Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Janeane Garofalo vs Tea Baggers

Options
  • 12-05-2009 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

This woman is great.
    She hit the nail on the head and handled being ambushed very well.
    Love the false outrage of the Fox fools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU_mMwCNl0M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

bobbyjoe wrote: »

'Those ridiculous insane comments'.

Yup, fair and balanced (so long as you let us make up your mind for you).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

For those of us without Youtube access, can we get the Cliff's Notes version? Or some form of discussion which actually says something about the topic at hand?

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

guys, this is a discussion forum.

If you want to post random links without discussing what is posted, I'm going to close the threads..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,406 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

She said that the tea party supporters were racists. I cant say I buy that. On the other hand she says why werent they demonstrating during the Bush years if its about fiscal prudence. On the one hand they should have been but given that bailout etc only hit big time since Oct-Nov , it seems reasonable that the demonstrations are starting this year

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

silverharp wrote: »
    She said that the tea party supporters were racists. I cant say I buy that. On the other hand she says why werent they demonstrating during the Bush years if its about fiscal prudence. On the one hand they should have been but given that bailout etc only hit big time since Oct-Nov , it seems reasonable that the demonstrations are starting this year

The only post worth responding too. The massive spending wasn't as noticable until last Sept when Bush signed the TARP [aka bank bailouts] which 100% of the US Population disapproved of. Obama seizing the moment started to campaign as a moderate who would do like Reagan did in 1985 and scale back the size of the Govt. He ofcourse wins and soon after there talks of the Dems planning more bailouts [now called stimulus plans] ofcourse those were signed soon after Obama was sworn into office. The stimulus plans have doubled the amount of the US deficit before Obama took over. So in only a couple of months he's managed to double the deficit.

The tea party protests were Americans way of letting the Govt they didn't like any of this and the protests were very civil and there just as many anti-Rep signs as there were anti-Dem signs. Ofcourse the intellectually dishonest like Olbermann and Garofalo spun this as nothing more than pure resentment for Obama just because of his skin color [which is a blatant lie when you look at the poll number break downs] Putting this down to just racism is nothing than spin and an outright attempt to bully and intimidate the people into silence and compliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The only post worth responding too. The massive spending wasn't as noticable until last Sept when Bush signed the TARP [aka bank bailouts] which 100% of the US Population disapproved of. Obama seizing the moment started to campaign as a moderate who would do like Reagan did in 1985 and scale back the size of the Govt. He ofcourse wins and soon after there talks of the Dems planning more bailouts [now called stimulus plans] ofcourse those were signed soon after Obama was sworn into office. The stimulus plans have doubled the amount of the US deficit before Obama took over. So in only a couple of months he's managed to double the deficit.

The tea party protests were Americans way of letting the Govt they didn't like any of this and the protests were very civil and there just as many anti-Rep signs as there were anti-Dem signs. Ofcourse the intellectually dishonest like Olbermann and Garofalo spun this as nothing more than pure resentment for Obama just because of his skin color [which is a blatant lie when you look at the poll number break downs] Putting this down to just racism is nothing than spin and an outright attempt to bully and intimidate the people into silence and compliance.

Can't defend her racism alegation. The vast majority of the protests were not racially motivated.
    Although I would imagine that the genuine fiscally conservative, of the Ron Paul mould, were greatly outnumbered by the Anti-Obama/Democrat posse that i feel Fox News is aimed at.

The latter group weren't heard during the excessive expendature during the Bush years. High spending and low taxes is not fiscally prudent so to get so worked up about fiscal prudence now is a bit unusual. Its no surprise that people would question their motives.
    It looks like that they are social conservatives who never had a problem with big government with the republicans in charge, but when its the democrats, headed by Barack Obama of all people, out comes the placards and claims of socialsim.
    They remind me of the 'took our jobs' crowd from South Park.

Also, an executive and legislative branch controlled by the Democrats is always going to react to a financial crises with stimulus spending, so I don't know where you coming from with this... "He ofcourse wins and soon after there talks of the Dems planning more bailouts [now called stimulus plans] ofcourse those were signed soon after Obama was sworn into office" ...as if those that elected obama into office did not expect further spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Also, an executive and legislative branch controlled by the Democrats is always going to react to a financial crises with stimulus spending, so I don't know where you coming from with this... "He ofcourse wins and soon after there talks of the Dems planning more bailouts [now called stimulus plans] ofcourse those were signed soon after Obama was sworn into office" ...as if those that elected obama into office did not expect further spending.

