Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electro

• 12-05-2009 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Who are you favourite electro artists right now?

Is the scene on the decline?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I thought it was dead?:pac:

Mr. Oizo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭InTranceWeTrust

I personally hate the ****. I also hate the fact that it is so often played along side indie music in so called indie/electro nights which attract ****-head students (I'm a student, but not a ****-head, or so I'd like to think! :D)

Why is indie being played in dance clubs? How can one dance properly to it? Why is it being played alongside electro? What have these two musical genres got to do with each other? :mad:

Why are students so intent on getting "****ed up" on an cocktail of alcohol and any rubbish drugs they can manage to get their hands on instead of molding beautifully crafted mindscapes from a carefully selected array of substances?

Give me some classic trance any day, its my guilty pleasure! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Why is indie being played in dance clubs? How can one dance properly to it? Why is it being played alongside electro? What have these two musical genres got to do with each other? :mad:
    In the right combination, they make a lot of money. I think that's about the extent of the genre at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

I personally hate the ****. I also hate the fact that it is so often played along side indie music in so called indie/electro nights which attract ****-head students (I'm a student, but not a ****-head, or so I'd like to think! :D)

Why are students so intent on getting "****ed up" on an cocktail of alcohol and any rubbish drugs they can manage to get their hands on instead of molding beautifully crafted mindscapes from a carefully selected array of substances?

Give me some classic trance any day, its my guilty pleasure! :D

Indie in electro clubs? Weird, I thought the two would be poles apart. How did the 808s sit with organic drums and guitars?

Photojoe wrote: »
    How did the 808s sit with organic drums and guitars?

They did not sit well at all, in fact they made my ears very sad indeed.

Edit: Anyway most of the electro is mass produced on software, the days of the 808s and 909s are long gone, save for a few dedicated artists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Electro will come from the dead whenever daft punk comes back with a new album. I love electro! I know alot of people on this fourm dont like it though. My fav artists are probly soulwax/2 many djs there the guys that really got me into electronic music back in 07 before that i listened to alot of indie rock music.

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Electro will come from the dead whenever daft punk comes back with a new album. I love electro! I know alot of people on this fourm dont like it though. My fav artists are probly soulwax/2 many djs there the guys that really got me into electronic music back in 07 before that i listened to alot of indie rock music.
    So you would see Daft Punk as the godfathers of electro?

I love electro... i listened to alot of indie rock music.

Hmmm...

I would see Daft Punk as being too varied a musical act to fit into a single genre. They certainly have some electro influences, but their music crosses boundaries and is too broad to be generic. They have a sound of their own and I think that is one of the reasons why they are so popular, even with people who aren't into electronic music.

I wouldn't say godfathers now but there 1 of the biggest electro artists out there if not the biggest for some people. For me it would probly be soulwax.
    What about yourself who would you consider the godfathers of electro ?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say godfathers now but there 1 of the biggest electro artists out there if not the biggest for some people. For me it would probly be soulwax.
    What about yourself who would you consider the godfathers of electro ?
    Oh ok but don't laugh at me. I suppose Kraftwerk would have to be sitting there at the top, then you'd have cybotron and guys like Egptian Lover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

this is the kind of thing that i like to think of when i think of electro, dont think the genre is dead, just think that all the mainstream stuff like daft punk, soulwax and the kind of indie dance crossover stuff has blurred the line as to what electro is supposed to be all about

Lowfish:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 liar

i dont see the point in getting hung up on styles of music. but in answer to the question when did 808s fit in with guitars and organic drums. alec empire, nine inch nails and atari teenage riot are perfect examples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

am more into techno but electro can be interesting / fun

kraftwerk of course started it all off
    antony rother is excellent
    I-F "space invaders are smoking grass" and other old tunes are cool

boys noize are good, as are tiga / ajax (as dj's and producers)

I think some of the big names like LCD soundsystem, fischerspooner are very unimaginative, not sure if they are really "electro"

here's an interesting chart : http://mickey.tv/charts/?s=Electro&p=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Edit: Anyway most of the electro is mass produced on software, the days of the 808s and 909s are long gone, save for a few dedicated artists.
    sorry tp burst your bubble man but the majority of electronic music is made with software.trance being probably one of the biggest ones.

seannash wrote: »
    sorry tp burst your bubble man but the majority of electronic music is made with software.trance being probably one of the biggest ones.

