Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookquiz

Options
  • 12-05-2009 6:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Simple enough concept really. Ask a question related to any author/book and see if you can answer it...

I'll start. Who first published Fahrenheit 451?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

You mean the author or the publisher?

Answer: Author --> Ray Bradbury.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

No the publisher. If I was asking the name of the author I would have asked for the name of the author :confused:

Anyway, it was first published by Hugh Hefner AKA, Playboy man. Not really that surprising when you think about it! Someone else set the ball rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Denerick wrote: »
    No the publisher. If I was asking the name of the author I would have asked for the name of the author :confused:

Anyway, it was first published by Hugh Hefner AKA, Playboy man. Not really that surprising when you think about it! Someone else set the ball rolling.

Shouldn't you just confirm the question and wait until someone gets it right?

Name the author, recently in the news, who was denounced from the altar by her parish priest when her first book was published and the same priest invited everyone to bring their copies to the churchyard for a public burning?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Locamon wrote: »
    Shouldn't you just confirm the question and wait until someone gets it right?

Name the author, recently in the news, who was denounced from the altar by her parish priest when her first book was published and the same priest invited everyone to bring their copies to the churchyard for a public burning?

J.K. Rowling? (Lazy guess)

Denerick wrote: »
    J.K. Rowling? (Lazy guess)

Unfortunately not....but if they were first published in the same decade as this author I bet they would have been burned in the churchyard too:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

That'd be Edna O'Brien, I'd say. Guessing the book was the Country Girls.

randomguy wrote: »
    That'd be Edna O'Brien, I'd say. Guessing the book was the Country Girls.

Correct...that would pass the next question to you:)

Name the writer who wrote a series of novels for teenagers about a young boy, whose mother is dead, who discovers that he has magical powers and goes off to boarding school to train to be a wizard. We then follow his career as he fights evil and the forces of darkness, grappling with issues of black magic and his own power, until after adventures and escapades he matures from being a callow kid to a wise wizard.
    One important clue - the writer is an american woman.

While people are trying to work out the one above (I think I picked a question that can't be googled anyway) here's another one - this time if you want to cheat you just might be able to google it.

What writer connects Anthony Blunt, Copernicus and Malcolm MacArthur?

Have I made them too hard? Maybe the following will help.

Clues:
    The female writer was born in California and lives in Portland Oregon - the main character in the trilogy I was referring to has a few names, one of which is sparrowhawk.

The second writer is an Irish male, and as well as novels narrated by fictionalised characters based on Anthony Blunt (one of the Cambridge spies) and Malcolm MacArthur (the GUBU murderer), he has written novels about some famous renaissance physicists as well as a novella about a letter to the inventor of the 3 laws of motion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

The second one is John Banville anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Clues:
    The female writer was born in California and lives in Portland Oregon - the main character in the trilogy I was referring to has a few names, one of which is sparrowhawk.

It's Ursula LeGuin I do believe, with the Earthsea Trilogy (which now has 5 books) - these were my favourite books as a kid. Kudos on the Harry Potter misdirection:p

Ares wrote: »
    The second one is John Banville anyway.

Correct
    It's Ursula LeGuin I do believe, with the Earthsea Trilogy (which now has 5 books) - these were my favourite books as a kid. Kudos on the Harry Potter misdirection:p

And correct. I read the original 3 as a kid and loved them. Reread the first one recently and it wasn't bad at all.

To keep things moving, how about if each of ye throw a question in, so that there are 2 questions on the go at once?

Hmm, it's hard to know whether this is easily guessed or not...

In which novel does Becky woo Rawden in search of riches?

EDIT: No joy with this yet, so I'm adding:

The novel has another prominent set of lovers; Amelia and Georga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Vanity Fair?

Lizzykins wrote: »
    Vanity Fair?

Correct! Your turn

Who was Jane Eyre's aunt who sent her to the awful bording school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Aunt Reed?

Right! Your turn now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Ok, after reading the best opening lines thread...

"All children, except one, grow up" is the opening line from which famous book?

Try not google.

• Advertisement

gogo wrote: »
    "All children, except one, grow up" is the opening line from which famous book?

Peter Pan
    gogo wrote: »
    Try not google.

And I promise I didn't use google at all until I'd got it. Had been thinking Huckleberry Finn, then Dracula, then something like Virgin Suicides, and it hit me (I watched Finding Neverland again recently). Only googled "peter pan" to see if I was right.

Name the writer associated with each of the following fictional places:
    (11 writers in total)

Wessex
    Castle Rock
    Haddam, New Jersey
    Deptford
    Monument (clue: it represents Waterford)
    Barchester in Barsetshire
    Oceania
    Macondo
    Rummidge
    Ballybeg
    Coketown

Name the writer associated with each of the following fictional places:
    (11 writers in total)

Wessex
    Castle Rock
    Haddam, New Jersey
    Deptford
    Monument (clue: it represents Waterford)
    Barchester in Barsetshire
    Oceania
    Macondo
    Rummidge
    Ballybeg
    Coketown

I was really proud of this question, but it looks like it wasn't as interesting as I thought. And I thought people would get the first 2 straight away.
    No takers for any of them??? Anyone... anyone... anyone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I was really proud of this question, but it looks like it wasn't as interesting as I thought. And I thought people would get the first 2 straight away.
    No takers for any of them??? Anyone... anyone... anyone
    It's a very interesting question - but I'm damned if I know the answers.
    Sorry.:o

EDIT: Just used the interweb to help me and it seems I should have known a few of these.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Ok then, I'll give a clue of a character or two who lived in or visited each place as well

Wessex -
    Jude Fawley (yeah, might be a bit obscure)
    Castle Rock -
    Gordie La Chance, Leland Gaunt, Cujo the dog
    Haddam, New Jersey -
    Frank Bascombe
    Deptford -
    Dunstan Ramsay, Boy Staunton
    Monument (clue: it represents Waterford) -
    Charles Conduit, Jack Santry
    Barchester in Barsetshire -
    Dr. Thorne
    Oceania -
    Winston Smith
    Macondo -
    Jose Arcadia Buendia, Remedios
    Rummidge -
    Phillip Swallow, Vic Wilcox and Robyn Penrose
    Ballybeg -
    Gar O'Donnell, the Mundy sisters, Yolland and Manus
    Coketown -
    Gradgrind and Bounderby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Charles Dickens! Coketown was the givaway.

Ok name the author who killed himself, whos father killed himself, whos brother killed himself , whos sister killed herself and whos granddaughter killed herself.

Pretty gruesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I saw Deptford and immediately thought Michelle Magorian - and what is possibly my favourite children's book ever. I'm a bit out of my depth here I think!

turgon wrote: »
    Charles Dickens! Coketown was the givaway

It's 11 different (and unconnected) writers I was looking for. You're right on Coketown, though - Hard Times.
    turgon wrote: »
    Ok name the author who killed himself, whos father killed himself, whos brother killed himself , whos sister killed herself and whos granddaughter killed herself.

Pretty gruesome!

I know this one, but I seem to be hogging this thread, so I am not saying anything. Funnily enough, my flickr actually has a photo or two of a former residence of his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pica

Ernest Hemingway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

pica wrote: »
    Ernest Hemingway?

Yep!

I just assumed, having only read two dickens' books, that they were all places in his other texts.

Advertisement