Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stuck between 2 cameras - canon & panasonic

• 12-05-2009 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I have read the stickies and used the very helpful dp review selector (I want a *very* small P&S) and read lots and lots and lots of reviews but am now stuck between 2 cameras:

The Canon ixus 95 and the panasonic Lumix-DMC FS15.

The latter is swaying it at the moment with the 5x optical zoom but I have read that Canon IQ is almost impossible to beat for P&S and that the image stabilisation feature is particularly notable. I guess my main concern / question therefore is in relation to the IQ aspect of the panasonic lumixes (would love the 5x zoom) - is it up there with Canon or would I be better off sticking with the Ixus 95 (they get such great reviews!)?

They are both a similar price, so that's not helping!

Thansk in advance for any advice :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MarthaT

Hi guys

I have read the stickies and used the very helpful dp review selector (I want a *very* small P&S) and read lots and lots and lots of reviews but am now stuck between 2 cameras:

The Canon ixus 95 and the panasonic Lumix-DMC FS15.

The latter is swaying it at the moment with the 5x optical zoom but I have read that Canon IQ is almost impossible to beat for P&S and that the image stabilisation feature is particularly notable. I guess my main concern / question therefore is in relation to the IQ aspect of the panasonic lumixes (would love the 5x zoom) - is it up there with Canon or would I be better off sticking with the Ixus 95 (they get such great reviews!)?

They are both a similar price, so that's not helping!

Thansk in advance for any advice :)

Both are nice, Im partial to the Canon as I've had a couple of them, they seemed well built and lasted me a long time
    ipod.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I own one camera from each manufacture you mention.

B50A6D80BDDE4062AB5061BB0FC07DE6-800.jpg

I love my Panasonic, fits in my pocket, has the Leica optics and takes reasonably good shots:

7567FDCE6F5F4942B588C27DC70D22F8-800.jpg

My Canon has a few more features but is larger and older, not a problem in your case a both cameras you are looking at are about the same size and new. It too takes decent shots:

DF4C68CF4C784E4AAC31F302CA67F289-800.jpg

The only real difference I can see between the two cameras is the Canon has a P (program) shooting mode, which can be nice.
    If you can find a shop that has both and go as try each in store see how they feel and which you like more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

These sorts of questions are really hard, because the chances of finding someone who has used both, are pretty slim.

The ideal would be to try both out in shops, if that would be possible. Failing that, you could do searches on Flickr.com for images taken with both cameras and see what other peoples results are like. Make sure to click on 'all sizes' to see high res versions of the shots. Just put DMC-FS15 or ixus-95 in the search box.
    The Panasonic has Image stabilisation as well.

The truth is you probably could not go wrong with either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks a lot for all the input guys - I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna make a big mistake one way or the other, especially with funds being tighter these days :o It's much appreciated :) Will see if I can track down a shop that has both and take a look!

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Conns Cameras do both of these and the staff there would show you both and give good advice. If I was you I would stretch a bit further and get the Canon SX200 IS. It has a 12X zoom and High Def video to boot. Conns are doing a good price on it with cashback and a free case and card - rivals online prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

jpfahy wrote: »
    Conns Cameras do both of these and the staff there would show you both and give good advice. If I was you I would stretch a bit further and get the Canon SX200 IS. It has a 12X zoom and High Def video to boot. Conns are doing a good price on it with cashback and a free case and card - rivals online prices.

Thanks for the advice jpfahy. That canon looks great but it's too big really - i'm looking for an ultra compact model and the sx200 is just too big I think. Thanks though :)

Advertisement