Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How objective can a Fianna Fáiler be when presenting the Late Late Show?

Options
  • 12-05-2009 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Is it not a bit ironic that George Lee had the objectivity of his economic reporting questioned to such a degree (after declaring for FG) now that Ryan Tubridy has been named the presenter of the Late Late Show?

Ryan Tubridy (from wiki):
    "He was a member of the Kevin Barry Cumann of Fianna Fáil while in UCD and was active in the UCD Students' Union, as well as the Dun Laoghaire branch of Ógra Fianna Fáil. Two of his maternal uncles, Niall Andrews and David Andrews, served as Fianna Fáil TDs, with the latter serving as Minister for Foreign Affairs under Taoiseach Albert Reynolds. Two of his first cousins, Barry Andrews and Chris Andrews, currently serve as Fianna Fáil TDs, with the former Minister of State for Children in the government of Brian Cowen."
    Plus his brother is standing for FF in the upcoming council elections
    http://www.garretttubridy.ie/

How can he be expected to be objective when chairing a similar debate to the one that Pat Kenny carried out last Friday night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Is it not a bit ironic that George Lee had the objectivity of his economic reporting questioned to such a degree (after declaring for FG) now that Ryan Tubridy has been named the presenter of the Late Late Show?

Ryan Tubridy (from wiki):
    "He was a member of the Kevin Barry Cumann of Fianna Fáil while in UCD and was active in the UCD Students' Union, as well as the Dun Laoghaire branch of Ógra Fianna Fáil. Two of his maternal uncles, Niall Andrews and David Andrews, served as Fianna Fáil TDs, with the latter serving as Minister for Foreign Affairs under Taoiseach Albert Reynolds. Two of his first cousins, Barry Andrews and Chris Andrews, currently serve as Fianna Fáil TDs, with the former Minister of State for Children in the government of Brian Cowen."
    Plus his brother is standing for FF in the upcoming council elections
    http://www.garretttubridy.ie/

How can he be expected to be objective when chairing a similar debate to the one that Pat Kenny carried out last Friday night?

I suppose it's to do with professionalism. How can Dunphy with all his links to Man U present the football objectively?

Every journalist, broadcaster etc has views. If they let those influence their job then they are poor at what they do.

And the Late Late is hardly the pinnacle of public debate. From what I can tell its core demographic is septugenarian biddies who live miles away from civilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The Late Late Show is not Prime Time or Questions and Answers so it really does not matter, its a chat show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

RTÉ has ever been objective? I must've missed that program.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I suppose it's to do with professionalism. How can Dunphy with all his links to Man U present the football objectively?

Every journalist, broadcaster etc has views. If they let those influence their job then they are poor at what they do.

And the Late Late is hardly the pinnacle of public debate. From what I can tell its core demographic is septugenarian biddies who live miles away from civilisation.

Dunphy played for Millwall, what links does he have with Man Utd?

I suppose O'Callaghan would have been a bad choice as well with her bro being in the party. Gerry Ryan constantly defended Bertie in the past as well.

RTE is full of Fianna Fail parasites, one of them was bound to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

He was an apprentice there for three years.

JonathanAnon, I don't see this problem that you're pointing to. No-one ever appears to have ever criticised Sean Duignan, for example, when presenting a TV show with rather more political content, despite his more obvious links to FF. Keep the slapdown in the freezer ready for when he says that the eff-effers are a fine bunch of lads. I doubt you'll need to use it.

I wouldn't have given Tubridy the job - I don't think he's capable of doing it (though given that he has the job, I hope he is, I haven't been a Kenny fan so he could quite possibly be better - as options go he's probably as good as we have). The addon to that is that I don't think he's capable of being as devious on air as you reckon he could be. He's not exactly a hard nut, the difficulty won't be keeping him from fawning over TDs from the government, it'll be keeping him from fawning over all of them.

I should add that it's interesting that you can usually tell the politics of someone by who they think is running RTE. People of the left persuasion tend to reckon that RTE is being run by Fianna Fail, while Fianna Failers tend to think it's being run by a bunch of trots. I'm being simplistic and stereotypical, granted, but it tends to reveal less about RTE and more about the person's opinions on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Who reckons it was FF who got him the job?

RTE need the TV license increase approval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe it won't matter cos he won't have politics on the show? Maybe? Hopefully? ;)

Or if you like at least you know Ryans Tubbridys background so if you detect bias you can factor in as can everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

Dunphy doesn't present the football objectively, never has and probably never will.

