Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily cravings after months off the fags.

Options
  • 12-05-2009 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Just throwing this out for ideas and suggestions and help !After using the Allen Carr method and managing to stop my daily fix I now have unreal cravings on a daily basis.I find myself following behind people on the street to take in the smell from their fags.I am afraid I cant stay off them.Unfortunately a couple of friends recently began smoking again ,one after 2 years and the other after exactly three years.He said not one day went by where he did not crave and think about them.

I stopped in the middle of 2008 and did the Nicorette gum for a while.I was always a 12 to 14 a day person.Never went up or down as such even with a drink.I tried before to stop but always failed because serious family health issues came up and I was under enormous stress.Now I am ok and dont have stress(apart from the usual) and I am seriously depressed thinking about smoking.I just want to start again.I have not though - so far.

I find myself going into Boots to see if they have the electronic cigarette.Where can I get one?I picked up the gum and very nearly bought it.

Not helped I suppose by my brother in law who is back to smoking 8 a day and saying "Once a smoker,always a smoker!!""

Anyone any advice please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

bluecell99 wrote: »
    I stopped in the middle of 2008 and did the Nicorette gum for a while?

are you off them months ?
    Mid 2008 ?
    How long exactly ?

if you are really nicotine free for months, that is better than very good and safe to say that
    your cravings are only mental anguish in which case
    you should be celebrating, not beating yourself up !

If you are pining for something that you don't actually need any more,
    not only is this bizaare but the good news is its easily fixed.
    You now need to let your mind catch up with reality.
    You have already quit.
    There's no physical withdrawal at play.
    You're way past that point (which was last summer !)

As for the prop, you don't need the electric cigarette and your brother in law is talking rubbish. Try a lollipop or a pen if you want to have some hand to mouth association but you actually dont need that either.

Your need not fear that this craving will go on forever.
    There is no basis for this logic.
    Thats the problem with addiction. Its a subtle lurking darkness.
    You are your own worst enemy here.
    The cigarette doesn't have a brain.
    Banish these thoughts by being happy that you quit.
    Snap out of it and dare I say stop feeling sorry for yourself or longing for poison.

Simple fact : You are quit already.

Ignore the flawed wisdom of the doubters and the foolish thoughts you yourself perpetuate.
    Plenty of budding quitters would love to be where you are at.
    Get on with living.

You have much to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭bluecell99

Ok thanks.I quit on June 15,2008.To be honest every day since has been a massive struggle.I miss them so much - or at least I think I do.I dont know whats brought it on recently.I am desperate to taste them again.I have spent hours researching the net for help and facts but all it comes down to is the cravings may never,ever go.I cant bear to think of never being able to smoke again.It is even more strange considering I was never the worls heaviest smoker and thank god have no health problems as a result,but my throat was beginning to act up and my grandfather died from throat cancer at 64.

I also got angry at a couple of recent premature deaths of people I know who never smoked and I wondered what the hell was the point in stopping.

I am just finding it hard to take it day by day knowing that some folk eventually succumb and go back on them harder than ever.

My cravings can last almost an hour.Gum and water and walking are not helping me.I think about them morning,noon and night.They are the first thought in the morning and last at night.Its unbelieveable.

Maybe I was too long on them.I dont know where to turn and I know I would despise myself If I start again.But right now its winning the mind game.Am usually a strong ,opinionated type who can see the wood from the trees and will wade in to help anyone out and have great family anfd friends but this is consuming my thinking now so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nomore

Hey there,

Just stop a minute and think - you have sucessfully quit an addiction and improved your health 100% - your addiction to nicotine has ended, you now have to get it together on the whole mental assocation of smoking. I am no expert but have stopped 9 weeks ago cold turkey after smoking 25 cigarettes at day for over 22 years. I loved my cigarrettes in every way but I didn't like what they may do my health as I got older. I also have had friends\family member who have passed on through illness, suddendly, through suicide. some of these were non smokers too. Life is life and it is hard. Whether you smoke or not won't make these things easier to deal with. I am not stronger or better or finding it easier than anyone else.

it is not for me to go on but you posted here so maybe could do with some support. Don't undo all those months of healthy breaths for the sake of a dirty fag, it will bring you back down to a level where you don't want to be. Think of having to go through the physical withdrawal of the first few days all over again - jee - look at how far you have come, it's brilliant.

