Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of shop does Galway need?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

What about Neachtains, they do a splendid coffee and reasonably priced.

Neachtains is ok in terms of getting Coffee. Mc Cambridges new Coffee bar is excellent imo
    Tomebagel wrote: »
    What galway needs is a dunkin donuts!:eek:

It's probably more of a personal thing but I've always perferred Krispy Kreme.

I thought there already was one - it didn't survive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Is there any love for Nandos? I think there used to be/is one in Dublin. I'm surprised there isn't restaurants in Cork/Limerick/Galway because they're a pretty big chain in England and would probably do quite well during this "recession" as it's a good compromise between the cheapness of fast food and the quality of a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Perhaps a proper sushi bar? Like a YO Sushi?
    Would anyone be interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

fend wrote: »

A Sushi bar is on most people's lists. I'd love one myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I'll see your Dunkin Donuts and raise you Krispy Kreme:pac:
    fend wrote: »

A Yo Sushi would be great. And/or any decent Sushi bar.

As would a Wagamama.

I'd also like a Lush branch, they've been trying to get into the city for years.

I had to pop into Halfords elsewhere in the country for something over the weekend and I'd have to say one of those would be pretty handy in the city also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Oh God.
    If there was Lush I'd move to a new flat that had a bathtub instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

I always wondered why there isn't a lush in galway, the only reasons I thought there wasn't one already was that may be rent was too steep but that shouldn't be an issue now.

Going back on topic tho, a food hall would be cool. could have it down near the docks on merchants rd may be and there'd be a decent supply of fresh fish for the sushi lovers as well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Feck YO Sushi and wagamamma.

Yamamorri Noodle Hoodle/Shshi house is what Galway needs.

In Dublin there are two restaurants one does noodles and the other does noodles but in galway you wouldnt have the market for both so an all in one venue would be perfect, their food is fat better than either chain and they are cheaper than both.

Love Yamamorri!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I always wondered why there isn't a lush in galway, the only reasons I thought there wasn't one already was that may be rent was too steep but that shouldn't be an issue now.

Apparently the plan was to open a branch of Lush in Galway before they opened their Cork branch(now open a few years), but they couldn't find anywhere suitable with adequate space and storage for a reasonable rent.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Feck YO Sushi and wagamamma.

Yamamorri Noodle Hoodle/Shshi house is what Galway needs.

In Dublin there are two restaurants one does noodles and the other does noodles but in galway you wouldnt have the market for both so an all in one venue would be perfect, their food is fat better than either chain and they are cheaper than both.

Love Yamamorri!

Actually, I'd forgotten about this place, it's really good.

I'd be happy with any of them tbh, some variation from the same old ding dong would be great!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

AN AIR SHOW!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭galwaybob

A Knockin Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd love a proper PizzaHut, one you could sit in and have table service. Have to say I'm a bit partial to the odd Lush bath-bomb too but keep that quiet ok? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Don't mind prezzies of Lush but can't stand walking inside the doors of the premises - sensory pong overload!

Don't they have a mail order service too (I know, I know, you need to sniff first:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

+1 for Yamamorri! I loved that place!

Would love an ASDA and George to open...but cant see that happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

First of, nice thread.

A Pizzahut wouldn't be bad. Used go there all the time in Germany.

Besides that, a cheap Doner Kebap shop would be bloody swell. Around €8 for one in most places, daylight robbery.

Actually surprised that noone mentioned starbucks (unless i didnt see it, sorry then). Just an observation, dont care either way if Galway were to get one.

A proper sweet shop might be nice, dont think theres any of them in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

I'd love a proper PizzaHut, one you could sit in and have table service. Have to say I'm a bit partial to the odd Lush bath-bomb too but keep that quiet ok? ;)

Damn it, sorry only saw that now. With ya on that one though, PizzaHut is really good

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Intimidator

Don't go near Born in Galway, they let me go recently, they mark up everything they receive to sell, they treat their staff like **** and the owners are using it as a tax write-off for their closed Club Denim stores around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Don't go near Born in Galway, they let me go recently, they mark up everything they receive to sell, they treat their staff like **** and the owners are using it as a tax write-off for their closed Club Denim stores around the country.

Bitter much? Why did they let you go? Over staffed or were ya huffin paint thinners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Sorry to hear you had been let go but be careful what you say as unless you have facts to back it up, you could be seen as being libellous or slanderous (can never remember which is which).
    Oh and as an aside isnt putting a markup on what they buy what a shop is supposed to do in trying to make a profit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Intimidator, this thread is about what shops we need, not for vengeance posting. Don't spread rumours.

