Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project 64 and Goldeneye

Options
  • 12-05-2009 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭

Yo!

I recently had an conversation on favourite games ever with my mates and it reminded me of mine, Goldeneye for the N64. I dug out my old N64 and was looking forward to a good session and then i couldnt find the cartridge.

My brother told me he had "Project 64" on his PC so i am gonna download Goldeneye and play it on my PC. However, he told me at times in games there is mistakes and bad graphics etc.

Has anyone played Goldeneye on Project 64? Are there many mistakes? How is the game play? Is it faithful to the original game?

Cheers Boardies

Mr Stuffins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Not too sure buddy,

But if you have Half Life 2, then I'm sure this will interest you ;):D

http://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-source
    http://goldeneyesource.net/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Has anyone played Goldeneye?
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If you read the post you'd know that me asking had anyone played Goldeneye was in the context of playing it on Project 64.

I havent got Half Life 2 but i'll definately give that a shot, cheers man!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I havent got Half Life 2

Hahahahaha!!

Yiz f***ers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

works perfectly on project 64, problem is the game pad.

http://www.wishtech.com/

will solve that :D

Wow Dreamers thats quality. I didnt know such a thing existed!

I have a replica Playstation controller for the PC i'll have to get used to that for the timebeing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Has anyone played Goldeneye?

No, never heard of it.

Kharn wrote: »

Erm, yeah. Actually- does anyone know anything bout the SCUMM engine? I know you can download SCUMMV (or something) and then use that to play the old-school point&click adventures - or is this iffy territory?

FruitLover wrote: »
    No, never heard of it.

Somepeople are completely oblivious to the meaning of context. If you bothered reading the thread you'd realise i meant "Has Anyone Played It On Project 64"

But as some people need to be spoon fed, i've had to edit the post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

I just got off a big session of GoldenEye: Source just now :P

I've tried playing it on Project 64, but it just doesn't work. If you have an original N64 controller, yes it will probably work, but you also need a very powerfull pc to play it, something like 2GB and a good processor.

I don't have the controller.. So thank god for HL2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Erm, yeah. Actually- does anyone know anything bout the SCUMM engine? I know you can download SCUMMV (or something) and then use that to play the old-school point&click adventures - or is this iffy territory?

Scummvm is what you want to get. No, once you have the game files and load it up under Scummvm, it's 100% correct. In other words, it's the actual games that you're playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

i've played it, it works ok but there are some odd texture corruptions, but nothing terribly serious. you can map the keys cant you? cant remember how i played it. even without the analog itd be fine using normal controller like the psone fps setup. it doesn't require that fast a computer, my old one from 2004 ran it full speed no problems. p4, 1.5gb ram and x800 video.

TinCool wrote: »
    Scummvm is what you want to get. No, once you have the game files and load it up under Scummvm, it's 100% correct. In other words, it's the actual games that you're playing.

How does it work? Where can I download the games? I'd give anything to play Day of the Tentacle/Monkey Island/all the lucasarts games again!

i've played it, it works ok but there are some odd texture corruptions, but nothing terribly serious. you can map the keys cant you? cant remember how i played it. even without the analog itd be fine using normal controller like the psone fps setup. it doesn't require that fast a computer, my old one from 2004 ran it full speed no problems. p4, 1.5gb ram and x800 video.

Great, i'll be using my old PC (2005 i think) as my laptop is broken.

Hopefully it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Goldeneye source :eek: drool!

When i was in a counterstrike source clan one of the lads used to build the goldeneye levels in hammer. I swear they were carbon copies! Great laugh.

One of the best games ever made. I wasted more hours of my life playing that game than any other.

N64 was imo the best console ever.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Stack with Proxo mines on License to Kill.

Best. Multiplayer. Ever

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's dated very badly but multiplayer remains a good laugh.

It has dated badly but the game play is still great

I got it up and running at about 1am and havent stopped yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

How does it work? Where can I download the games? I'd give anything to play Day of the Tentacle/Monkey Island/all the lucasarts games again!

Go to the ScummVM. It's the homepage. It's extremely easy to use. I'm sure if you were to say google "Day of The Tentacle Rom" or something to that affect you'll find what you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

or look through abandonware sites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I watched someone play WipEout 64 on Project 64 and it looked great, I never noticed anything really wrong with it, it looked very smooth as I remeber.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CCCP^ wrote: »
    I watched someone play WipEout 64 on Project 64 and it looked great, I never noticed anything really wrong with it, it looked very smooth as I remeber.

I think the problem with N64 emulators is that they look a lot smoother than when on the N64. The N64 has it's own distinctive look when playing games on it due to the hardware limitations and purists just don't like the look of the games through emulators. Also I do find a lot of glitches in games that push the N64 hardware using emulators.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think the problem with N64 emulators is that they look a lot smoother than when on the N64. The N64 has it's own distinctive look when playing games on it due to the hardware limitations and purists just don't like the look of the games through emulators. Also I do find a lot of glitches in games that push the N64 hardware using emulators.

I think the purists can shut up or I'll hole-punch them in the face! The emulator bumps up the resolution of the games, adds anti-aliasing and makes the games look almost as good as current-gen. If they want to play Mario 64 with as much vaseline smeared over their eyes as some sort of Butch and Gaydance film then they're welcome to it! I'll take it in 1080p+ anyday. :D

But the N64 blur has nostalgia factor for people and the games have a different look since the N64 had a weird overly blurry texture filter and the games end up looking very angular without the dreadful vaseline smear :)

Maybe we need an N64 emulator on the PS3 since usually there's no antialiasing on that machine and a vaseline blur.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But the N64 blur has nostalgia factor for people and the games have a different look since the N64 had a weird overly blurry texture filter and the games end up looking very angular without the dreadful vaseline smear :)

Maybe we need an N64 emulator on the PS3 since usually there's no antialiasing on that machine and a vaseline blur.

Nope you just need to go back and play it on the N64 again. It still holds up. Plus I'm sure you can set Project 64 to the N64s 320x480 resolution if you really want to. I'll be quite content playing it with updated graphics, or not at all since I played it so much I can remember the run throughs of most of the levels. Great fun getting all the cheats though. :D

I played Goldeneye last year on my N64. Wasn't impressed at all. Severe framerate problems, nasty looking, and bad AI. The open non linear levels are nice but are spoiled by re-spawning enemies. I tried to like it and could see how innovative it was but tbh by the time Half life came out a year later it was already aging other than having being the best 4 player fps on a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Perfect Dark was always a better game, anyway.

Until Elvis showed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I had goldeneye running with full mouse and keyboard support on project64 -
    "w,a,s,d" to move "1,2" to change weapons R to reload and mouse 1 and mouse 2 for shoot and aim - it actually plays pretty well - mess around with the input/graphics config enough and the game actually plays pretty well - hard to believe its 12 years old game tho Perfect Dark > Goldeneye tho

Advertisement