Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of shop does Galway need?

Options
  • 12-05-2009 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Hi all, been a avid reader and thought it'd be about time I made my first post! I was just wondering; people are always complaining about the crappy selection of shops we have in Galway. I'd love to start something.... madness I know the way things are.
    What would ye like or what does galway need? Not a big chain but could be a franchise/branded store, food/clothes/homeares/gifts/etc that someone could open.
    Thanks in advance. CF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

KFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

KFC

ummm I do love grizzle covered bone deep fat fried.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Glad you asked! We need a Maoz!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Id love a mens clothes store that didn't sell nothing but stripey jumpers. A pennys store but a tad more upscale. I dont know if that fits into a particular chain of stores or not. Galway seriously lacks variety in Mens clothes. Im at the point where Im going to have to buy clothes online because everytime I walk into a non-pennys clothes store, I find myself walking straight out again within a few seconds. Im pretty sure im not alone on this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:TK MAXXXXXXXXXX:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

Homevalue Hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Krieg wrote: »
    Id love a mens clothes store that didn't sell nothing but stripey jumpers. A pennys store but a tad more upscale. I dont know if that fits into a particular chain of stores or not. Galway seriously lacks variety in Mens clothes. Im at the point where Im going to have to buy clothes online because everytime I walk into a non-pennys clothes store, I find myself walking straight out again within a few seconds. Im pretty sure im not alone on this one

You are not alone my friend, you are not alone. Not a huge fan of stripes, but am guilty of a few stripey t-shirts.

Most t-shirts I buy online, although you do run the risk of size/fit problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LeggyBrunette

H&M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

A decent shoe shop with shoes I'd actually wear???

Actually that might be a bad thing for my pocket:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

H&M.

Theres one in Omagh... why not Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Coffeeshop.

jayoo wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:TK MAXXXXXXXXXX:D:D:D

I heard from a reliable source that TK Maxx is coming to Galway. It's going down by Debenhams.

Men's clothes shop. An actual dedicated Men's clothes shop, rather than just some corner with a few rails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭jesterhead

TK Maxx, as has been said would be good.
    For mens clothes, something like Unique in Dublin is really needed. Good fitting, quality clothes, low prices.
    We badly need a good musical instrument store, with a big selection that at least attempts to compete with online prices, instead of doubling them!
    KFC would be unreal, love the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

H&M.
    dmcg90 wrote: »

There is even one in Athlone :P . They dont stock mens clothes though, which is a pity since they had some nice stuff when I was in their shop in New York. My Girlfriend used to work there and she said they also dont stock a certain range for women, cant remember what it was called, but she was saying that they were the nicest stuff they had.

KFC is a real case of grass is greener on the other side, the whole town of Athlone could not wait for it to come, when it did it was quickly discovered to be not as nice as we all remembered it! It doesn't do great bussiness as far as I know

(and yes, I can speak for the whole town!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

ScumLord wrote: »
    Coffeeshop.

Town already has enough of them not in a million years would Galway need another one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A 'full license' sushi place
    A veggie restaurant that's interesting (bring back the Sunflower:D)
    Decent Mexican restaurant

An oxygen bar (ok, never tried it at Electric Picnic, now am just curious!):P

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

(and yes, I can speak for the whole town!)
    You can certainly speak on my behalf, regards KFC. Ate there 2 or 3 times, everytime I thought it was getting better, I ended up nearly vomiting in my mouth!

As for Galway, I do love the sound of a TK max, but sometimes it depends on the store how your experience may be.

Also, (prob not a good idea during the tight wallet times) some decent competition for Square eyes internet and gaming cafe. With wired gone and what I consider high prices (I liked wired where I could build up time and keep it for another day) from Square eyes, theres no where id go. Pub anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Ditto on TK Maxx. Are the rumours true??????
    My Fiance loves the place and is always buggin me to go back to the one in Dublin. For some reason the Dublin shop is better than Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

dmcg90 wrote: »

really? where? (off topic sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

Rather than one shop I think Galway actually needs a decent sized shopping centre on the outskirts of the city somewhere, with actual nice shops - decent size, good range - and decent parking rather than than the pokey little holes that we have at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Sushi restaurant that doesn't just do smoked salmon/chicken terriaki/veggie.
    A good cafe that stays open late, somewhere with better coffee and service than Java's.
    TK Maxx
    H&M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭businessboy

how about another Mocha beans LOL

im sure theres at least one street in Galway that is lacking a Mocha beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yeah, have to agree. Another late night hangout spot that doesn't just focus on booze (unfortunately that may mean not having booze at all thanks to p-heads). Perhaps that has late live acoustic music? Food that is not fast food or have curry ;) (to avoid the post clubbers!). Could lead to folks just sitting there longer than needed I suppose..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

TK Maxx
    An Excellent Mexican restaurant
    A Sushi Place
    In N Out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

A decent forking Chandlery. The only 2 in Galway are, i'm sorry to say it, but total rip-off merchants.

I do *all* my Chandlery shopping online, for once i'd love to be able to go into a shop and actually buy stuff. In the UK bricks-and-morter shops compete with online prices. Once place I went into even have a PC on the desk with a note above it saying "Found an online deal? Find it and we'll try to match it"

Guess there's just not that much demand there as there's not much marine activity in Galway. I swear though if Galway gets a proper marina i'm going to splash all my savings (all 2 euro of it!) and opening a Chandlery

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

TK Maxx would be handy for a few reasons, one being that generally, they sell nicer shoes than any shoe shop in this fecking country (if you are lucky enough and then stock your size) and you can get amazing suits in there and even if they don't fit perfectly you can get them fitted properly with the money you'd save on the cost compared to Ryans/BT.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Knocking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LeggyBrunette

A decent restaurant, with decent prices.

I have yet to find a restaurant in Galway where I will leave and say to myself: ''I'll recommend this place to a friend, food was amazing''.

I ate in a restaurant on Quay Street lately, meal was average and the prices were bloody ridiculous. Seriously, if Ihad know I was gonna get screwed, I'd have asked yer wan for a kiss first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Good call on H&M...needs to have a men's section though.

For the poster who said it doesn't have one, there's a great men's section in the one in Dublin.

Went to the Athlone one once, and was hopeful of grabbing something nice, but alas that branch didn't have a mens section, strange.

Advertisement