Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying rent and claiming back help

Options
  • 12-05-2009 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. i sent in my rent payments from last year I forgot to claim. I put in the amount and it said I was due 400 euro back. However, I got the new updated tax credits etc and p21 from last year but its not giving me the money back.

in the p21 it says panel 3 deductions flat rate exp and health costs last year but no rent off 400. is there a minumum amount u have to enter to get the 400 back? please help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

theres such thing as claiming rent you pay back??!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭labradoodlelady

Hey blahblah, I presume you are talking about rent tax credits.

First off it takes the Revenue up to about 6 weeks to sort claims. Check in with them if you applied correctly if it has been longer than this.

In order to get the money back you need to have paid tax in the relevant tax year, ie if you only worked for half the year or only part time chances are you probably didn't pay tax for the year.

Right its tax relief at 20% on rent up to a max of €2000 that can be claimed so the relief is therefore capped at a max of €400 (2008/9 specifics)

Remember that you can claim for up to 4 years previously, ie back to tak year 2005 so make sure that you have claimed for each year.

The claim for the current and subsequent tax years should appear in your tax credit and not as a refund the following year if you get me!

more info http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/tax_relief_for_tenants

oooh, so basically my part time work of which i paid prsi and feic all tax wouldnt be eligable ?

however i am now living with my boyf and have been working on and off, will be for duration June - end of August and possibly September, and therefore will be entitled to reclaim some back at end of year?!

No no, as long as you paid tax in the relevant tax yeat you're eligible. I just remember when I was part time I might have only earned 12k in the year and therefore wasn't taxed on it. Best bet is to hop down to the Revenue Office and ask them if you can't make it out from your P21.

Well, its 20% of rent paid allowable up to a max of rent paid of €2000. Changes slightly each tax year. So, theoretically if you pay over 2k rent this year and also pay over 400 tax this year then you can claim at the start of Jan and get your 400 back. If you claim for the 2009 tax year now, it'll be added to your weekly/monthly tax credit if you get me. Means if you're on a weekly salary you're paying about €7.50 (estimate) less tax a week.

You need your Landlords PPS No. If your bf owns the place then its his PPS No you need - he'll need to be registered with Revenue for tax purposes the Rent a Room Relief.

If ye are both renting then you need your Landlords PPS No. The form asks you to put in how many people are in the house and how much rent is being paid.

Seriously though, no harm in popping into the Revenue office now and hecking if you're due any tax back over the previous few years. If you can access it online it's easier! Just see if and how much tax you paid.

Off topic: You know you can use PRSI towards eye and dental check ups and you can claim tax relief on medical expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

hi labra i applied for 2006 and 2007 and got money back on that but not for rent. this was 2 weeks ago and i got the money last weekend

however for 2008 i applied for rent and over 900 worth of doctors fees etc but havent gotten a penny from that.

ive got nothing for 2008 i worked full time etc

they sent me p21 for 2008 but no mention of rent on this but the health expenses are but when i go online and check both are on the site.

• Advertisement

Right chances are they may not have processed the refund for 2008 yet or else it might be an admin error on their part.

Best bet is to ring the Revenue they have the No. on the website fir each region and ask them if your claim for relief on rent and medical expenses for 2008 has been processed and say that it seems to be showing up online but you haven't received the Cheque. Or, just call in to your local office and say same.

Sorry to any Revenue employees out there :o but it's the way it is with nearly all government departments you have to plague them til they get stuff sorted.

Seems like you should be entitled to relief since you paid tax in 2008 so more than likely processing delay.

never knew you could do that...hhhmmm must pop in next time im in town..

Advertisement