Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libertas will contest Euro elections in Germany

Options
  • 12-05-2009 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

It has been announced today that Libertas will, after all, be contesting the European elections in Germany, albeit by proxy. http://www.auf-partei.de/presse/ (in German)

Having originally failed to gain the required signatures to make it onto the ballot with the 32 other parties that will contest this years elections, they have teamed up the AUF Party. http://www.auf-partei.de/

According to their website, The AUF Partie stands - 'Arbeit, Umwelt, Famile; Cristen fuer Deutschland'. That translates: 'Work, Environment, Family: Christians for Germany'

AUF state they are contesting the election on their own platform and with their own financing. However they will receive 'support' from Libertas and will join in Libertas faction in the European Parliament, should they be elected.

A short TV ad is available on their website. In it they cite concern about the amount of young muslims in Germany and whether they will grow up as Europeans or whether 'Europe will become Islamic'. They also say they support 'A Europe of the Nations' and 'Social market economy'

Its hard to work out where exactly this party came from. It appears that they were only founded in 2006 and have not yet contested and election. But it seems to me to be a splinter for the AUFBRUCH Party (http://www.partei-aufbruch.de/) who scored 0.2% nationally in the 2004 European elections.

German elections are by way of a Party list system. AUF would require at least 5% of the vote in order to gain seats in the Parliament.

I am doing my best to translate the German. Apologies for any mistakes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    According to their website, The AUF Partie stands - 'Arbeit, Umwelt, Famile; Cristen fuer Deutschland'. That translates: 'Work, Environment, Family: Christians for Germany'

A short TV ad is available on their website. In it they cite concern about the amount of young muslims in Germany and whether they will grow up as Europeans or 'Muslim Europeans'

just out of curiousity (im not very politically minded, but this grabbed my attention), how have the AUF party gone down with the german public considering the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

AUF state they are contesting the election on their own platform and with their own financing. However they will receive 'support' from Libertas and will join in Libertas faction in the European Parliament, should they be elected.

Ok seriously now, can Libertas drop the claim of being some innovative new pan european movement, they have become nothing more then a new political group if their members are national parties first, libertas second.

Libertas have no manifesto, there is no central party structure and all these members in their different groups did they elect Declan Ganley as their leader. Will Libertas have to have a political group vote on who their leader will be after the elections. man oh man Ganley actually having to practice democracy instead of preaching it, that will be wonderful.

if Ganley fails to get elected what happens then?

What if none of the irish candidates get elected, libertas could end up being a small part of a larger movement and end up being integrated into other movements.

Also do the Greens not count as the first pan european party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Helix wrote: »
    just out of curiousity (im not very politically minded, but this grabbed my attention), how have the AUF party gone down with the german public considering the above?

I've edited it slightly (see above) having listened to it a 3rd time.

The issue of integration is fairly mainstream in German politics to be fair. A message like that will probably go down will poorly with the Muslim community but might play reasonably well in working class white areas, although the Christian element would not play so well as the German working class has never tended to be that religious.

I'm not sure if anything the AUF say will make any impact on German politics to be honest. They are a micro group akin to the Christian Solidarity Party here. As I mentioned the party they split from got 0.2% last time round. These people are not big hitters in German politics, nor are they likely to be after this election.

Advertisement