Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - I think my dog swallowed a tennis ball.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

So, all and all, you are delighted to take such good care of Ted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

Yup, even with all the trips to the vet, I wouldn't do without Ted :)

Hey all........the tennis ball saga continues......
    So, we've been going with the "keep an eye on him" approach with Ted. Yesterday evening, he vomitted about 15 times, rang the vet, who once again said "keep an eye on him" (I am so sick of that saying)...we fasted him last night, gave him a little bit of brekkie this morning...came home on lunch to check on him....he had vomitted again...brought him into the vets.......and Ted is now staying in the vets over night. He's on a drip as he's dehydrated :(
    They're gonna put him under in the morning and give him another x-ray...and they'll probably have to operate on him.
    Word of warning for everyone............get pet insurance!!! This is costing us a fortune!!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

:eek::eek::eek: The ball is still in him???? OMG, that's 3 weeks now? I'm no expert...but that can't be right...I think your vet should have removed it long before now!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

Wow can't believe it's still going on, that's a very long time alright. I'd a dog once who swallowed a lolly pop stick and was told if she didn't pass it on the next few hours to bring her in. Luckily the liquid parafin worked that evening.

I hope your dog is feeling better soon. The poor thing must be feeling drained from all the vomiting.

• Advertisement

I know, I kept ringing them and bringing him in, but when he was acting normally they didn't wanna do anything to him. How they thought he'd manage to pass a tennis ball is beyond me. When this is all over and done with, I'll ring another vet and ask them was my own vets right to wait.

He was fair miserable last night, I was miserable - a big miserable house!! I know he's much better off in the vets, but it's weird not having him here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

i hope you get good news tomorrow when you go in, hopefully they'll be able to do something for him, i'd imagine it could be causing infection or anything from being left there for so long. I could be wrong now as i don't know much about these things but i'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

How's Ted?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

How is Ted doing. Hope well. Waiting for good news!:)

Ted came home today!!! He is currently sporting a lampshade round his head and looking very miserable...and bald!
    They opend him up on Thursday and had a feel of his intestines. They couldn't feel anything so she decided not to open up the intestines. She said the ball may have broken up, and came up in the vomit and we wouldn't have seen it.
    So he's on antibiotics, and Hills prescription food at the mo, and we're back Monday evening for a check up. The damage to my wallet.....€511. That doesn't include the first x-ray, anaesthetic, check-ups!
    One thing ye may be able to help me out with......Ted has been on Burns food. We've found it helps his digestion and his glands.....but...he's lost a bit of weight after all this and we've to bulk him up a bit. So, can anyone recommend a food that's easy on digestion, has positive results on glands, and isn't too hard to find. On the Burns food, dogs are a bit leaner than on other foods, so it won't help him to put on weight.

Oh, when he was in the vets, he chewed through his drip...surprise surprise!!

• Advertisement

Welcome home TED!!!!

Never mind the money.... just as long as Ted's getting better! More money will follow but there's only one Ted!! :pac:

That's great news!icon14.gif
    Orijen is working for one of our lads- we've had a battle to put weight on him but finally we have a food that's doing the job so far! We order it from the UK and it arrives to our door in no time....hassle free!

Thanks guys/gals.
    Call Me Socket, is there a particular type of Orijen you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

You could put him on the burns mini bites, its for puppies and younger dogs will help with weight plus you wont have to worry about changing over food as they are basically the same. Its the dark green bag.

Thanks guys/gals.
    Call Me Socket, is there a particular type of Orijen you use?
    Just their normal kibble, adult one for the boys http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/adultFeeding.aspx
    and a puppy one for 8 month old Neala http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/puppyLargeFeeding.aspx

It's one of the NIs (Juneau) that we have a problem fattening up, but he has already put on a bit since starting on the adult Orijen.

Thanks for that - much appreciated :)

Advertisement