Yes they are called the Tax and spend Liberals for a reason. Its well deserved. My point was that Obama practically ran as a conservative in the final stretch of the campaign. He said there would be no further bailouts and like Reagan he would shrink the Govt and they would be less intrusive. It worked and he was elected. So when the rumors of more started going on about further bailouts shortly after his victory people started worrying. Then when they were signed will all that pork and the deficit has double in barely two months and people have a right to be angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I can't stand her and using the word "racist" was a pretty extreme left usage of a loaded term. Now certainly some placards were indeed racist but from what I've seen that was a small minority and certainly not indicative of the general sentiment or thrust of the protests, which by the way I don't support. But Garofalo herself is a stain for liberals as she embodies a lot of the caricatures Conservatives like to paint of the left - overly emotional, loony, Hollywood's liberal agenda etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Yes they are called the Tax and spend Liberals for a reason.
    As opposed to the spend stupidly and tax less conservatives...

Like I said, so called fiscal conservatives had no problem with high spending as long as it was by republicans who didn't have the forsight to fund that spending by taxing high earners. Whats the point of getting worked up now when spending is actually needed?
    Its well deserved. My point was that Obama practically ran as a conservative in the final stretch of the campaign. He said there would be no further bailouts and like Reagan he would shrink the Govt and they would be less intrusive. It worked and he was elected. So when the rumors of more started going on about further bailouts shortly after his victory people started worrying. Then when they were signed will all that pork and the deficit has double in barely two months and people have a right to be angry.
    Under no instance during his campaign did I get the impression there wouldn't be an economic stimulus. And I don't think either candidate made such promises.
    I'm open to correction though. Give examples of the ways he might've given that impression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

bobbyjoe wrote: »
    This woman is great.
    She hit the nail on the head and handled being ambushed very well.
    Love the false outrage of the Fox fools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU_mMwCNl0M

Saying the tea baggers are raciest is not accurate.
    She did did have a good point as to why were more people not protesting during the Bush years of wasteful spending.

People do not tend to protest during booms.

It is not the first time that people who call for lower taxes and small government have been called racists.

A Nobel Low: Krugman Calls Small Government Philosophies Racist
    "Paul Krugman of the New York Times made a claim today that should have left many both outraged and confused. Through twists of logic that only a recent Nobel Prize winner could muster, Mr. Krugman tries to make us believe that advocates of small government are racist.

How does Krugman attempt to do this? First, he points to the G.O.P., as though Republicans are the vanguard of small government. He claims that, “Forty years ago the G.O.P. decided, in effect, to make itself the party of racial backlash.” "
    the rest of the article is on the web site below
    http://www.openmarket.org/2009/01/05/a-nobel-low-krugman-calls-small-government-philosophies-racist/

• Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yes they are called the Tax and spend Liberals for a reason. Its well deserved. My point was that Obama practically ran as a conservative in the final stretch of the campaign. He said there would be no further bailouts and like Reagan he would shrink the Govt and they would be less intrusive. It worked and he was elected. So when the rumors of more started going on about further bailouts shortly after his victory people started worrying. Then when they were signed will all that pork and the deficit has double in barely two months and people have a right to be angry.
    Bailouts.

Now I mean you can equate the Stimulus Plan to the Bailouts by means of the gross amounts of money spent (click if you like depression) Or you can differentiate them in the way that the bailouts were largely, if at all, regulated. Hence why we were all pretty outraged when all of these executives bailed themselves out, and not their companies. Bush's bailout plan was a colossal embarrassment.

I'm terrified at the amount of money being spent too, but I don't think you can use it to call him a liar, based on what you are saying.

if you want to see racism in America today. you need look on further than the prison system.

Institutional Racism and our Prison Systems
    "Just a few days ago I answered a series of questions on polls discussing how racism still persists in the United States because it has been institutionalized and operates in ways that are not as visible as before. I will use the discussion below to illustrate and prove to non-believers how racism is still a salient issue. Many of the things I write are not new ideas, but matters I happen to believe in and agree with which have been discussed in academic forums such as political science and sociology classes, debates, town hall meetings, friends and acquaintances who have actually gone through the system.

The legislative body in Albany, New York is finally about the make significant changes to the Rockefeller drug laws which until now required mandatory sentencing for first time offenders even if they are users and not sellers.

There are a few problems with this law which exists in some form or another in other States. "
    the rest of the article is in the link below
    http://www.sodahead.com/blog/52902/institutional-racism-and-our-prison-systems/

is Obama going to do anything about this?

Advertisement