Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of shop does Galway need?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

lisaface wrote: »
    STARBUCKS!!!! No really, Galways a city, so why is there no Starbucks?? :( I miss my weekly intake of the glorious coffee. It's about time one was opened up.I'm sure it would give Java coffee a run for their money, as they seem to be the only some-what decent branch in the city at present. :p

Noooooo!:p Over roasted beans!

Actually I have had good and bad coffee from *$s -I find them a bit inconsistent tbh, and prefer to support the smaller coffee shops (once it's good).

That little place up on Shop St near the market is usually spot on. And Providence on St Augustine St.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

inisboffin wrote: »

Actually I have had good and bad coffee from *$s -I find them a bit inconsistent tbh, and prefer to support the smaller coffee shops (once it's good).

That little place up on Shop St near the market is usually spot on. And Providence on St Augustine St.

Nooooo :( Yes, after the quiet bitching about it sometimes being crappy, I somehow always manage to enjoy it! lol I've only been living here 3 months, street names mean nothing, unless you're describing a club/pub I've been in!!

No really,I do better with picture description. Picture memory is, my best option.
    Decent coffee, is really hard found in this city though :( Seriously, lets start a campaign to open a SB store in Galway, who's with me?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Yeah thats a grand wee coffee shop, just by neacthains pub, really nice java!! hits the spot everytime.

But you know, you can get really good !green! tea here in galway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

ultain wrote: »
    But you know, you can get really good !green! tea here in galway!!!

hahahaha, I'm not even sure, you just did what I think you're doing,but it's still funny!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭businessboy

wall mart is coming to galway

was chatting to a guy the other day who is pretty high up in management in Dunnes in terryland and he confirmed that they have been approached by WallMart and as far as he's concerned the deal has been done.

So expect to see wall mart in terryland in the not so distant future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭businessboy

also Starbucks have been enquiring about the empty retail space underneath the Marriott Hotel, beside the petrol station.

watch that space!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Oh dear god please no Starbucks.Unless you like mostly burnt, tasteless and wildly overpriced Coffee.

I've heard so many rumours about their possible arrival here anyways. Firstly they were suppossedly going in where the Sisley store used to be near HMV, then possibly above Mocha Beans near Foxes Bar in Eyre Square and now we have the space beside the Mariott Hotel rumour. I take it all with a grain of salt.

For my money that Lavazza place on Shop Street is the best Coffeeshop in Galway anyways:)

No, no, i wouldnt do that;)

Yeah, Lavazza, that's the one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Sadly, we can't produce more home grown viable shops, to make Galway more unique, not something that will soon resemble every high street in Ireland and the UK.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A market shop where they sell the market food all week. :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

I wish there were a few cool second hand shops. Or shops with cool clothes. Limerick used to have a great one called Modesty or the Edge with cool second hand Levis flares & cords, Leather Jackets and different clothes like cool t-shirts, hats etc that your New Look & Miss Selfridge. I do love New Look but if you want anything different than what everyone else is wearing you have to go to Dublin (Templebar) or places far away!

Galway really needs decent men clothes shops alright. Really sucks. WHo actually wears all the neon sh it like they sell in New looks mens dep't? Some of the guys clothes in there are more girlie than in the womens. tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I think Galway has enough charmy little coffehouses without a need for Starbucks. Cant see the point in starbucks anyway unless you're looking to be robbed for pretty bland coffe IMO.
    I'd like to see a nice big comic shop open up rather than pokey little rip off sub city!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

WAGAMAMA! anyone ate there before? immense!!

H&M i agree

KFC i agree

YO! Sushi, only a matter of time before its here imo

isnt Zara going into where taffess on shop street was, once 'the oil tanks are gone' ?

Really agree on the whole food market idea, galway has enough rain, we need to be able to eat without soakin our chips :P

The food is something else, you get huge portions as well!

There's a guy that zooms around on a motorbike-van, he has some nice coffee.:)

ultain wrote: »
    There's a guy that zooms around on a motorbike-van, he has some nice coffee.:)

Is it owned by Mocha Bean by any chance? Have seen it around the market once or twice

Also LOL at Walmart coming to Galway. Think you got confused with Asda

Mocha bean? Coulld be, i reckon we have enough coffee options in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

h&m and zara will of course have special irish prices though wont they and whoever said galway needs individuality is correct or galway really will end up loking like every town in the uk,its already half way there.
    smaller shops cannot afford the ridiculous fees being asked of them.
    a lot of smaller shops and business' simply dont get a leg in the door due to ridiculousthings such as key money etc

• Advertisement

True, good point. Galway could do with more quality secondhand shops, as in a used electrics shop to name one

Wagamama I have to agree on. Ate there when I was in London and nyom nyom.

Starbucks I do not. There are enough nice little cafes in Galway without it. I would fear that a Starbucks would take away from these.

Edit:

We do not need another fastfood place. Burger King, McDonalds and Supermacs is more than enough. What Galway does need is a restaurant where you can get a proper feed without having to pay an arm and a leg. I was very impressed with Wagamama's prices.

Starbucks I do not. There are enough nice little cafes in Galway without it. I would fear that a Starbucks would take away from these.

Starbucks couldn't care less about taking away from the Cafes here if it comes though. Besides most of the customers from those cafes would flock to it regardless of how overrated it is.

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Starbucks couldn't care less about taking away from the Cafes here if it comes though. Besides most of the customers from those cafes would flock to it regardless of how overrated it is.

Yeah, they might flock initially but not sure they would stay..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I heard from a reliable source that TK Maxx is coming to Galway. It's going down by Debenhams.

Men's clothes shop. An actual dedicated Men's clothes shop, rather than just some corner with a few rails.

On TK Maxx's website, in their jobs section, they have vacancies for managers for their new Galway store opening soon so it must be a definte then. Good jobs boost for Galway then as they normally hire between 50-100 per store. Surprised local media haven't reported it's opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭AdamantApproach

A shop for oversized dildos would be great. cheers.

ongarboy wrote: »
    . Surprised local media haven't reported it's opening.

There was an article in the Tribune today about it opening in the new City point development at Prospect Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

inisboffin wrote: »

What about Neachtains, they do a splendid coffee and reasonably priced.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Neachtains is the biz, and I do grab coffee there a lot, but I would consider the coffee itself fair to medium. I go for the atmosphere more than the beans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

What galway needs is a dunkin donuts!:eek:

Advertisement