Back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Born... I haven't been in town much.. where is it exactly anyone know???
    Would love a nosey on Saturday...
    Would LOVE Starbucks
    NEED a good mens clothes shop.
    Also Heatons, Halfords....

I don't think much of Born. For all the money they're charging on clothes, I find it highly odd how a lot of the shelving units are made out of pallets. Yes, ordinary pallets.

Galway doesn't need another fast food place. A Wagamama would be brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

RuthieRose wrote: »
    Born... I haven't been in town much.. where is it exactly anyone know???
    Would love a nosey on Saturday...
    Would LOVE Starbucks
    NEED a good mens clothes shop.
    Also Heatons, Halfords....

I'm from donegal.. I'm astounded how Letterkenny a big enough town (not even a city) has shops like Halfords, Heatons (3 floors of one), a huge New Look, TK Maxx, a Jack and Jones, Costa, Homebase... I could go on! What's wrong with Galway (I know rents are high but theres a bigger market). The trade is slow half of them are on the brink of closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

First off, thanks to all for the posts and ideas. What I was after was something I could set up myself selling xyz. So I suppose it was a tough question. I thinks starbucks would be great but don't do franchises! Alot of the others are the same and only open franchises themselves - your average Joe or Joesephine wouldn't be able to. We'll see I suppose!

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I'm from donegal.. I'm astounded how Letterkenny a big enough town (not even a city) has shops like Halfords, Heatons (3 floors of one), a huge New Look, TK Maxx, a Jack and Jones, Costa, Homebase... I could go on! What's wrong with Galway (I know rents are high but theres a bigger market). The trade is slow half of them are on the brink of closing down.

Tell me about it... Now we have 2 New Looks, TKMaxx opens next month, This Born shop is in the papers for stocking Jack Jones, We have B&Q, Atlantic Homecare, woodies and loads of other stuff but we are missing some good value shops. Plane and simple. I do love it here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

how about a second hand uniform shop now that the cash straped parents are finding it hard to fork out big money for crest of the school. never mind the cofee shops and eatery,s . theres second hand book shops ,why not second hand uniform shop. they will never go out of print like books do , always be need,d ,.i was looking for one this year and i dont think i was the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

RuthieRose wrote: »
    Tell me about it... Now we have 2 New Looks, TKMaxx opens next month, This Born shop is in the papers for stocking Jack Jones, We have B&Q, Atlantic Homecare, woodies and loads of other stuff but we are missing some good value shops. Plane and simple. I do love it here!!

Where is the second new look (theres one in the shopping centre in town) and wheres B&Q?

If I could ask for some shops I'd ask for

H&M
    Starbucks
    Bigger River Island
    Pull and Bear

First off, thanks to all for the posts and ideas. What I was after was something I could set up myself selling xyz. So I suppose it was a tough question. I thinks starbucks would be great but don't do franchises! Alot of the others are the same and only open franchises themselves - your average Joe or Joesephine wouldn't be able to. We'll see I suppose!

Judginy by your name I think your on to a winner... What we need (especially in the West) is a good value home store. We need a shop that sells all the little bits and pieces for your kitcken, bathroom, bedroom etc. that you either can't get anywhere or its way too expensive. (Atlantic and woodies prime example)
    We don't have Ikea but they have a great range of low cost bits and bobs that make your house a home. You have to go to them (In Dublin of course) and they don't do delivery or mail order. And they don't cost the world. Sink drainers, nice little herb pot rack you can hang on your wall and grow your own herbs in your kitchen. Space saving things for apartments and small houses - Slim coat and shoe storage for inside a tiny hall. A selection of nice boxes to store things in your small sitting room. Little things like that. One of thoes shops that has EVERYTHING you need and you will keep going back.
    Good luck with what ever you decide!

• Advertisement

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Where is the second new look (theres one in the shopping centre in town) and wheres B&Q?

If I could ask for some shops I'd ask for

H&M
    Starbucks
    Bigger River Island
    Pull and Bear

There is a New Look in Knocknacarra and B&Q is beside it along with a NEXT and a Pahrmacy with a place upstairs you can have coffee and print off you digital photos. A big Dunnes too. Aldi are trying to get in there but there is some planning issue!!!
    H&M - LOVE this place
    Starbucks - Large Hazelnut Cappachino with cream!!
    River Island... Not a mad fan but needs to be bigger yes.
    Pull and Bear is in Debenhams! is that still there???

Advertisement