I totally understand how you feel, I read your post and yes, that is me too though you can't think of forever, you have to take it one day at a time. Think of all the benefits of not smoking and then think of what you will gain by going back to smoking - absolutely nothing at all. Have a good read of www.whyquit.com it has helped me during tough times. Yes some people sucumb and go back to smoking but thousands of people have stopped and have stayed stopped.

Nobody would smoke if it were easy to stop but there are people on forums such as this that can offer support.

Keep posting here and don't give in, not now.

I'm off them a year. Yes I still get occasional cravings - usually from boredom - not while out drinking etc. However - I can quickly dismiss them because they are only ~20% of the intensity of the cravings that I had whilst smoking and trying to give up. So I think to myself - yep I can have a cig and go back to cravings that are way stronger and way harder to not cave into... so I never have that cig 'cos of the hassle I'd have again after giving in - just my way of dealing with it - might work for you.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭bluecell99

Just an update on my situation.The cravings have not gone unfortunately but I did not buy cigarettes or smoke.I had a couple of drinks with a friend ( a complete non-smoker) and he could see my problem.So I went across the road and bought the nicorette inhaler.I am hoping and praying that I can throw it away in a couple of days.I just cant explain it.All the posts have been helpful,really got me thinking so I have not smoked.It is so ridiculous as was off them almost a year.

I teased it out with people in work as well ,some of whom stopped as long ago as thirteen years and they all said that the cravings can come at any time but should not be really intense.One woman of 64 gave them up 32 years ago and still goes to the smoking area in the pub occasionally to get the smell of them!!

Its an incredible addiction.I admire anyone who has stopped.I was so pleased with myself after the first week,then the first month.I could not beieve it.Ex smoker s all seemed to agree that after two to four weeks it should be plain sailing - and it was ,up till very recently.Now a voice keeps saying to me to smoke!!But I have resisted and I just dont know how i have.

Anyway thirteen euro gone today on the inhaler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

So I went across the road and bought the nicorette inhaler.

It is so ridiculous as was off them almost a year.

Buying an inhaler is ridiculous as you say.

The inhaler or gum or any nicotine substitute just a means of administering nicotine back into your system which is exactly what a cigarette does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jeremiah c

part of your addiction to nicotine is mental obsession, constantly thinking about what your trying to avoid. i know cause i ve been there. some seem to quit on will power or substitutes. others need help in the form of constant contact with other people like you. sounds like a smokers anonymous group is what you need. join up if theres one in your area. if not set one up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Try reading the Allen Carr book again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I teased it out with people in work as well ,some of whom stopped as long ago as thirteen years and they all said that the cravings can come at any time but should not be really intense.One woman of 64 gave them up 32 years ago and still goes to the smoking area in the pub occasionally to get the smell of them!!.

I call bullsh!t.
    I quit last Easter, about 8 weeks ago. Yesterday I didn't even think of a fag. Therefore I find it difficult to believe you can still think of smoking every single day.

One thing is quite clear from your above comments, you are still very much mentally addicted.
    As are the people you have talked to about this.

I say that because you are saying you have cravings. You do not.
    After the first few weeks, there are no more physical cravings.
    There are only mental ones.
    You have physically quit. Your body no longer has nicotine in it, so you most definitely haven't mentally quit.

There have been times when I've been having a drink that I've thought of a fag.
    I have then said to myself, the nicotine has left your body, therefore this is just a harking back to when you would always smoke with drink. You don't do that anymore, so forget about it. This works perfectly well and I forget about it almost instantly.
    Considering I am only off them 8 weeks, I'm very happy with my progress.
    I expect in another few months that thought will no longer cross my mind.
    You see, I have mentally quit smoking, as far as I'm concerned that part of my life is over and I'm pleased.
    If I were to go back smoking at this stage, I'd loose respect for myself.
    Therefore, it won't happen.

You would appear to not have that thought process/mental conversation with yourself. At least, not to the stage where you actually believe it 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭fiveone

Stop taking any and all nicotine supplements and wait another month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement