Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths - Moments of Inertia

Options
  • 12-05-2009 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I was looking at skoool.ie and I noticed a proof of inertia formula that can come up and my class has not covered.

" Annulus, about centre, perpendicular to its plane: 1/2m(R^2+r^2)"
    http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_sc.asp?id=2595

Greatly appreciate if someone could go through it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

An annulus is the region between two circles. (That is, a disc with a smaller disc cut out from the middle.)

So, if you can do a disc, you should be able to do an annulus. It's just a matter of integrating from r to R instead of 0 to R, and altering the expression for mass per unit area.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Ah ok, I will try that.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 newie

Lads there is a smart bunch here and Im looking for a second opinion on a question, Ive a formula:

TP = 3.14
    (Wn ×√(1-ε^2 ))

and I want to get the formula reading Wn = , i.e I need to find a value for Wn and I have TP and the rest. I think Im right but want a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

newie wrote: »
    Lads there is a smart bunch here and Im looking for a second opinion on a question, Ive a formula:

TP = 3.14
    (Wn ×√(1-ε^2 ))

and I want to get the formula reading Wn = , i.e I need to find a value for Wn and I have TP and the rest. I think Im right but want a second opinion.

Swap the TP and the Wn and that gives you the amended equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 newie

was thinking that was it thanks. Also if you could how do I get the roots of this equation.

8/ s(1.5s +2)

x1= ?
    x2= ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement