Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelseas Era is over

• 12-05-2009 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I think Chelsea's era as main challengers to United is over I feel Arsenal will even surpass them next season. I reckon their squad is too old
    The only way I can see them challengeing is if Mourinho comes back is given total control and signs a few top class players.What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Chelsea had an era?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Huh?

It was hardly an era and to be fair Chelsea still have an excellent team that are capable of winning trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

More of a "stint" than an era really.

And even then i wouldnt say its over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Well, they were 2 mins away from being champions league finalists again this year and were the best team in the premiership at times last season, so I honestly don't think so.

Essien, who in my opinion is there best player has been missed this year and as a squad they aren't really that old.

If they get a decent manager in or manage to hold on to Hiddink, they will be contenders next year. There are better managers out there than Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

dyl10 wrote: »
    Well, they were 2 mins away from being champions league finalists again this year and were the best team in the premiership at times last season, so I honestly don't think so.

Essien, who in my opinion is there best player has been missed this year and as a squad they aren't really that old.

If they get a decent manager in or manage to hold on to Hiddink, they will be contenders next year. There are better managers out there than Mourinho.
    What he said, especially in relation to Essien.
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I heart knee jerk reactions

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There is a difference between an era and a flare up. I guess for Chelsea in recent times it's golden days. I wouldn't think it's over however. The depth of Abramovich's pockets or savvy choices in signings will have to have the final say in maintaining the squad. They will be there or thereabouts for a few seasons yet.
    Now I'm a Utd. fan but they were robbed in that semi final IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

We had an era? :confused: Why wasn't I informed?

Anyway, Essien was a huge loss for a long period this season so he's definitely worth a few extra points if he's fit all next season.

Also, Arsenal will not surpass Chelsea any time soon.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Is this meant to be a counter-balance to the Wenger thread?

Chelsea will still be challenging next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Chelsea don't have eras, they have phases.

That's the problem when you sack managers at the drop of a hat. Time for Roman to pick a manager and stick with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I think Chelsea's era as main challengers to United is over I feel Arsenal will even surpass them next season. I reckon their squad is too old
    The only way I can see them challengeing is if Mourinho comes back is given total control and signs a few top class players.What does everyone else think?

Judging by last Sundays game - Chelsea are a class apart

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Chelsea are a great team but i think some players need, not to be replaced, but supported by a better squad to ensure they can keep momentum throughout the season. Essien is a class apart and you need him and lampard fit for the season. Or have better alterantives from the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Last Season:

- lose the league on the final day of the season;
    - lose the Champions league final on penalties after giving it a right good ding;
    - lose the League Cup final in extra time in a game they could have won;

This Season:

- will probably finish 6 or 9 point behind eventual winners in the league (hardly an unbridgable gap )and be left to rue an encased bad run of form;
    - suffer daylight robbery in the Champions league semi - final;
    - are favourites to win the FA Cup;
    I think Chelsea's era as main challengers to United is over

What are you basing this on? Osmosis? Tea leaves?

All the last two seasons have shown are that the squad is close to winning all the loot, just needs some managerial consistency and some more production from out wide.

Still very much a force to be reckoned with, and probably for years to come at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Abromovich's pockets are deep but he's lost billions on the russian stock market. He's going to be much more prudent in the next few years but they have a good defence it's there legs in midfield I would be more worried about, that said Lampards played very well this season.

eZe^ wrote: »
    THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE!!!

So your saying ye DIDN'T pay off the ref:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

New manager, some actual wingers and a striker or 2 and they be back to challenge for 2nd :D:eek:

eddiehead wrote: »
    So your saying ye DIDN'T pay off the ref:D

No that was Utd :P

dreamers75 wrote: »
    New manager, some actual wingers and a striker or 2 and they be back to challenge for 2nd :D:eek:

Nah I'd be more than happy for Guus to stay tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

eddiehead wrote: »
    Nah I'd be more than happy for Guus to stay tbh

Unlikley tbh, Abramovich pays his wages for Russia too.

Would be an excellent choice tho assuming he was allowed buy players, Ancellotti and kaka wouldnt be a bad option but still need wingers /strikers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

WOW.

What era? Theres still a year of top class football left in our oldest players. When you have Cech, Terry, Carvalho, Cole, Essien, Lampard, Drogba and Anelka as the spine of your team your going to be challenging. Add to that Alex, Bosingwa, Ballack, Malouda, Mikel, J.Cole and Kalou. Then we have players like Deco, Ivanovic and Ferriera and good youths in Di Santo, Stoch and Mancienne.

We need to add a couple more top players to dominate again, but that squad is good enough to win trophies. If we had Essien all seaon this year i think we would still be right in the thick of things in the league.

Arsenal? Surpass us? What? As long as they keep that youth thing going they won't challenge again imo.

