Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's an affordable gym in KK?

Options
  • 12-05-2009 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi there,

I'm moving to KK and I'm wondering what's the gym set up like. I'm currently in a community gym in Monkstown, Dublin, pay-as-you-go at €4 a pop (student rate). It's a lovely place, nothing fancy at all but plenty of space. I do weights and a some rowing and cycling.

I remember about 5 years ago shopping around the gyms in KK and the prices were ferocious, and that was before the joining fees! Have things gotten any better?

I know the Watershed is pay as you go, but having been there twice, I'm not to fond of it, plus at €9 and no student rate it's more than twice as expensive than in Dublin.

I'll be in KK for a few months so I don't want to sign a contract.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Fraid not mate, 9e is about the best your going to get, some places charge 22 e for a day pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

If you like hearing Casual Modern Generic Lounge Grooves Vol 1 -27 while you sit in the jacuzzi or sauna then the Newpark might be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mezzdon

The new gym The Watershed is brill and amazing value. It's 250 a year which works out at €4.80 a week :eek: and that gives you full use of pool, gym,sauna, steam room, track and everything in the place at any time! It's the best of the best in there and the trainers will give you a programme to work off. Parking there too.. I joined last week after trying it out and I loved it. Would defo recomend it!!:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

i intend to shop around for gym membership in Sept/Oct, i managed to wriggle a €300 six-month all in (no join up fee) membership in Springhill before. it wasn't advertised, i haggled for it.
    i believe most of the leisure centers have dropped the sign up fee, i don't know about Hotel Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 warrenstown

Thanks for the replies, I must actually take a look at the other gyms instead of just enquiring about prices!
    mezzdon wrote: »
    The new gym The Watershed is brill and amazing value. It's 250 a year which works out at €4.80 a week
    Wow, €4.80 a week...I try to go three times a week so there's some savings to be had there.

Maybe I'll warm to the Watershed since it's the cheapest one around. I'm not into the sitting around in a sauna thing listening to lounge muzak, I'm desk or car bound for most of the day, I do enough sitting!
    I'll have a gawk at the others and do a bit of haggling when I get down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mezzdon

Thanks for the replies, I must actually take a look at the other gyms instead of just enquiring about prices!

Wow, €4.80 a week...I try to go three times a week so there's some savings to be had there.

Maybe I'll warm to the Watershed since it's the cheapest one around. I'm not into the sitting around in a sauna thing listening to lounge muzak, I'm desk or car bound for most of the day, I do enough sitting!
    I'll have a gawk at the others and do a bit of haggling when I get down.

Well I rang around and there was nothing in that price range. I'm not even a student but I couldn't afford to pay 500 which is normal price. I explained that and they were really nice and said I could have the student rate. I'd be the same I love to just workout and go for a long swim. Sauna and that lot not my thing. But at 4.80 a week it is so worth it!! With other gyms if you do haggle (like with any company) say to them you are going to join the Watershed but would rather give your business to them if they can match the price or near enough I'm sure they would (well if they have any sense they would)..

Advertisement