Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC HD

• 12-05-2009 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

anyone have this phone.

wondering what your thoughts are . It runs on windows (uive heard bad things about this on mobiles)

is it really an ipod alternative. im on Vodafone with work so its not really an option

ive also been looking at the blackberry storm.

just wondering what everyone's thoughts are.

Cheer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

I have a Touch HD. It is excellent - it replaced my old N95 8GB.

The screen, once you see it, makes every other phone look cramped (that included iPhone which has a smaller screen). You can use all functions with your thumb, so there is no need to use the stylus for day to day phone stuff.

Battery life is ~ 2 days, depending on Wifi or HSDPA use. I have Skype, Messenger on all the time, which uses a bit more as you are constantly on HSDPA, makes it around half a charge left or a third after a day.

Application wise, there is no comparison, but that is more to do with Windows Mobile than the HD. You have full GPS (Tom Tom) if you want (can be purchased as a software download version 6) or a few more. There are applications for everything, it's endless.

Plays DivX no problems and the resolution of the screen is 800x480, which makes accessing your home desktop by Remote Desktop over the internet from anywhere quite ****ing cool, TBH!

It's as "good" as any other phone for music and Mp3s, every phone does this. it uses WMPlayer which plays everything standard. Expansion is micro SDHC, which is 32GB. I have 8GB on mine (got it included from Expansys), which is plenty.

The included web browser is Opera, again excellent and has no probs browsing regular sites, zoom in and out is fast. The resolution helps amazingly with browsing though, it's the same res almost as PCs used to be on 14" screens.

Other stuff that is great is the Outlook and Office integration. WM is basically the only thing to have to do this smoothly with Windows and Office on Vista. It also charges and syncs over standard USB cable.

The downside is the price (~ €630), but worth it if you have use primarily for work/appointments and so on, rather than texting socially, etc., .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Ok here's my bit. I have an iPhone... but I'd prefer a HTC. I got a trade in for my old N95 so the iPhone only cost 50 Euro. I have played with the HD in the far east and loved it.

Disadvantage of the Touch HD? Well the screen is great, but remember it's resistive, so you'll need to press it. Not very hard though as it's far more sensitive than other resistive screens.

The only other contenders are the new Touch Diamond 2 and Touch Pro2, they are cheaper and better (more sensitive screen and updated UI).
    Have a look on expansys.

The Blackberry is crap... stay away. Please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Yup, each one has a slightly different target market. If you need a real Qwerty keyboard, the Pro is what you want, but at the expense of size, weight definitely and probably battery as well.

The screen size really sold me on the HD, for movies while travelling and also the smaller screens *can* depending on how fat your thuimbs are, be a bit clumsy with smaller WM buttons :)

E.g., HD has 3.5mm headphone jack, Diamond 2 does not, but is slimmer, smaller and probably better battery.

Advertisement