Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of shop does Galway need?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

RuthieRose wrote: »
    Judginy by your name I think your on to a winner... What we need (especially in the West) is a good value home store. We need a shop that sells all the little bits and pieces for your kitcken, bathroom, bedroom etc. that you either can't get anywhere or its way too expensive. (Atlantic and woodies prime example)
    We don't have Ikea but they have a great range of low cost bits and bobs that make your house a home. You have to go to them (In Dublin of course) and they don't do delivery or mail order. And they don't cost the world. Sink drainers, nice little herb pot rack you can hang on your wall and grow your own herbs in your kitchen. Space saving things for apartments and small houses - Slim coat and shoe storage for inside a tiny hall. A selection of nice boxes to store things in your small sitting room. Little things like that. One of thoes shops that has EVERYTHING you need and you will keep going back.
    Good luck with what ever you decide!

Theres a huge shop in Derry like that called Dunelm Mills, try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lilyfiodan

Bershka, Promod, Zara, Pull & Bear or even larger stores for exiatin shops like Oasis ,A Wear- All small & not much choice comparing to the same stores in other cities

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Galway needs more independant locally run stores. Otherwise we just turn into another clone town that could be anywhere in UK or Ireland. Its would be a shame to lose Griffiths bakery, Anthony Ryan, Zhivagos etc on Shop Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Theres a huge shop in Derry like that called Dunelm Mills, try that.
    Excellant... I will.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

Excellant... I will.
    Thanks!

Here's their site BTW http://www.dunelm-mill.com/Default.asp?&cookie_test=1

Pull and Bear is in Debenhams! is that still there???

Nope, Red Herring (a debenams brand) replaced them. They used to be in the old Roches Stores too, good shop... it's opened up again in Dublin and Belfast.

Thats along the lines of what I'm on about.

Nope, Red Herring (a debenams brand) replaced them. They used to be in the old Roches Stores too, good shop... it's opened up again in Dublin and Belfast.

I new there was something about it. Yeah Liked Pull and Bear stuff.
    Off to get a coffee... Dreaming of Starbucks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

A travel agents that sells only one way tickets out of the place. Or a pest control shop that sells "Knack Spray" ( along the same line as fly spray):D

• Advertisement

I new there was something about it. Yeah Liked Pull and Bear stuff.
    Off to get a coffee... Dreaming of Starbucks!!!

We don't even have a costa!

But does Galway really need another cafe though?

As I've said previously and as others have said before, Galway needs a men's clothes shop. A dedicated one. Not just some tiny corner in an even bigger store (I'm looking at you, Pennies and New Look!)

I wonder if there are people with redundancy payments looking to set out on their own?

I haven't seen many empty shops being occupied but haven't really been looking out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Ah god no please keep bloody Starbucks well away from Galway - crap coffee, its the coffee equivalent of McDonalds, with poor ethics, fair trade etc. Every other country is trying to keep Starbucks from their high streets not encourage them!! Independent coffee shops are way way better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Webbs wrote: »
    Ah god no please keep bloody Starbucks well away from Galway - crap coffee, its the coffee equivalent of McDonalds, with poor ethics, fair trade etc. Every other country is trying to keep Starbucks from their high streets not encourage them!! Independent coffee shops are way way better

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Webbs wrote: »
    Agreed this town already has better coffee imo.
    The best servers are in the small one on shop street next to the crêpe place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

Agreed this town already has better coffee imo.
    The best servers are in the small one on shop street next to the crêpe place.

totally agree, nice coffee friendly staff....but....Lavazza is the Italian equivalent of a Starbucks so where does one draw the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Forget Starbucks actually, we need an Insomnia. They seriously have the best hot chocolate I've ever tasted, even better than the one in Bananaphoblact (I've no idea how that's spelled) was. They have nice cupcakes too.

A decent second hand clothes shop would be good too, one that doesn't just sell rubbish from Penney's and Dunnes at the same price it was to buy it new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

There defintely was an Insomnia in Hughes & Hughes bookstore a few years back before they changed it to Tiki Cafe. Not sure why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Men's clothes shop. An actual dedicated Men's clothes shop, rather than just some corner with a few rails.

Its called Anthony ryans

Its been their so long ya think ya would of noticed:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Secoundrow wrote: »
    Its called Anthony ryans

Its been their so long ya think ya would of noticed:rolleyes:

A dedicated young mens clothes shop that wont cost you an arm and a leg to buy anything in.

The main problem with Starbucks is that when one opens up, you're more or less allowing a flood of them. Keep them the heck out of Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

KFC

i hear this is on the way for galway...

benj wrote: »
    i hear this is on the way for galway...

KFC is open in the shopping centre. Up where the Kilmore was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

KFC is open in the shopping centre. Up where the Kilmore was before.

Nah, that's Burger King

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

moonflower wrote: »
    Nah, that's Burger King
    it dont matter what name it is , same crap unhealthy food .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

A dedicated young mens clothes shop that wont cost you an arm and a leg to buy anything in.

Hey
    Burton & Mx active (headford rd sc.)
    Hanley & co, headford rd and shopstreet(ish) -expensive I know but I like their jeans

Or Top man is ur into their type of clothes not my taste

and im 18 and I shop occasionaly in ryans they have some alright stuff .

Personaly Id like a kfc just to try it then when im bitterly dissapointed they can close down and go away:D
    (I hate burger king its nastyer than McD)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

The main problem with Starbucks is that when one opens up, you're more or less allowing a flood of them. Keep them the heck out of Galway!

john deelys, next to the saturday market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

deeleys closed down last week

we need a mens clothes shop that has stuff with reasonable prices! i saw a plaid shirt in hanleys for 99euro, i loled!
    hello, recession!

skelliser wrote: »
    deeleys closed down last week

we need a mens clothes shop that has stuff with reasonable prices! i saw a plaid shirt in hanleys for 99euro, i loled!
    hello, recession!

Fear not. TKMaxx opens in a couple of weeks. Its big so lots of plaid shirts!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I can't wait for TK Maxx

Cannot. Wait. :D

Advertisement