Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of shop does Galway need?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

brmccfc wrote: »

I'd easily settle for these lads too. Technically fast food, and I've had better tamales, but effin nyom nyom fish tacos etc. We needem imo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

inisboffin wrote: »
    I'd easily settle for these lads too. )

As delicious as they are unfortunately their recent lawsuit means I don't think they'll be moving here anytime soon. Their Enchiladas are delicious though. The best Mexican place I've eaten at however would be Chipotle

Just to follow on from my earlier post a Baskin Robins would be nice.

Sea Devils wrote: »
    As delicious as they are unfortunately their recent lawsuit means I don't think they'll be moving here anytime soon. Their Enchiladas are delicious though. The best Mexican place I've eaten at however would be Chipotle

Just to follow on from my earlier post a Baskin Robins would be nice.

Didn't know that:eek:
    They do pretty well even still in OR and WA tho.. and their chips are nyom.
    Anything though, anything resembling good Mexican food!

On a related subject, there are at least some NICE staff working at Mainguard St La Salsa now tho, it actually makes the food taste a tiny bit better. Still a blur of odd sauces tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Tawny wrote: »
    really? where? (off topic sorry)

Sorry its in Ballymena, always get the two mixed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

a proper everything under one roof shopping centre in the dundrum town centre vein. not gonna happen till the next boom though i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Jamey wrote: »
    Good call on H&M...needs to have a men's section though.

For the poster who said it doesn't have one, there's a great men's section in the one in Dublin.

Went to the Athlone one once, and was hopeful of grabbing something nice, but alas that branch didn't have a mens section, strange.

I was talking about the Athlone branch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Eurochild

Jamey wrote: »
    Good call on H&M...needs to have a men's section though.

For the poster who said it doesn't have one, there's a great men's section in the one in Dublin.

Last time I was in the Dublin one a few months ago got majorly annoyed by the Sterling/Euro ripoff on the pants I was going to purchase, so they can stay away from Galway if that's their lark. Reckon Zara have nicer stuff for men anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

TK Maxx will be open in galway by the end of the summer

Born is a great addition, really beautifully designed and the cafe will be spectacular when it opens. Pity the clothes are so bloody overpriced...

Zara and H&M would be good but I'd hate to see them opening on Shop St. Galway does need a proper shopping centre somewhere within the city core (docklands or CIE lands maybe) that could soak up all the "high street" type shops leaving the medieval core of the city to have more characterful shops, bars and reataurants. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing so many mobile phone shops, vision express and other boring uses lining what should be the nicest street in Galway.

What Galway REALLY needs is a nice big food market and deli type place. Something like the English Market in Cork or, on a much smaller scale the wildly overpriced Fallon & Byrne in Dublin. The carpark on Market Street would be the perfect spot for it or possibly somewhere down towards the docks. I reckon even now somewhere like that would do really well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

citycentre wrote: »
    TK Maxx will be open in galway by the end of the summer

Where will it be?? Knocknacarra??

+1 on something like the English market; I loved that place when I lived in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Rumour has it that TK Maxx are the main tenant in the new building in Prospect Hill, just across the road (Bothar Irwin I think) from the County Council buildings.

No idea if it's true or not.

I agree re the need for a 2nd late-night coffee shop, and also a food market.

And given the number of creative types in Galway, some market space that can be accessed on a casual/short-term basis without having to have an annual licence that's really hard to get.

• Advertisement

No, they are apparently going into that big new building on Prospect Hill

JustMary wrote: »
    And given the number of creative types in Galway, some market space that can be accessed on a casual/short-term basis without having to have an annual licence that's really hard to get.

Agreed - someone could make a fortune just by building a really simple, warehouse type structure to house a permanent covered market for both food and crafts/casual traders... In a tourist town like Galway it would be a goldmine. Maybe on the site of the oil tanks when the Volvo Boat Race circus moves on? I can't see anything else being built on that particular site until this recession eases off a bit. it would become a real destination and draw people to the docks all year round.