Yeah I know that man. Its not that I hate music made with software, I prefer the old school sound of analogue equipment. Trance is terrible for that, a lot of the artists are using the same plug-ins and all which results in a lot of today's trance sounding really similar.

I like the older trance, early 90s being my favorite, Commander Tom, Emmanuel Top to name a few. I like the gatecrasher style trance too, like Storm, CRW, Push, Gouryella. From the way it sounds I'm sure this is made (mostly) with hardware, but would anyone care to correct me on that? I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah I know that man. Its not that I hate music made with software, I prefer the old school sound of analogue equipment. Trance is terrible for that, a lot of the artists are using the same plug-ins and all which results in a lot of today's trance sounding really similar.

I like the older trance, early 90s being my favorite, Commander Tom, Emmanuel Top to name a few. I like the gatecrasher style trance too, like Storm, CRW, Push, Gouryella. From the way it sounds I'm sure this is made (mostly) with hardware, but would anyone care to correct me on that? I'm not 100% sure.
    id be pretty confident that push,picotto and tiesto and corsten used software.not exclusivley but for the most part.id be pretty confident that they didnt use drum machines.
    not too ruffle your feathers but i dont think you really would be able to tell if a track was made with software or hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

I'm a big electro house fan...however I do agree that it is being raped of it's identity and diluted beyond belief; this is thanks to just about every new cheesy pop chart track (especially rnb for some reason) using electro samples since around spring 2008.

There is still some damn good electro out there though, just harder to find! Thats what makes it fun i guess...

• Advertisement

acman wrote: »
    I'm a big electro house fan...however I do agree that it is being raped of it's identity and diluted beyond belief; this is thanks to just about every new cheesy pop chart track (especially rnb for some reason) using electro samples since around spring 2008.

There is still some damn good electro out there though, just harder to find! Thats what makes it fun i guess...
    i wouldnt call myself a fan but i do sometimes enjoy it.i always check dabruck and klein releases and hook and sling.
    calvertron is doing some decent stuff though it can get a bit mental.
    its kinda mutated into a fidget house type thing,thats where i hear most of the decent electro house.
    i fecking cant stand the baltimore electrohouse stuff.it needs to stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I can't understand why people keep saying electro is dead, most of the big artists are still as big as there were last year or the yeear before, even bigger, I mean if you look at all the festival line-ups this summer pretty much everything in the dance line-ups is electro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

I'm sorry, but the people who say electro is dead are the people who don't listen to electro (a lot). Boys Noize are still going very strong, as are Tiga, The Bloody Beatroots, Justice. Newer acts such as Digitalism are on the rise, and lets not forget our local lads The Japanese Popstars. Just because it has become more mainstream doesn't mean it has/is dying. The genre of Dance is a hell of a lot more mainstream than it was once upon a time, yet still good tracks are coming out. And who cares who listens to electro, maybe it makes it "less cool", but that doesn't change how it sounds, maybe from a few artists but not the majority.

t0mm wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but the people who say electro is dead are the people who don't listen to electro (a lot). Boys Noize are still going very strong, as are Tiga, The Bloody Beatroots, Justice. Newer acts such as Digitalism are on the rise, and lets not forget our local lads The Japanese Popstars. Just because it has become more mainstream doesn't mean it has/is dying. The genre of Dance is a hell of a lot more mainstream than it was once upon a time, yet still good tracks are coming out. And who cares who listens to electro, maybe it makes it "less cool", but that doesn't change how it sounds, maybe from a few artists but not the majority.
    they dont actually mean dead.they mean its losing popularity.people are sick of it.it was huge a few years ago now tech house is taken over.
    people are still making it but its not getting as much airplay or being played out by as many big name djs.look at the people who used to play it and now are playing tech house.

Its the fact that it has changed from a respectable genre to a very boring and cliched one that can now be accessible to the mainstream through those acts you have mentioned.

Another thing id maybe say about electro is that it fans/ artists dont seem to share the mentality of other genres of dance.

