Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forty Foot - Waves

• 12-05-2009 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Went today to have a look at the waves at Forty Foot.

And as I couldn't decide which one I want to post in my favourite thread :rolleyes: (Random, for those who didn't know) I thought, maybe it's just time to post my first own here.

C&C is welcome but bear in mind it's just a P&S I'm using. And if you like to see more just klick on them.

The audience has arrived:

3525915620_a0dca17011.jpg

And now the waves...
    3525919620_be7da9e346.jpg
    3525924060_c83a5e30d4.jpg

3525120427_18df138744.jpg

3525931314_28168052e4.jpg

3525938390_37719e892a.jpg

P.S. No pp done bar cropping

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

And the surfers all arrive to check out the 40ft wave! :p

I think they lack a focal point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The 40ft is always brilliant for that. Love the shots. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

The last one is amazing! The only problem is that while anyone who knows the Forty Foot will realise how enormous the splash is (looks 10-12 meters high to me judging by the rock to the right), it's not immediately obvious. Do you have any from that angle with a person in it to give a sense of scale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Thanks for your replies!
    I somehow thought the waves are focal point enough. But I'll try to improve that next time. Not sure yet how to do that but I'll see.

Could well be that I just know the place too well. Not many people went close to the waves and when some guys were on the rock near the steps there were no waves.

Maybe these two give an better idea of the height due to the shelter and the sign.

3525917922_de22efbc6f.jpg

3525939510_2ab3cf1c97.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the second one is great - one thing you have to be carefull about is getting salt water on camera --
    anyway I plan jumping in tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Misleading title; though, i suppose, technically correct. Fair play to ya, i say. ;)
    As for the photos; i'd agree, as a previous poster stated, that they, for the most part, lack a focal point.
    The best ones, in my opinion, are the last of each post.
    Also, 'togs must be worn'.:D

I think I was careful enough. Tonight on my walk in Dublin Mountains it still worked.
    Fingers crossed for your swim tomorrow. Today they were obviously all on the other side. But at the moment there is hardly any wind here.

ascanbe wrote: »
    Misleading title

It seems I kinda skipped that not everyone knows the place.:o Lesson learnt re title and proportion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I agree with Gary82- the first bunch catch waves but the photos don't really do anything for me. The 2nd one from the second lot is very nice- you have composition and scale in it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I like the 5. photo in your first post. A few nice photo's there, keep up the good work. What kinda of shutter speed etc. did you use for them?

• Advertisement

Thanks for your replies and tips. I realised again how easy it is to get carried away by your own pictures and memories and for others they mean nothing as they weren't there. And others work just on themself. I have a much better idea now what to look out for. Thanks again.
    What kinda of shutter speed etc. did you use for them?
    As it's just a P&S I have (never so far had a SLR) you got me there :o. But as per flickr for the one you like the camera in landscape mode used an exposure of 1/1300 and f/4.2 if that's of any help?

Advertisement