Of course something like this, the gorgeous Santa Caterina Market in Barcelona would be even nicer but what are the chances!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

citycentre wrote: »
    No, they are apparently going into that big new building on Prospect Hill

Any idea what else is going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭redpanda26

H&M would be good in Galway but isn't anyone else really annoyed that tesco have reduced their prices in all their border shops,yet the rest of us have to pay higher prices in Galway, the midlands, south etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭aineolach

Another Claddagh Ring shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

Galway needs a take away restaurant with items on the menu like, for example, spaghetti bolognese, lasagne, bacon and cabbage, shepards pie, steak, turkey and ham, chicken and stuffing, veg, etc.
    Like a cooked meal for take away. There was so many times I was starved and didn't feel like cooking, and the only takeaways are supermacs and chinese (just rubbish really). A delivery service for such a restaurant would be great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 HomeAccount

TK Maxx is coming to Galway. A very good friend of mine is very high up there and told me so

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galway needs a take away restaurant with items on the menu like, for example, spaghetti bolognese, lasagne, bacon and cabbage, shepards pie, steak, turkey and ham, chicken and stuffing, veg, etc.
    Like a cooked meal for take away. There was so many times I was starved and didn't feel like cooking, and the only takeaways are supermacs and chinese (just rubbish really). A delivery service for such a restaurant would be great too.

Riordans (might be spelt a little differently, but you get the idea) on Quay St will do a take-away meal if you ask nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Whats for Dinner deliver from Fat freddys and scottys, That covers some italian and steaks. The place above zhivago on shop street definatley does their carvery menu to go if you ask

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Sainsbury's - Then Tescos would have real competition & prices would plummet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Wal-mart.

Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Discodog wrote: »
    Sainsbury's - Then Tescos would have real competition & prices would plummet.

Sainsburys? Really? THought Asda would of been better, most people you hear on the news going up to the North for their stuff are mostly in Asda. Must be a sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Asda are owned by Walmart but Tesco's & Sainsbury's have always been bitter rivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GalwayCityGirl

We really need the likes of H&M & Zara, where you can get value for money and where we do not get sent 1/3 of the stock that other stores have(like oasis, river island) i'm tired ofn having ti go to Limerick and Dublin to do my clothes shopping every other month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

H&M and Zara

yeah a sushi restaurant/bar aswell.. very upset about Aya in Dublin gone now, was my fav up there.

I agree that we also need a better covered space (like the one in cork) for the market or even just a bigger space. maybe even to run on a friday too?

Also agree about a restaurant doing take away healthy dinners like spag bol & pasta dishes and the likes. That also wasnt wildly overpriced.

Aya's gone in Dublin?? :(

Slightly off topic, sorry, but I would LOVE this place here (it's in Dublin 6)
    Best sushi in Ireland imo, but take away/delivery only

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What's yer obsession with sushi? FFS if ye want raw fish give me a buzz, i'll get some mackerel, throw it into a blender and wrap it around some black seaweed... and i'll only charge ye half what the sushi places are charging :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I'd like Halfords to setup here and sure how about another Supermacs

JohnCleary wrote: »
    What's yer obsession with sushi? FFS if ye want raw fish give me a buzz, i'll get some mackerel, throw it into a blender and wrap it around some black seaweed... and i'll only charge ye half what the sushi places are charging :D

Shh! I'm only in it for the wasabi high! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

Hi all, been a avid reader and thought it'd be about time I made my first post! I was just wondering; people are always complaining about the crappy selection of shops we have in Galway. I'd love to start something.... madness I know the way things are.
    What would ye like or what does galway need? Not a big chain but could be a franchise/branded store, food/clothes/homeares/gifts/etc that someone could open.
    Thanks in advance. CF

STARBUCKS!!!! No really, Galways a city, so why is there no Starbucks?? :( I miss my weekly intake of the glorious coffee. It's about time one was opened up.I'm sure it would give Java coffee a run for their money, as they seem to be the only some-what decent branch in the city at present. :p

Advertisement