Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New lawn baldness

Options
  • 12-05-2009 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I got my lawn relaid last September. I had to have it dug up and french drains installed running off to a sump pit. Since then the drainage has been great however the grass hasn't come up too good at all. Now the soil seems really hard and their are bald patches all over the place. See photos.
    Can anyone recommend what to do? There seem to be a lot of stones in the soil but the company that did the job are gone bust, so I can't get them back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

azzeretti wrote: »
    I got my lawn relaid last September. I had to have it dug up and french drains installed running off to a sump pit. Since then the drainage has been great however the grass hasn't come up too good at all. Now the soil seems really hard and their are bald patches all over the place. See photos.
    Can anyone recommend what to do? There seem to be a lot of stones in the soil but the company that did the job are gone bust, so I can't get them back.

loads of stone there.

will need a good raking and resow . Now is the time if you want grass by summer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Not sure how large the area is but grass doesn't appear to be very healthy looking. Probably need s alittle TLC and the plenty of yellow visible to me, which would also be a contributing factor to bare patches. Better to first remove the larger (>14mm) stones, then spread a thin layer (5-10mm) of compost or a John Innes Nr3 using the back of the rake to get a general even level, rake dresssing gently acrosss affected areas. Seed area and keep moist. Might need a number of applications to rectify any significant uneveness in prevailing ground levels.

Not sure how large the area is but grass doesn't appear to be very healthy looking. Probably needs a little TLC and the plenty of yellow visible to me, which would also be a contributing factor to bare patches. Better to first remove the larger (>14mm) stones, then spread a thin layer (5-10mm) of compost or a John Innes Nr3 using the back of the rake to get a general even level, rake dresssing gently acrosss affected areas. Seed area and keep moist. Might need a number of applications to rectify any significant uneveness in prevailing ground levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Not sure how large the area is but grass doesn't appear to be very healthy looking. Probably need s alittle TLC and the plenty of yellow visible to me, which would also be a contributing factor to bare patches. Better to first remove the larger (>14mm) stones, then spread a thin layer (5-10mm) of compost or a John Innes Nr3 using the back of the rake to get a general even level, rake dresssing gently acrosss affected areas. Seed area and keep moist. Might need a number of applications to rectify any significant uneveness in prevailing ground levels.

Thanks. Should I rake it first to break up the rock hard ground that is there or just throw the compost down on top and do as you say?

Give it a like raking but if the ground is hard and difficult to rake, wet the area lightly that should help you to get a fine tilth and then add compost etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement