Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just wonderin...

Options
  • 12-05-2009 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭

...if i do arts, and want to become a primary school teacher, do i have to do maths and irish or do i have a choice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

No.
    Definitely not.

Someone I know started a post grad this year to become a Primary School Teacher after doing a really wishy-washy degree in WIT which was in some way related to Art or something.

You can pretty much post-grad from any degree I think. (Correct me if I'm wrong in this bit). I'd imagine it has to be Level 8 though...

There's an interview process and the likes, and places are pretty limited.

EDIT: Unless of course you mean.. do you have to do Maths & Irish in your post grad when becoming a Primary Teacher. In which case, yes. Yes you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

so if i chose french, information technology, film studies and something else, i could still do the 4th year and become a primary school teacher?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

mink_man wrote: »
    so if i chose french, information technology, film studies and something else, i could still do the 4th year and become a primary school teacher?

There's usually two intensive interviews (one in English, one as Gaeilge) involved in getting into the post-grad primary teaching course. While your arts degree subject should have no bearing on your application, it would be silly to assume that you will just walk into a post-grad course like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

you just need a level 8 degree in absolutely anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

you just need a level 8 degree in absolutely anything

And then you can do a Post-Grad in Primary Teaching?

• Advertisement
Advertisement