As long as he doesn't say anything to offend the target audience that you've so succinctly identified above he'll be fine. It'd be impossible to find someone with no opinions on possible topics for the late late show, and I don't think it would even be desireable to do so if possible.

I'm not a big fan of the late late show (I fall outside the target audience on a few counts!) but I was genuinely intrigued by the situation that was presented when Pat Kenny interviewed Pete Doherty. Pat Kenny clearly had issue with Doherty being a very public figure model who is rather cavalier about the use of illegal drugs, this led to about the only interesting situation that i've heard about on the late late show in the last decade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Big difference between a game of football and the running of the country.
    Riskymove wrote: »
    The Late Late Show is not Prime Time or Questions and Answers so it really does not matter, its a chat show

There does be a lot of stuff on the show with a political slant, over the last week for example we had segments featuring discussions about:
    Justice system (about murderers being released early)
    Health system (little girl with CF)
    Discussion about Seanad
    Discussion about Dáil last friday.

And that's only the last few weeks, and the ones that I can remember. So to say that the Late Late is not political is not accurate in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i've often wondered about this objectivity thing.

while in the States last year in the run up to the Presidential election, I was really struck by the differences in how the same story was handled by the different networks. Spent lots of time in thr UK and the newspaper bias there is well known. Surely, if you don't like someone's views, you can just switch over, or not buy that paper?

It's different I suppose with RTE seeing as it's taxpayers money keeping it afloat. But the independent stations out there, e.g TV3, are surely under no obligation to sit on the fence as such?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Tubridy is a limited broadcaster who is incapable of interviewing anyone that is not from a middle- or upper-class background. He is completely disconnected from the ordinary viewer, and extremely condescending to those he considers his inferiors. When he has to ring Bridie iN Ballyhaunis to offer her a car, it will be very interesting.

The amount of times that I have seen this twat making a complete tit of himself in and around D.2.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Riskymove wrote: »

Yeah it's not like it's Mirriam o'Callaghan and you wonder how bertie managed to do so well in the pre-election leaders debate with Kenny :rolleyes:

The Late Late has always had the political dimension.
    Remember Eoin Harris' slimey vomit inducing displays on the Late Late that helped ensure him becoming a senator. :mad::mad:
    All it would take to make it diarrhoea inducing was to have the host championing the ff agenda as well :rolleyes:

The one thing I would say about Tubriody is he should keep his hands off good looking Mayo women the little south side gobdaw.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

Though I'm not a FF/FG man myself, you have to accept that a very large proportion of Irish people have considered themselves FF or even FG people through the years. To try and exclude people who are declared to a party would leave very few people to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Anyone have opinions on how relevant the Late Late show even is any more?

I'm now 26, and I can never remember watching a full episode. It just doesn't feature on my radar at all.

Granted I'm probably not the demographic they're aiming at, but one has to wonder who is watching this show?

As a side note, I've been impressed when watching Pat Kenny host political debates / current affairs stuff. He's surprisingly sharp and well informed - the man was wasted on fluff like interviewing Sligo's X Factor finalist and other such crap. I had a very low opinion of his abilities previous to seeing how he handles politicians, shame they didn't give him something more like Questions and Answers to present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

MikeC101 wrote: »
    As a side note, I've been impressed when watching Pat Kenny host political debates / current affairs stuff. He's surprisingly sharp and well informed - the man was wasted on fluff like interviewing Sligo's X Factor finalist and other such crap. I had a very low opinion of his abilities previous to seeing how he handles politicians, shame they didn't give him something more like Questions and Answers to present.

They have, Q&A is dead long live its replacement to be presented by Pat Kenny in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

mike65 wrote: »
    They have, Q&A is dead long live its replacement to be presented by Pat Kenny in September.

Ah! Thanks for the heads up. Goes to show how much attention I pay to RTE.

It's something I would probably watch. Long time since I've said that about an RTE program.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Anyone have opinions on how relevant the Late Late show even is any more?

I'm now 26, and I can never remember watching a full episode. It just doesn't feature on my radar at all.

Granted I'm probably not the demographic they're aiming at, but one has to wonder who is watching this show?

He used to be on Today Tonight and that was the precursor to Prime Time.
    Then they gave him Kenny Live and along came Late Late gig after Gaybo retired.
    Of course along the way they tried out Gerry Ryan on entertainment shows, but the man is not suited to TV no matter how many times they tried.
    Actually the gobsh*** isn't suited to any media IMHO.

No matter if you don't like Gaybo or not, he was a very good broadcaster and RTE have nobody that can come close to him.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I suppose O'Callaghan would have been a bad choice as well with her bro being in the party. Gerry Ryan constantly defended Bertie in the past as well.

RTE is full of Fianna Fail parasites, one of them was bound to get it.

Dunphy started his career at Man. Utd., along with Johnny Giles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

I honestly don't think it makes any sort of difference. Being honest, I think slightly better of the man knowing he was involved in politics (albeit college politics) than I did before. I find the people who go through life without at least flirting with something that resembles expressing an opinion or belief are far more dubious than those who don't. If he'd run in the party outside of college, you might have a case, but I think college involvement just denotes an interest in the area in general.

Besides, I don't think he's going to poison the Late, Late with a pro-Fianna Fail agenda. ("And Bridie, you won a lifetime membership of Fianna Fail... but wait, there's one for everybody in the audience!")

We're not talking about the US media's love affair with Obama here.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

A shame in general that RTE never "tested" likes of Tubridy, Ryan , Kenny etc when it came to paying them..Where can they go???UK...hardly..There is an audience which makes up their figures that has RTE on all day no matter what..If the TVs in hospitals and nursing homes were to go their ratings would be in trouble IMO...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Turbidy will just transfer his saturday night show to the Late late slot so there is no need to worry about any political bias from such a hollow and shallow vehicle for Turbidy and his vanity.

The best laugh to be had politically is Vincent Browne show on TV3 , (should call it Browne in the raw). Its a hoot, as Browne frequently loses control of his guests and they all talk at once. Other times he is completely incoherent and often he engages in baiting his panel guests eg Higgins FG the other night over his expenses and then Declan Ganley over his connections.Its like a brawl might ensue any minute. Great stuff and unrehearsed not like that anally retentive and fixed Q&A on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Turbidy will just transfer his saturday night show to the Late late slot so there is no need to worry about any political bias from such a hollow and shallow vehicle for Turbidy and his vanity.

The best laugh to be had politically is Vincent Hanleys show on TV3 , (should call it Hanley in the raw). Its a hoot as Hanley frequently loses control of his guests and they all talk at once. If it is not that he engages in baiting his panel guests eg Higgins FG the other night over his expenses and then Declan Ganley over his connections.Its like a brawl might ensue any minute. Great stuff and unrehearsed not like that anally retentive and fixed Q&A on RTE.

Vinnie's still fab alright. Even if he is dead 15 years. I think you might mean Vincent Brown?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Vinnie's still fab alright. Even if he is dead 15 years. I think you might mean Vincent Brown?

My aplogies I will amend it now.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Agree on Browne...George Lee,Shay Brennan and Alex White on it later tonight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Tubridy is a limited broadcaster who is incapable of interviewing anyone that is not from a middle- or upper-class background. He is completely disconnected from the ordinary viewer, and extremely condescending to those he considers his inferiors. When he has to ring Bridie iN Ballyhaunis to offer her a car, it will be very interesting.

The amount of times that I have seen this twat making a complete tit of himself in and around D.2.....

tubridy is a cultural elitist , limousin liberal ,a chapagne socilist , hes an elitist who comes from a family of elitists , , this form of elitism is not limited to tubridys party , while the andrews aswell as the lennehans are elitists garrett fitzgerald and mary robinson etc are cut from the same cloth , all are cultural elitists whos poltics is socilist in style whatever about practice

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

irish_bob wrote: »
    tubridy is a cultural elitist , limousin liberal ,a chapagne socilist , hes an elitist who comes from a family of elitists , , this form of elitism is not limited to tubridys party , while the andrews aswell as the lennehans are elitists garrett fitzgerald and mary robinson etc are cut from the same cloth , all are cultural elitists whos poltics is socilist in style whatever about practice
    As long as you realise that your rant appears to have sod-all to do with the question posed in the thread. Nul points I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think politics will feature less on it when Kenny's political show starts and Turbridy takes over.

I imagine RTE are getting people used to Pat holding political discussions.

Turbridy is an entertainer and expect the late late to be more like his own show than the classic late late format if he's let change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

The Late Late Show has always partaken in pro-agendaic political showcases. It has never been neutral.

Advertisement