Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths

Options
  • 12-05-2009 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭

I don't understand the elective course options available on the Mathamatics course, throughout the diffenent stages, link.
    Could someone who has/is doing the course help me out here ?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

In every undergraduate course in UCD there is 2 electives per year (usually 1 per semester).

You can choose any undergraduate module which fits into your timetable, from any faculty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

In every undergraduate course in UCD there is 2 electives per year (usually 1 per semester).

You can choose any undergraduate module which fits into your timetable, from any faculty.
    What is an elective ? There are four stages in the course, how do stages tie in with electives ?

An elective is just a subject module you choose.

You do six modules per semester.

Each stage is a year (2 semesters) so it's a four year course.

oh, I get it.
    so does an Elective Module need to be a Science subject, or can it be an Arts subject.
    Also as Chemistry is listed in stage to must I do Chemistry in my 2nd year ?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    oh, I get it.
    so does an Elective Module need to be a Science subject, or can it be an Arts subject.
    Also as Chemistry is listed in stage to must I do Chemistry in my 2nd year ?
    You can pick pretty much any module from any faculty and any stage (there are some restrictions like for modules which require garda vetting), obviously excluding ones already prescribed in your degree.

You could pick chemistry modules which you don't already cover in 2nd year.

• Advertisement

But I must do chemistry in 2nd year ?
    Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think what's confusing matters here is that DN008 is a Science Omnibus degree. It's not a Maths degree, but it has a Maths track, and that's what that page is about. That's one example of a programme you can put together under Science Omnibus entry. In first year, 10 of 12 subjects must be Science subjects - you choose which - and the other two are your Electives. You don't have to have everything decided before you start, they say, you can decide after an advisory session. If you know you're going to do Maths or bust, you apply directly a Denominated programme e.g. DN032. See that link for an idea of what a Maths degree looks like, and note the non-trivial points requirements.

Electives can be just about anything you can get into that doesn't have prerequisites. After all, university is supposed to broaden the mind, right? Around the time people have to choose electives, you'll see "easy electives" threads popping up: basically, people looking for the most credit for the least work. I can just imagine lecturers looking at those threads, rubbing their hands, and saying "O RLY?"

PS: the two electives per year thing is not hard and fast, it can depend on the degree. After two years of "Structural Engineering with Architecture" I've had only two electives, though I have two in my third year. I stayed "in programme" on both - didn't see the point of going for an allegedly easy option.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    But I must do chemistry in 2nd year ?
    Thanks for the help.

The one given there is just an example. It could be any science subject - and tbh Mathematical Physics, Statistics or Computer Science would be better choices for that slot.

Advertisement