Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats this tap/pipe for?

Options
  • 12-05-2009 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

On the bottom left of this picture is a white twisting cap on a pipe, can anyone help me as to what is is for?

It is on a hot pipe coming from the boiler. The red tap below it in the pic stops the flow into the immersion tank and the pipe above it is the hot back out into the heating system. (the system that heats the water using the boiler water/heating system)
    The copper part seems to say Bar, presumably for pressure. But not clear on what it is doing.

Thanks in advance
    Redman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

could be auto bypass valve in case all rads are shut and immersion is shut also

from Post 6 below
    PeteHeat wrote: »
    Hi Redman,

It looks like a throttle valve to control the pressure / flow rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

full pic attached

Carlow52 wrote: »
    could be auto bypass valve in case all rads are shut and immersion is shut also

thanks but for what benefit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

redman wrote: »
    thanks but for what benefit?

if all rads are shut and immersion circuit shut, the circ pump will burn out without this bypass?

I must state that I think this is what it is: cant be certain from the pic: am not a plumber

from Post 6 below
    Hi Redman,

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi Redman,

• Advertisement

Hi Redman,

Many Thanks. Whats the purpose of it i.e. benefit of adjusting the flow or the correcting setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Looks like a pressure reducing valve. I always suspect an auto filling valve before I see a picture but its not that. What ever it is dont touch it. Obv!!!!

Thanks, but what does it do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

It's a Myson Automatic Bypass Valve. Extract from Mysons brochure:
    The Myson Auto By-Pass valve is designed for use in domestic central heating systems. Its purpose is to maintain constant pump pressure within the system. The advantages of installing this valve are as
    follows:

1. Ensures minimum water flow rates through the boiler.
    2. Reduces system noise associated with high pump pressures.
    3. Eliminates the need to fit an uncontrolled radiator to act as a system by-pass.
    4. Increases efficiency.
    5. Aids the operation of Thermostatic Radiator Valves.

The Auto By-Pass valve automatically opens and closes depending on system load. When the Thermostatic Radiator Valves are opened and calling for heat the Auto By-Pass valve remains closed. This allows the full output of the boiler and pump to circulate through the system. As sections of the heating system close down the Auto By-Pass valve opens to allow water to flow
    through the by-pass.

See page 23 of the brochure here for more information.

Hope this helps, Pete.

Thanks Pete, very helpful.

Cheers all

• Advertisement
Advertisement