to the point where if you don't know you don't deserve to know status.

Robbie 998, it seems to me that you have not fully understood the content of my last post. I have re-read it myself just to be sure that it conveys the information that I intended to. It does.

And regarding your remark I don't believe that it is right at all for anyone to refer to any others post as 'stupid' when all we are trying to do here is to help and assist others in various different ways depending on the topic. Incidently regarding my last post all I was merely trying to say was that there are many pitfalls in relation to the various service providers when it comes to leaving them or changing them, not in all cases Robbie, but some. As I said just look around boards or I can send pages of documents of my own experience when trying to leave eircom after more than 3 years service.

Hoping we have some clarity and understanding now.

Advertisement