Chelsea need the right manager to succeed, if we find him we can win the league next year.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    One top class winger is all we need, don't need strikers.

Moyes to manage!

Chelsea has a good winer in Quaresma , but he never gets a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Thread's like these are summed up best by Ronnie

29d6z9u.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Abromovich's pockets are deep but he's lost billions on the russian stock market. He's going to be much more prudent in the next few years

questions are there though as to how deep his pockets really and if it's more than a case of 'prudence'.

He's still a very rich man on paper, but last i heard reported his companies margins were way down and coupled with the stock market losses he was having serious cashflow problems personally as a result. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to offload Chelsea at some point in the not so distant future, as they are still bleeding cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chelsea can go one of two ways but that holds true for almost every club - money or (relative) bust. If Roman doesn't get bored/shot/worried about future income then they'll be thereabouts for the foreseeable future. If the plug is pulled with the squad profile they have, they'll be battling it out with Villa/Everton/City for a minor European spot in 3 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

While this thread may seem reactionary there may be allot more to it than meets the eye.
    What is more important to Chelsea at the moment is what happens off the pitch than on it.

Hiddink wont be there next season. So who is going to manage the club? Thats a fairly big question mark to answer as it determines what players leaves or stays.

The big check book isn't there anymore given recent reports although a marque signing (like kaka e.g.) might still take place. Suggestions that Chelsea can go off and buy 3-4 players without losing anyone is well wide off the mark.

Lots of players are due to leave in the summer. Anelka and Drogba are firm favorites to go.

They still have a great squad but what will determine their success will be their ability to get the best of these players in tighter times and having to rely on a smaller squad. And we haven't even talked about the possibility of Roman A selling the club.

It can very easily go horribly wrong.... just look at Leeds. However, they are still a force to be reckoned with....for now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Strange enough season for Chelsea, Home form was not up to scratch, away form was the best in the league though.

Even with the problems of the manager and the home form, Chelsea are there or there abouts again in May.

Add a fit Carvalho, Essien and Cole to this season and it might have been enough to push them over the line.

Bit of housekeeping needs to be done in the summer, get rid of a couple of the high wage earners, Drogba, Ballack, Deco, etc. Get some fresh blood in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This sums up Chelsea for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

This sums up Chelsea for me

Its some sort or robot, man-bin type footballer........with 11 of these playing next season they have got to be in contention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

gucci wrote: »
    Its some sort or robot, man-bin type footballer........with 11 of these playing next season they have got to be in contention

Packing away their plastic flags for Glory Hunting fans who jumped ship whenever the russian came with his mega bucks.

Bet they will jump ship again whenever he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I think Chelsea's era as main challengers to United is over I feel Arsenal will even surpass them next season.
    :pac: id be worried of thr likes of Man City
    Barr wrote: »
    Chelsea has a good winer in Quaresma , but he never gets a game
    He he does seem a alright player but if Mourinho and Guss dont rate him then there must be something wrong with him..:confused:and i just remembered we dont need wingers...If Malouda keeps the form he is in now and then we get Cole back for next year..we're sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Boggles wrote: »
    Bit of housekeeping needs to be done in the summer, get rid of a couple of the high wage earners, Drogba, Ballack, Deco, etc. Get some fresh blood in.

Unfortunately Ballack's been offered another year anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

With Mikel and Essien off to the ACN next season and money being tight, it might not be a bad idea keeping Ballack around for another season. Slightly lesser wages would be nice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

if there is a chelsea era , then we're at the start not the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Jaysus!!!

and I thought I was negative!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Chelsea are United's biggest challenger for the league next season.

Semis of the CL out on a whisker.
    Favorites for the FA Cup.
    Behind in the league, but changed manager. Solid manager next season from the start with some width bought, they'll be a real tough beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

selpher wrote: »
    With Mikel and Essien off to the ACN next season and money being tight, it might not be a bad idea keeping Ballack around for another season. Slightly lesser wages would be nice though.

Well the story said he'll be on £120,000

Didn't realise they'll be off

growler wrote: »
    if there is a chelsea era , then we're at the start not the end of it.
    This sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I said at the start of the season that they'll need funds pumped into the club again. Essien is a fantastic player and should be kept at all costs. There's talk of Mikel going to Inter and if I was a Chelsea supporter I'd happily let United's best bit of transfer business go. If City come in with big bucks for Terry I'd let him go too. Carvalho is more important to the team. That's if the big bossman isn't willing to put in £40-50m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Mikel still has a way to go, but I do think he's got potential, wouldn't let Essian or Terry go anywhere, Terry is virtually indestructible and Ricky isn't

Now undecided about Malouda, he's suddenly starting doing a fair impersonation of a footballer

Happily see the back of Ballack and Deco and bring in some help for Joe Cole on the wings.

Don't forget not to vote for Norway tonight ! ;)

Advertisement