Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a proper router?

Options
  • 12-05-2009 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my router for something like Linksys WRT54g or Asus wl-500 or other flashable to dd-wrt. Has to be full version - 32mb RAM, 8mb flash etc.

I checked ebay, but I'd prefer something local.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Look into the WRT54GL if your planning on flashing it with DD-WRT.

Peats should have then instock or are able to order then in.
    docentore wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my router for something like Linksys WRT54g or Asus wl-500 or other flashable to dd-wrt. Has to be full version - 32mb RAM, 8mb flash etc.

I checked ebay, but I'd prefer something local.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I've checked komplet and dabs and they have them, but GL version has half of ram and flash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

You can get the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with DD-WRT already flashed, dabs.ie or broadbandbuyer.co.uk have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

check out www.fleskit.ie its a small irish based company with over 33,000 products online, worth a look before you go giving your money to the companies abroad..

thanks lads, I found something through my mate company's contacts. I will hold off for few weeks, maybe I'll find something cheaper.

I think I will go with Asus WL-500w as it has almost the same hardware as legendary wrt54gs + plus 4 usb ports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The WRT54gl with its small amount of RAM is just fine as a router, no need for the extra RAM.
    Can WRT make used of those USB ports? Printer sharing and USB storage? Yea get the same features with a Asus WL-520GU. Will yea get to use the 'N' capability, does the WRT firmware support it?

thanks kerbdog for your opinion. Let me explain my reasoning:
    1. More ram means... more ram. To have more ram is better than to have less. I'm thinking about future, when maybe I will create a network of i.e 15 pc or more, so 32mb of ram would be handy.
    2. wl-500w is more stable according to most forums, less brickable. The wifi crd is also in mini-pci slot so can be changed any time for something better. I don't remember but one of the distros supports N.

I think I will hold off with buying (problems with cashflow :/), but as for the moment I'm sticking to Asus wl-500w

Advertisement