So on the one hand it is dying because nobody plays it anymore, and on the other hand it is dying because it has become mainstream. Again, what does mainstream have anything to do with it? The people who won't listen to a certain kind of music because it is popular are far, far worse than those who will listen to it because it is popular. While I will agree that it is past its hayday popularity wise, the genre is far from dying, how can it with new acts still emerging and gaining popularity? Disco was apparently dead, then Calvin Harris turns up with an modern twist to an old genre and it is born again. Electro isn't dead, we have just grown accustomed to it, and are now looking for something new. This is just a natural part of being human, and is no reflection on the quality of electro coming out these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,782 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

cant go wrong with vitalic, dopplereffekt, nathan fake, para one, presets, boyz noize, digitalism, shameboy, mstrkrft, simian mobile disco, surkin, Bloody Beetroots and more besides. oh and give the fabric series and fabriclive series a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

So on the one hand it is dying because nobody plays it anymore, and on the other hand it is dying because it has become mainstream. Again, what does mainstream have anything to do with it? The people who won't listen to a certain kind of music because it is popular are far, far worse than those who will listen to it because it is popular.

Because it has become so mainstream it has become saturated with utter rubbish and people out to make a quick euro. People who are there for the music will be overwhelmed and disillusioned going to gigs with a majority of bandwagon muppets who think jumping around into people and acting the bollox is the way they should act. People who enjoy the tunes and want to dance will stop going. The bandwagon scenesters will move onto something else. Then who is left?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Mau5

my favorites would be boys noize, justice, bloody beetroots, busy p, crookers, soulwax, chewy chocolate cookies, fake blood and kavinsky :D

• Advertisement

Davei141 wrote:
    Because it has become so mainstream it has become saturated with utter rubbish and people out to make a quick euro. People who are there for the music will be overwhelmed and disillusioned going to gigs with a majority of bandwagon muppets who think jumping around into people and acting the bollox is the way they should act. People who enjoy the tunes and want to dance will stop going. The bandwagon scenesters will move onto something else. Then who is left?

While I see entirely what you mean, I beleive the music will always be around simpley because the producers enjoy making it, and there will always be people who enjoy listening to it. I think there will always be those who will love it and stick with it. Hell, some of the indie scenesters may even convert and keep the music alive that way.

While I see entirely what you mean, I beleive the music will always be around simpley because the producers enjoy making it, and there will always be people who enjoy listening to it. I think there will always be those who will love it and stick with it. Hell, some of the indie scenesters may even convert and keep the music alive that way.
    and im sure theres people making garage but you have to admit its lost its popularity.i dont think people stop making a genre of music but if electro goes the same way as uk garage with noone buying it i think youll find less and less people making it.producer these days gotta stay current while also keeping there individuality.rememebr when steve angello,mark knight,dave spoon came out they were all about electrohouse,now theyve moved on.toolroom records is a well respected record label in the tech house genre now but when they first came out there first couple of releases where electrohouse.
    there are genres that will always be popular,house,techno,deep house i just dont count electro as one that will eternally be popular

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

and im sure theres people making garage but you have to admit its lost its popularity.i dont think people stop making a genre of music but if electro goes the same way as uk garage with noone buying it i think youll find less and less people making it.producer these days gotta stay current while also keeping there individuality.rememebr when steve angello,mark knight,dave spoon came out they were all about electrohouse,now theyve moved on.toolroom records is a well respected record label in the tech house genre now but when they first came out there first couple of releases where electrohouse.
    there are genres that will always be popular,house,techno,deep house i just dont count electro as one that will eternally be popular

Electro-house or whatever the fck its called, yes, that should drift off in to the history of electronic music... and good riddance to it.

Real electro is a different story.

Ya cant really compare steve angello,mark knight and dave spoon to the likes of soulwax, boys noize, tiga, erol alkan, etc. The two groups have that different sound its like two different genres. I think the likes of soulwax, boys noize etc are staying on top of there game with fresh sounds unlike the others. In my opinion I dont see electro dying out anytime soon.

Ya cant really compare steve angello,mark knight and dave spoon to the likes of soulwax, boys noize, tiga, erol alkan, etc. The two groups have that different sound its like two different genres. I think the likes of soulwax, boys noize etc are staying on top of there game with fresh sounds unlike the others. In my opinion I dont see electro dying out anytime soon.
    those names where just to show you where the shift of the popularity has gone.
    i dont think those lads are producing anything original to be honest or fresh.
    they might be on top of there game but there game has become stale and stagnant in comparison to the other genres that are releasing more forward thinking material.how many times can you hear an electro bassline.
    anyway i dont see the point of these threads as it always just ends up with people defending there genre and others giving out about it
    but real electro as felix points out has nothing got to do with any of the artists you mentioned.there more on the electroclash/electrohouse tip.
    still enjoyable but not pushing anything new imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Felixdhc wrote: »

Real electro is a different story.

this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

In my opinion I dont see electro dying out anytime soon.

I agree with you - boys noize and tiga and the likes will probably be popular for quite a while- but I wouldn't call them electro.Tiga at least has quite a poppy sound for the most part.

Alex Ridha is a good producer and so he will probably be popular for quite a while, but by changing his sound every so often. I have a feeling that his new album will be slightly less mainstream than his early stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

Deadmau5 is continuing to impress me, and MSTRKRFT are doing some amazing things. Had a mate who saw Crookers there in Wax last year, said they threw in 'One Step Beyond' by Madness! I'd say definitely keep your eye on them if you're into electro. Arveene and Misk anyone?

Edit: I'm aware that Deadmau5 is much more house than electro, but he manages to creep into conversations I've had about electro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

deadmau5, electro. Good grief chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

F*cking hell why are there so many bloody genres of dance music? I can't tell the difference for the most part. It absolutely does my head in when I say I like x type of music and but then somebody tries to get into a big discussion with me about why x type of music is not actually x type of music.

Anyway, I like electro. I think.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    F*cking hell why are there so many bloody genres of dance music? I can't tell the difference for the most part. It absolutely does my head in when I say I like x type of music and but then somebody tries to get into a big discussion with me about why x type of music is not actually x type of music.

Anyway, I like electro. I think.

People that are true fans of music know a lot about music, and its annoying when people mislabel things.

• Advertisement

nah_biy! wrote: »
    deadmau5, electro. Good grief chief.
    SteveDon wrote: »
    its annoying when people mislabel things.

Just like me ;)

I (mistakenly) threw Deadmau5 in there moreso because it's what I'm listening to at the moment, and did actually correct myself at the end, though I wholeheartedly apologise for any offense caused :pac:. That said, if one can argue the electro merits of Daft Punk with an album like 'Homework'...?

Stevieo wrote: »
    Just like me ;)

I (mistakenly) threw Deadmau5 in there moreso because it's what I'm listening to at the moment, and did actually correct myself at the end, though I wholeheartedly apologise for any offense caused :pac:. That said, if one can argue the electro merits of Daft Punk with an album like 'Homework'...?

I think Deadmau5 actually does do some electro house stuff, cant say im a fan of him myself

i was referring to the user i quoted

i was referring to the user i quoted

Ah no, I know that. I was just giving them a freshly squeezed example!

People that are true fans of music know a lot about music, and its annoying when people mislabel things.

You don't have catogorise everything to be a true music fan.

You don't have catogorise everything to be a true music fan.

Its a matter of knowing what you are talking about more than anything.

Ah whatever. If I like a song I'll listen to it. I couldn't give a sh*t about genres and all that. But each to their own!

Ah whatever. If I like a song I'll listen to it. I couldn't give a sh*t about genres and all that. But each to their own!

this is fair enough but if you enter into a discussion about music it helps to know genres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

this is fair enough but if you enter into a discussion about music it helps to know genres

+1

If you don't know any genre's chances are you haven't searched for any music that isn't on the telly/radio. It's like the answer "I like everything." Everything usually mean's what is easily accessible.

It screams bandwagon jumper. Don't proclaim to like thing's you have no idea
    about then get offended when somebody corrects you. It's a bit like claiming to like rugby with the recent success and then having no idea of the rules. Don't expect people to take you seriously.

That sounds fairer. I won't get into any discussions then!

I'm sorry. I was just in a pissed off mood last night and when that guy said that you're not a true music fan if you don't know genres it irritated me.

And Dave, to be honest I know most dance genres. I just sometimes have difficulty differentiating between them because I think a lot of dance music in different genres sounds very similar. Sorry if I offended anyone or anything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Davei141 wrote: »
    Don't proclaim to like thing's you have no idea about

people can like whatever they want, for whatever reasons they like and whether or not they know the details about them or not

i like watching movies, but by christ i know bugger all about them

i also like listening to good guitar players, but im rubbish at it myself and dont know the name of more than 10 famous guitarists

i also like looking at interesting paintings, without knowing anything about their style, era, influence etc, but that doesnt make the fact that i like them any more or less correct than the art guru who leaves and breathes it

• Advertisement
Advertisement